Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide Toppers worthwhile?

Slide Toppers. What purpose do they serve other than to keep debris off the slide? Why not just carry a small blower with an extention fitted with a elbow and blow off the leaves and pine straw.? Yes, they divert water, they eventually sag and then pool the water. Why do we waste money to buy and replace them? Are they worth the money? Thanks.
Steve
spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
KIX

IMHO the do all you say both positive and negative. In addition they make the roof of the slide out cooler because of the air space and shading. They're worth it to me.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
edj

There are plus & minus things to take into account. If one was camping in an area where there were a lot of trees dropping leaves/branches, the slide topper is a great convenience. Just run in the slide and all the garbage just falls off. You don't have to climb up on to the roof to clean the slide off. I have my doubts how well a blower would work from the ground. They also protect against water getting in to some extent.

The drawbacks are that they flap in the wind and are noisy with the wind flapping them up and down. They puddle up and end up with large amounts of water that run off at unexpected times.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spat
Slide Toppers. What purpose do they serve other than to keep debris off the slide? Why not just carry a small blower with an extention fitted with a elbow and blow off the leaves and pine straw.? Yes, they divert water, they eventually sag and then pool the water. Why do we waste money to buy and replace them? Are they worth the money? Thanks.
Steve
I wasn't aware that they were an option. Both units I've owned with slides have had toppers as an intregral part of the slide out design. I couldn't imagine life without them. All sorts of junk would accumulate on the top of the slides and would have to be manually cleaned off prior to retracting the slides. No sagging with either RV I've had slides/toppers on.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We used a small blower to clean off the slide tops, even made up a pipe with elbow to do it from the ground, works good on the short bedroom slides, but not the larger longer front slides. I had to climb up the ladder to do those.
Now that being said we use our main awning to keep the passenger slide clean and just replaced the other 3 toppers in October.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

It's worth it to me not to get on the roof on a rainy slippery day to clean leaves or pine straw.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #7

I have the problem of birds nesting inside mine when I not using my 5th wheel and usually have to take the covers off to pull out the nests a couple of times a year. Other than that, I like having them, surley don't want to carry a leaf blower or add to the list of things to do when it's time to hook up. I'm only a part timer, so its R&R as much as possible.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #8

Rvluvin I would try to figure some sort of removable wedge or curtain to close the openings when parked.
As far as worth it I wouldn't want to be without mine.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've had two big rigs, one with, one without. They do keep it a bit cooler and help prevent slide out leaks. But, they are heavy, expensive (if not 'standard') and can be noisy.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We did not have slide toppers on our last coach, 1995 Kountry Star and never missed them. Before I retracted the slide, I climbed our small ladder and pushed any debris off with a long handled broom. I now have them on our 2005 Revolution and I guess that I will not have to do the broom dance again...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi spat,
For me, slide toppers are worth it because they keep what is in the cup boards much cooler. I have one slide that does not have a topper. I open the main awning just enough to cover the slide. If I forget to do this the inside of the cup boards is very, very warm.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would not want to be without them !

Every other day run in the slide to clean the debris off, if in that sort of environment, and they do a great job.

Clean them and dont get into habit of leaving them extended for periods on non-use and 5 years is a good life expectancy.

They help protect seals, keep out excess dirt and debris, shed water well, keep the slide roof cooler in the sun and warmer in the cold and snow.

The few negatives are far outweighed by the many positives for me ! Luv em !

Stay safe, enjoy your travels