Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Slides and Snow

How do you folks with slides handle a light snow situation. This is our first slide equipped coach and the weather forecast is for "some" snow overnight on Christmas. Our travel plan keeps us in place long enough for the snow/ice to melt away. Should I pull in the slides before the snow/ice event or just make sure there is no frozen water on top before we pull them in to travel?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The last time we had ice/snow, I forgot to pull in the slides. All was fine as the snow/ice slid off. I have awnings on my slides. The last RV I had didn't have awnings and I would get a step ladder and push broom and clean as best I could. This worked with snow/ice leaves, wallnuts, etc. Didn't have problems either way. So, if you have awnings, you should be ok. But, if you can rest better, bring in the slides before the snow. Enjoy the winter as it is beautiful.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I would pull the slides in. The last time we left them out, the snow on the roof melted, the water ran onto the slide toppers and froze into a big chunk of ice. Ice doesn't come off of the fabric to well.

Best to bring the slides in.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

I have the ZipDee covers that come out with the slide and then I can hook and pull a shade type addition over the window. I know a lot of folks live full time in the coach during winter months so there must be some leeway. Be a real pain for them to have to close the slides and scrunch up for a week or so while the snow melted off.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

You said you will be in one place long enough for snow/ice to melt. That solves your problem, leave slides out. Our previous 5er didn't have toppers, so I raised the 5er front about 2" so water/melt would always flow to one end and run off. I always carried a long-handled push broom to clear the slide roof if we had to move before snow melted.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I got about a 9" wet dump one day in Monument Valley and went up with the broom and cleaned off the covers over the slides, around the vents and off of the solar panel. I had lots of folks asking me to go up and do theirs, they just didn't want to pay me the $100 to do it. As you can judge by my price I wasn't all that interested in doing it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

While it may not be needed, if we are going to have possible snow or high winds, I bring our slides in. We did not on one trip that we only got a couple inches of snow which was the wet kind. it has warmed up just enough for the snow to melt a little and theh freeze. Had a heck of a time getting it frozen stuff off so the slides could be brought back in.
Now we just play it on the 'safe side'.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote