Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Our coach is a three slide unit - living room slide on the curbside, a bed slide on the curbside - and a full wall slide on the roadside. With all slides in - we've basically got a walkway down the center of the coach. We can get to the midship bathroom, open the refridgerator, sit at the kitchen table, use the kitchen countertop, use the gas cooktop and/or microwave as well as get to any cabinet in the kitchen/salon and midship bathroom.

We can't get into the rear bath without going over the bed (although one in the bathroom - access to anything/everything in the rear bath is unencumbered). Getting into the wardrobe drawers that are built into the wallslide (that are at the foot of the bed) is not possible with the slides closed.

I won't lie - while we can move around and get to stuff when the slides are closed - trying to "live" in it with the slides in is not easy. BUT, when we stop and open the slides - we've got a ton of space. Sure, it would be nice if there was more room when the slides are in - but I certainly wouldn't trade away the space I have when the slides are out for more space when they're in.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
We agree with Norman about the tradeoff with the slides open vs closed. While it is not really convenient with the slides closed we can do everything we need to do.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Actually SpaceNorman and Gordon may have answered my initial question, which I think I could have worded better.

My main concern was the newer models with slides on both sides. We have no problems with our current coach with a slide on only one side. I was concerned with usefulness with all slides in. I was wondering if two opposing slides came in so far as to essentially eliminate a walkway or aisle down the middle of the coach or fifth wheel. Apparently on some units the aisle does exist.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #18

On our coach with four slides, only a few drawers are blocked when the slides are in. We would have to crawl into bed, but it can be done. We can walk through (as far as the bed) and cook, open the refrigerator, watch TV, take a nap, eat lunch and have coffee, and use the bathroom. These things are important, but the builders knew this and planned around it.

I agree you should check it out, but it's probably going to be all right. Just MHO.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 AM   #19
Motorhomes generally have better access with the slides in than 5th wheels because motorhomes are designed to have people inside when they're driving down the road while 5th wheels are not supposed to carry passengers.

In our 5th wheel, we can get to the bathroom and the refrigerator, but very little else. We can't even walk to the back of the rig because we have slides on both sides that butt up against the kitchen island when they're in. If we stop for lunch, we have to either eat in the truck or at a picnic table at the rest stop. We are willing to live with it because access is better than some 5th wheel floorplans we looked at and because we can access the 2 things that are most important to us - the bathroom and fridge.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #20
Ones we looked at with kitchen islands do pose access problems. Maybe not all, but certainly the ones we looked at.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
This is a big deal! We can get in the bathroom, and the refrigerator, don't need much more than that! Regards
2009 Monaco Camelot 425 HP cunmins ISL 40QDP
Toad- 2011 ford- flex tow 4 wheel down
rvadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #22
We have 1 slide for LR, and kitchen. The ONLY thing we cannot do with the slide in is open the sleeper couch (double-bed). The longest time we have spend in one spot though is 4 months.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
I am just curious:

Can you get to and use everything (toilet, stove, fridge, etc.) when the slides are closed on your motorhome or 5th wheel or TT? This was a key for us when we bought our latest one some four years ago.

But it looks as though all these opposing slides will preclude that. Since floor plans always show the slides extended, it is a bit difficult to be completely sure. Am I right or wrong?

We can get to everything except the bedroom closet, which we would never need while driving! It's a little close walking between the loveseat/recliners and the couch but not really a problem.
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #24

Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I was amazed at the number of coaches that are useless closed up, one and I don't remember the brand prevented access to the bathroom when closed.

Worst I've seen , friends with a two door TT, bathroom was accessible through the bed room door with slides in.
BUT, the switch for the water pump was in the kitchen , and to get to it you had to extend the living room slide or crawl across the kitchen counter.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote