Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #15

Without identifying the 'Slimy RV Service Center', this is nothing more than a rant and has about as much value as an anonymous letter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just didn't think it appropriate, but the more I think about it, I wouldn't want any fellow RVr to have to suffer the fate of this crook. The name of the place is Best Automotive & Motorhome and they are in Arvada, Colorado. I would just caution anyone who sees them at any of the RV shows to stop and think before you choose this company.
I was able to call around and get great recommendations from other reputable dealers and service centers on where to have my generac serviced and I dropped it off Thursday. So, we shall see what the outcome is.
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #18

Yes, thank you.
The Internet is an extremely powerful tool and spreading knowledge and experience with it serves a number of purposes; not the least of which is to keep people from being suckered as well as being useful to hold the bad players accountable.

I have added this company on my "Places to avoid" list.

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall
Funny feeling that it may be against our rules to name the culprit.
I'm glad I was wrong. We need info like this. Thanks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #20

Me too, Cliff.
A site devoted to helping RVers wouldn't be much good if it disallowed information that helped an RVer avoid getting screwed.
But on the other hand, the advertisers referenced on this site all appear to be reputable, which is also very good info and I appreciate that too.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #21

As long as we are talking slime there are two gas stations in Needles California.
One is a Shell next to it is a Mobile highest gas price in town then they walk around your RV touching your tires and looking under your RV while you are pumping gas then try to tell you that it looks like something is wrong with the suspension or tires are not wearing right.
I let them quote me a price for replacing one equalizer $800.00 about four times the cost.
My RV was only 6 month old at the time
so be ware if you see 5 or 6 mechanics sitting on chairs at a gas station drive on
these two stations are on the north end of town
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #22

And that'd be just about the time I said something less than complimentary or recommended a physically impossible excercise.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got a phone call from the owner of the place asking me if I got my generator installed and wondered if I needed to bring it back in or if was working properly. I told a little lie just to hear what he had to say, knowing full well they didn't do anything to it, I told him we put it on and it's running like a dream. He sounded shocked when he asked me if I was sure... Then he said well it sounds like an intermittent problem and he recommended I bring the coach in so they could check it out fully. Needless to say I couldn't believe what nonsense was still spying out of his mouth and I was so angry I just let him have it... As you might all be able to tell, I'm quite wordy, and by the end of my sermon HE hung up on me... I threatened to call the BBB he told me to kiss his rear end, I told him to mark a spot... Anyway, I let my emotions get the best of me, but when he hung up I felt better... Anyway... Undue stress...
As for generac, they're next on my [moderator edit] list... This generator has less than 30 hours on it and now it wouldn't even be good as a boat anchor... I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear from the generator guys what they find out... I'll keep you all posted!
Happy VD Tuesday!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
I learned the hard way that Generac doesn’t manufacture anything. They are assemblers of components that they purchase from various suppliers, ie. when a contract expires they let new contracts to differant manufactuers so the same series have differant componets manufactured by differant factories. This is also why so many repair shops are hesitant to try to repair them it is almost impossiable to cross referance any of their repair parts.. This I learned from a local repair shop that Generac listed on their web site.
This guy seemed very knowledgable, told me several things that are common with these gens and I asked if I should just get rid of it and buy an onan, to which he responded "you think you have problems now" which shocked me.. He said onan is having major issues with their new models because they are trying to make the run so quiet they get so hot they self destruct... He said I'd be better off fixing this one than buying a new one and buying a used one is like buying a pig in a poke, much better to know the evils you've got... Anyway, we shall see.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If its an older Generac, its fine... The brand is now owned by Briggs.... (ugh!)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #26

What exactly are the symptoms on you generator. "Quit working" needs a little more info. Probably no need to remove it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if that is the original gen in a 11 year old coach inactivity is most likely the problem. 30 hours isn't even half of what it should have for just the monthly start load to keep fresh gas and the windings from dampness.
Good luck.

LEN
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
What exactly are the symptoms on you generator. "Quit working" needs a little more info. Probably no need to remove it.
The motor runs like a champ, it fires right up and hums right along, its the generator portion that isn't doing anything - it won't produce any power. We replaced the "i'd replace this first" things, and still nothing... so we're planning on the worst case scenario. We've tested the brushes, and they seem to be working... I understand there to be a circut board that goes out frequently, and it could be stator (which is the most expensive part)...
The generator guy said the easies thing to do to work on it would be to take it out... so we did... It took about 20 minutes; 4 bolts a gas line and some wires going to the box, so it was no big deal.

Closed Thread

Tags
service