Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Slide Toppers Water-Shedding Problem Solved

We are all about solving water flow problems with rvs. For many years we have had a problem with water pooling on our large slide toppers. We sent a design to Stone Vos and Carefree Of Colorado that solved the problem but they were not interested. So, basically this is what we did 6 mos. ago that solved the pooling problem for ever. We did this to a brand new set of Stone Vos toppers that my wife and I installed on our coach.
After a heavy rain storm and with your rv LEVEL get up on your roof and look to see where the water is gathering at the deepest point. Using a very sharp razor blade go to the middle of the deepest point and CUT a 1" X design drain hole. Yes, that is what I said. X design drain hole. This allows the water to shed (drain) but will not interfere with the topper doing its real job of keeping debris off your slides. As you retract your slides the X design drain hole rolls up perfectly and stays in line. For the past 6 months we have proof of concept.
Please let me hear from others as to your thoughts.

Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
As the slide topper flexes with the wind will the “x” tear?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

I would like to know how this works out in the long term--seems to me no 'hole' in anything ever gets smaller...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

if you want a drain hole you could used fabric glue to seal the edges so it will not tear further. I would worry about funneling large amounts of water into a specific area and overpowering the slide seal at that point. Then you have a leak.

An inflated pool doughnut stuffed in there should work
Old 06-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

One of the main reasons I have a slide topper is to keep the water off the top of the slide so it doesn't run all inside the motorhome when I bring the slide in.

After owning 6 motorhomes and 2 travel trailers over the past 20 years, I've found that water pooling on the slide topper causes no problems at all so I really don't understand why so many folks obsess over it.

Cutting a hole in the topper seems a poor solution for a problem that doesn't exist but to each his own. JMHO
Old 06-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
We are all about solving water flow problems with rvs. For many years we have had a problem with water pooling on our large slide toppers. We sent a design to Stone Vos and Carefree Of Colorado that solved the problem but they were not interested. So, basically this is what we did 6 mos. ago that solved the pooling problem for ever. We did this to a brand new set of Stone Vos toppers that my wife and I installed on our coach.
After a heavy rain storm and with your rv LEVEL get up on your roof and look to see where the water is gathering at the deepest point. Using a very sharp razor blade go to the middle of the deepest point and CUT a 1" X design drain hole. Yes, that is what I said. X design drain hole. This allows the water to shed (drain) but will not interfere with the topper doing its real job of keeping debris off your slides. As you retract your slides the X design drain hole rolls up perfectly and stays in line. For the past 6 months we have proof of concept.
Please let me hear from others as to your thoughts.

Happy Camping
You could have tried the Beach ball fix. Inflate a beach ball and put it under the low point. You can glue a string to the ball to remove it.

You can also use a small block of wood attached to a string glued to the ball to pull the ball into position.

It all depends upon how much work you want to do.

Or you can just put the ball under one side to direct the water off the other.

Also, some people have configured PVC pipes as a support in the center of the topper.

I'd first just put the beach ball on one side and see if that fixes the pooling in the center. Then move it towards the center if it doesn't.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

I would have a hard time cutting slits in my toppers.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #8

If you really want a hole and all the water draining onto the slide out I would suggest a small grommet would be a better choice. You can then add reinforcing around the bottom side.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

No way i am cutting into my topper and letting water run on top of the slide. Sounds like a pain to deal with the water when i bring my slides in. I do not see the pooling as a big deal. If it is windy, that usually helps drain the water. Or just hop up there and sweep the water off the topper after it rains. Or just pull the slide in and let the water fall off.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

A solution looking for a problem...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would like to know how this works out in the long term--seems to me no 'hole' in anything ever gets smaller...
I

Ever have 4 kidney stones between 9mm and 14mm, at the same time?
That one gets much smaller.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Is water pooling in the toppers a problem? What issues does it cause?

It's happened to us in a couple of heavy rains, but either evaporated or was ejected over the side when we brought in the slide. I didn't see any issues with it and they weren't sagging down and resting on the top of the slide, itself.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

Thanks for your comments. To answer some questions: A 1" X design drain hole will not tear and get larger. At least it hasn't done that on ours. Water weights 8 lbs. a gal and that down force is what opens the X drain and allows the water to leave. As the topper dries the X straightens out and when you retract the topper it rolls up perfectly. Using a super glue on the X edges is a good idea but so far after 6 mos. it hasn't been needed. You can't use a rubber grommet because it will get in the way of the smooth retract action of the topper.
Keep your comments coming.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
One of the main reasons I have toppers is so that water won't be on my slide. I saw a story of an RVer that didn't have toppers to start with and after rains when he brought the slides in, the water on top of them cascaded onto the floor.
If this is a real issue, a small beach ball put under the topper will keep water from pooling
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water