Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Slow down coming through here

Everyday we see RVs coming through our town of Lake Providence, La. US 65 follows the Mississippi River from Arkansas down to Natchez, Ms winding through many small Delta towns and many travelers use it coming and going to the Gulf. Our town is unique in that we have a beautiful oxbow lake that is great for fishing, water skiing, kayaking, and many other water related activities. But, being a small Delta town our police budget relies heavily on the revenue from speeding tickets. Which is the reason for this post. Recently our police department obtained new radar gun/cameras and they are popping people like crazy. If you get caught you won't even know it until the ticket comes in your mailbox. Apparently these things work so well they are sending out 500 or so a week. A friend of mine received three in one day. So, slow down when traveling through here and all of the other little towns along 65. You've been warned. BTW, have a nice trip.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #2

Psshh, if people are speeding they deserve to get caught and fined.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I bet lots of folks slow down through here - mission accomplished.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Psshh, if people are speeding they deserve to get caught and fined.
I agree. But the speed limit signs need to be posted where they are easy to see.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I agree. But the speed limit signs need to be posted where they are easy to see.

Ken
I guess I take for granted signage because TxDOT does a GREAT job.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just curious, but like red light camersa, doesn't that approach for generating that letter make it a civil matter, and not a traffic fine?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Barry, I bet if you let the city council know about this post they'll give you a "Good Citizen" award!

Thanks for the warning!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't get it.

WE read that we are in no hurry we are retired, take your time on & on. Then why are you speeding? I don't get it. I do 55-60 and get passed like I am standing still. Whats your hurry?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Still legal questions on these cameras.

How to Beat a Photo-Enforced Speeding Ticket (or Red Light Ticket) | Cop Block
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
Everyday we see RVs coming through our town of Lake Providence, La. US 65 follows the Mississippi River from Arkansas down to Natchez, Ms winding through many small Delta towns and many travelers use it coming and going to the Gulf. Our town is unique in that we have a beautiful oxbow lake that is great for fishing, water skiing, kayaking, and many other water related activities. But, being a small Delta town our police budget relies heavily on the revenue from speeding tickets. Which is the reason for this post. Recently our police department obtained new radar gun/cameras and they are popping people like crazy. If you get caught you won't even know it until the ticket comes in your mailbox. Apparently these things work so well they are sending out 500 or so a week. A friend of mine received three in one day. So, slow down when traveling through here and all of the other little towns along 65. You've been warned. BTW, have a nice trip.
Nice little town. We make that run on US 65 five or six times a year. I don't object to speed limits as long as the signs are clearly placed and marked and they give me enough time to slow down, once I tap the cruise control off, without active braking.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
While I don't see myself going thru there anytime soon I will take the op's post in the spirit it was meant. Sometimes we don't pay as much attention to a speed limit sign as we should and it isn't till after the fact that we howl about the unfairness of a ticket for a couple of mph over the limit.
Thanks for the warning.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no reason to be speeding in a motorhome, and that is just my opinion.

However, here is a ponderance:

If you are traveling at 55 mph and the sign ahead says 35, it is anticipated that when you reach the sign you should be doing 35 mph. If say you were going 45 but still slowing down you could get a ticket.

Now let's reverse it. You are doing 35 in a 35mph zone and the sign ahead says 55 mph. So you start increasing speed so that when you reach the sign you are doing 55, however, prior to reaching the sign you are doing 45 mph, still in what is considered the 35 mph zone. What are your rights?

This was argued in a mid Western court back in the mid 60's and the person that argued they had the right to increase speed had the judge agree with him.

Still, don't speed. It is a known fact that speed kills.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
There is no reason to be speeding in a motorhome, and that is just my opinion.

However, here is a ponderance:

If you are traveling at 55 mph and the sign ahead says 35, it is anticipated that when you reach the sign you should be doing 35 mph. If say you were going 45 but still slowing down you could get a ticket.

Now let's reverse it. You are doing 35 in a 35mph zone and the sign ahead says 55 mph. So you start increasing speed so that when you reach the sign you are doing 55, however, prior to reaching the sign you are doing 45 mph, still in what is considered the 35 mph zone. What are your rights?

This was argued in a mid Western court back in the mid 60's and the person that argued they had the right to increase speed had the judge agree with him.

Still, don't speed. It is a known fact that speed kills.

Very well put Sir. I like it...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I come through in this 38' House towing a car odds are I won't be speeding, Speeding and the RV life are not... compatable, far as I know.

On the other hand if I'm in the towed... My sense of speed is skewed when I'm in the towed and it does not YET have autopilot (Cruse control) this will happen likely Feb or Mar but ... Well.. I have to order it from Witney and I really do not want to get on their mailing list again.