Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slimy Service in Denver - BE Aware!!

This past week, I had the misfortune to deal with an RV service center here in Colorado that I would classify as SLIMY and made me want to camp out in front of their building and tell people what a CROOK the guy is owns the place…

I have a ’99 SeaView by National Class A Motor Home, and it has a Generac generator in it, which quit working on us right after we bought it, about 4 months ago. We’ve tried to find someone who can fix it, but no one wants to deal with it…

Well, at our RV show here in Denver in early January we talked to a person who advertised in their booth that they “specialized” in generator service of all brands… We talked to the guy for a while and he seemed knowledgeable enough with the problems we are/were having so we took it in to him to have him look at it…

When I arrived at the shop with the generator, removed from our RV (as requested due to access and storage issues) their mechanics looked at it like I had brought in a nuclear reactor and weren’t sure what to do with it…

After two weeks of not hearing from the shop, and fearing the worst, I called and called and called and called and finally got a hold of someone. I asked what the status was, and was told “ohh it runs like a charm, we’re not sure what you’re having problems with, so bring in the RV and we’ll install it and that way we can check on any other issues.”

I suggested that I come get the gen and I’d put it back in, and if there were issues then I’d bring in the RV (its sitting on its pad next to the driveway all covered up and probably covered in snow, so I didn’t want to get it out yet). He agreed and I headed to the shop to pick it up… When I arrived, he had a very surprised look on his face, and it confused me… I went into the garage, and oddly enough the gen was sitting on the same bench it was sitting on when I dropped it off, in the back corner of the garage, away from everything. The wires were still in the same place they were when I dropped it off… Needless to say it hadn’t been touched in two weeks, yet I’d been told they’d had it running and ran great and I was to bring the whole unit back “IF” I had problems… Well of course I’m going to have problems… NOTHING WAS FIXED… at $125/hr for labor they were looking to make a fortune trying to “fix”it.
When I found this out I RAN away from this shop, and called all over town and I was suggested to visit a generator service company (go figure) who specialized in these boat anchors, when I talked to him he said “oh ya, I know Jack, he used to send me all his generator work but I stopped taking them from him because he was ripping people off royally and I didn’t want to be associated with that.”
Man I am angry… I want to shout it from the mountains not to visit this guy, but I’m sure lots of people have had good experiences, but I have to think this isn’t the first time he’s taken advantage of someone… or at least tried to take advantage.
So, moral of this long long story… Be aware of where you’re taking things… Make sure you talk to people who’ve used them, and make sure you feel confident when you leave (I didn’t) and go with your gut (I didn’t).
Luckily I got out of this mess ahead of the $$$ ball, not behind it.. I still have a broken gen, but I’m not broke!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Be sure and go to this link and enter this info so others may be made aware.
RV Service Review

Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
Luckily I got out of this mess ahead of the $$$ ball, not behind it.. I still have a broken gen, but I’m not broke!
Sometimes some things do work in your favor and you already know you came out ahead of the game.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Just added RV service reviews to my favourites. Nothing worse than when your "out there" with a problem and not sure if your being treated fairly. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear of your situation but there are business people like this out there. Hope all turns out for the good.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
This past week, I had the misfortune to deal with an RV service center here in Colorado that I would classify as SLIMY and made me want to camp out in front of their building and tell people what a CROOK the guy is owns the place…

I have a ’99 SeaView by National Class A Motor Home, and it has a Generac generator in it, which quit working on us right after we bought it, about 4 months ago. We’ve tried to find someone who can fix it, but no one wants to deal with it…

Well, at our RV show here in Denver in early January we talked to a person who advertised in their booth that they “specialized” in generator service of all brands… We talked to the guy for a while and he seemed knowledgeable enough with the problems we are/were having so we took it in to him to have him look at it…

When I arrived at the shop with the generator, removed from our RV (as requested due to access and storage issues) their mechanics looked at it like I had brought in a nuclear reactor and weren’t sure what to do with it…

After two weeks of not hearing from the shop, and fearing the worst, I called and called and called and called and finally got a hold of someone. I asked what the status was, and was told “ohh it runs like a charm, we’re not sure what you’re having problems with, so bring in the RV and we’ll install it and that way we can check on any other issues.”

I suggested that I come get the gen and I’d put it back in, and if there were issues then I’d bring in the RV (its sitting on its pad next to the driveway all covered up and probably covered in snow, so I didn’t want to get it out yet). He agreed and I headed to the shop to pick it up… When I arrived, he had a very surprised look on his face, and it confused me… I went into the garage, and oddly enough the gen was sitting on the same bench it was sitting on when I dropped it off, in the back corner of the garage, away from everything. The wires were still in the same place they were when I dropped it off… Needless to say it hadn’t been touched in two weeks, yet I’d been told they’d had it running and ran great and I was to bring the whole unit back “IF” I had problems… Well of course I’m going to have problems… NOTHING WAS FIXED… at $125/hr for labor they were looking to make a fortune trying to “fix”it.
When I found this out I RAN away from this shop, and called all over town and I was suggested to visit a generator service company (go figure) who specialized in these boat anchors, when I talked to him he said “oh ya, I know Jack, he used to send me all his generator work but I stopped taking them from him because he was ripping people off royally and I didn’t want to be associated with that.”
Man I am angry… I want to shout it from the mountains not to visit this guy, but I’m sure lots of people have had good experiences, but I have to think this isn’t the first time he’s taken advantage of someone… or at least tried to take advantage.
So, moral of this long long story… Be aware of where you’re taking things… Make sure you talk to people who’ve used them, and make sure you feel confident when you leave (I didn’t) and go with your gut (I didn’t).
I agree, BUT WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PLACE, so we won't have to suffer the same fate ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
RV Service Reviews and RV Park Reviews are two great sites for the RVer. I have used both and find that they are very accurate.

Nick
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I agree, BUT WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PLACE, so we won't have to suffer the same fate ?
Yeah, I live in the Denver area and also want to avoid this guy. What's the name?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

What was happening with your generator, would it crank or do anything. If you can remove it you should be able to troubleshoot and make repairs. Lots of help and knowledge on here if you ask for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny feeling that it may be against our rules to name the culprit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea, come on, I feel bad for ya, and it was a long interesting story of one of the many RV industry rip off companies but it helps no one if you you don't tell us the name to avoid unless it's "Slimy RV Repair". If it's the truth just say it just as you would if they did a great job for you. Give the name to protect the innocent.
What if I had a RV Generator Repar business? I don't want people to think you're talking about me.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Funny feeling that it may be against our rules to name the culprit.

No way, they would'nt do that, we'd only be able to say good things about businesses, we maybe they would have to be an advertiser.
If you're telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about, if you're lying then you may deserve to be sued for defamation
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

I see absolutely no value in sharing information about a place that you are warning us about without sharing the name of the place. What is the big secret?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

I learned the hard way that Generac doesn’t manufacture anything. They are assemblers of components that they purchase from various suppliers, ie. when a contract expires they let new contracts to differant manufactuers so the same series have differant componets manufactured by differant factories. This is also why so many repair shops are hesitant to try to repair them it is almost impossiable to cross referance any of their repair parts.. This I learned from a local repair shop that Generac listed on their web site.

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
Closed Thread

Tags
service