Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #15

Rarely was it a problem except during a torrential storm. When it stopped we just had to bring the slide in a short distance to get rid of the excess water. However... if you're outside standing next to the slide when your partner brings the slide in you won't like it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
One of the main reasons I have toppers is so that water won't be on my slide. I saw a story of an RVer that didn't have toppers to start with and after rains when he brought the slides in, the water on top of them cascaded onto the floor.
If this is a real issue, a small beach ball put under the topper will keep water from pooling

I always raised the tongue jack (TT) until the water drained off. The re-level and continue tear down. This will give the topper a little time to air dry and not be rolled up wet. Simple solution. Works with a 5th wheel too.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
We are all about solving water flow problems with rvs. For many years we have had a problem with water pooling on our large slide toppers. We sent a design to Stone Vos and Carefree Of Colorado that solved the problem but they were not interested. So, basically this is what we did 6 mos. ago that solved the pooling problem for ever. We did this to a brand new set of Stone Vos toppers that my wife and I installed on our coach.

After a heavy rain storm and with your rv LEVEL get up on your roof and look to see where the water is gathering at the deepest point. Using a very sharp razor blade go to the middle of the deepest point and CUT a 1" X design drain hole. Yes, that is what I said. X design drain hole. This allows the water to shed (drain) but will not interfere with the topper doing its real job of keeping debris off your slides. As you retract your slides the X design drain hole rolls up perfectly and stays in line. For the past 6 months we have proof of concept.

Please let me hear from others as to your thoughts.

Happy Camping

I could see why carefree was not interested, who wants a hole in there topper. Carefree already has a frame that keeps it from sagging at least mine does.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #18

ThePowells...
Unique thought--never occurred to me. Ouch!!!
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #19

I use it to make fun of our Sheriff's Department. I get to tell them that my kidney stones are bigger than their bullets.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #20

The water-shedding slide topper modification that I sent to Stone Vos and Carefree Of Colorado was a totally redesigned topper with the reinforced X design drain hole for water shedding and a rubber flap that would keep water from coming in from the top of the slide while sitting or retracting. My effort was to let other rvers know what has been working for us for 6 mos. just in case others were tired of the problem too.
When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb everyone thought why? [Mod Edit]
Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #21

Except your "solution" defeats the purpose of the product. One of the main reasons people have slide toppers is to keep water OFF the top of the slide.

If it works for you that's great. Most of us fail to see the value of intentionally causing our slide toppers to leak.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #22

According to Carefree Of Colorado slide toppers were designed to shed debris and keep your slide gaskets from getting damaged. They also admitted that because their topper design lays to flat with very little angle that it will on occasion gather water. That is why they are seeking a water shedding material that will allow water to permeate thru in small amounts.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water