Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #1

Slider leaking

Hi all new to the forum and to RV world we just purchased a beautiful 2009 Coachman Freelander Mercedes diesel 3500 chassis. The coach has 14k on it and is in excellent condition. As I stated we are new to this and have been loving every minute .I left the slider open last week and it rained the dinette cushion's and table top got soaked. We dried everything out but unfortunately the dinette laminate is starting to lift my wife is in tears. I called Lazy Days our dealer and they can't seem to answer my question .They have told me that the gaskets are not water proof around the slider and that they are only a water shield I checked all the gaskets and they are intact and pliable I can't imagine having to close the slider every time it rains any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Now I need to find a new dinette top .The next question I have is how do you locate the studs on an outside wall I need ta add a mount and don't want to miss the stud when drilling. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It should NOT leak. I would take it back for service and repair.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you left the slide only partially out, it would leak. All the way in or out and it should be water proof and sealed. How is anyone supposed to live in one when it rains otherwise? Take it to them and complain.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Whoever you spoke too is sadly mistaken. Slide outs are not supposed to leak if it rains. Something is wrong & needs to be addressed. The only time mine leaked was during a Tropical Storm with about 50 mph winds blowing & even then it was very minimal.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What they may have meant is that the squeegee type wipers around the slide are there to wipe water from the slide as it is retracted. They may provide some sealing but that is not their primary role.
There are normally bulb type seals on the back and front side of the slide where the slide contacts the inner or outer wall of the RV. One or the other is compressed when the slide is extended or retracted.
Certainly the slides should not leak when fully extended or retracted.

Tags
leak, slide