Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Small class A or a class B+ ?

What are the differences between a 25 ft class A and a 25 ft class B+ ?

I've seen class A's cheaper than class B+
For a comparison there is the thor class A and the leisure class B+ that come to mind.

Wouldn't the class A be a better buy?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
What are the differences between a 25 ft class A and a 25 ft class B+ ?

I've seen class A's cheaper than class B+
For a comparison there is the thor class A and the leisure class B+ that come to mind.

Wouldn't the class A be a better buy?
My understanding is, a class A has a custom rv body built by a rv manufacturer and affixed to a separate chassis whereas a class B+ is a factory built van that has the factory body, behind the driver’s compartment, modified by a rv builder. A B+ is much like a class C with the factory cab, but is smaller and without the over cab sleeping area.

Class A is larger, roomier, with more storage space and amenities than a B+. Handling and fuel economy is poorer.

Without trying to stir things up, comparing a 25’ Thor class A to a Leisure B+, simply by price, is unreliable and does not necessarily lead one to a “better buy.” Quality of build and materials, as well as your intended use, should be considered. Your example is basically comparing the low end of class A models (a Thor 25’) to the high end of class B+ models (Leisure.). My opinion only.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive had both, and also a larger Class C, TT, and 5th wheel. Now I have a 30’ class A gas, and Im planning to purchase a 35’ DP next year. I like small CGs but I also like driving ease and comfort. There always a compromise.

Id say drive both before you decide. You’ll find the Class A roomier, but the B+ will be a lot more comfortable to drive.

Maneuverability will probably be about the same - class A has a better steering angle, but the B+ will have a shorter wheel base. So it will probably come down to how you are going to use it.

All things being as equal as possible, if you plan on a lot of miles on the road - Id say B+. A lot of short trips and long stays in camp grounds - Id say Class A.

Also the class A will have bigger appliances, bigger fresh, grey and black tanks, a bigger generator, more cabinet and storage space, etc. So just depends on what you will use it for. You can camp in primitive CGs longer in a class A; in RV parks it doesn't matter.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
My understanding is, a class A has a custom rv body built by a rv manufacturer and affixed to a separate chassis whereas a class B+ is a factory built van that has the factory body, behind the driver’s compartment, modified by a rv builder. A B+ is much like a class C with the factory cab, but is smaller and without the over cab sleeping area.

Class A is larger, roomier, with more storage space and amenities than a B+. Handling and fuel economy is poorer.

Without trying to stir things up, comparing a 25’ Thor class A to a Leisure B+, simply by price, is unreliable and does not necessarily lead one to a “better buy.” Quality of build and materials, as well as your intended use, should be considered. Your example is basically comparing the low end of class A models (a Thor 25’) to the high end of class B+ models (Leisure.). My opinion only.
Thanks for the reply LJ.
If you take the price out of the equation, are there any benefits between the 2 designs? If both are the same length, is one wider or more stable or have better benefits?
Old 10-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the reply LJ.
If you take the price out of the equation, are there any benefits between the 2 designs? If both are the same length, is one wider or more stable or have better benefits?
floor plan
Old 10-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply LJ.
The class B will be more stable due to aerodynamics and it will be somewhat easier to drive. The small or short class A's suffer from a short wheelbase and since they're taller and wider most don't really handle very well, especially in wind or freeways with passing trucks. My sis and BIL just downsized from a DP to a 25ft B class. They're happy with it, but there is very little room in it. It has a queen walk around bed and a full shower.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

Most Class B's have a 'wet' shower meaning everything gets wet... the toilet, walls, sink, floor. You will need to take care of the 'wetness' every time you use the shower.

Class B's will not have big holding tanks so you'll be using the dump station more often and can't dry camp as long.

Class A's will have a lot more storage space; probably a larger refrigerator and more counter space.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #8

Most Class B's have a 'wet' shower meaning everything gets wet... the toilet, walls, sink, floor. You will need to take care of the 'wetness' every time you use the shower.

Class B's will not have big holding tanks so you'll be using the dump station more often and can't dry camp as long.

Class A's will have a lot more storage space; probably a larger refrigerator and more counter space.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

Biggest difference is size (living space), amount you can carry (weight), and storage.

The two you picked have a "price reversal" because you picked one of the better class B+ (Leisure) and one or the worst Class A (small Thor). You are comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy Spark.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to confuse the issue and I know you aren't talking Class C but thought Id mention that you get a lot more wind noise from a traditional Class C than a B+. I had a 25’ Phoenix (I know, I know, but I had a good one) and it was really quite at 70mph. Lot less wind resistance. A class A is somewhere in between on this, but not especially aerodynamic
Old 10-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #11

I checked out some RVs today for the first time.
And I gotta look at the Thor's.
3 of them were under 25 FT.
I did not test drive them but I got to say looking out the windshield of a Thor felt weird! way way too wide.
Are all class A cockpits like that? It looked like it was to wide for regular roads. That was the main difference between class a and class b+
Old 10-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Winnebago Aspect, considered a Class C although it has no over cab bunk. Not sure what defines a B+ vs a C, other than marketing.
Ask yourself how you want to use your RV. This is VERY important. Do you want to visit National and State park campgrounds? Do you require full hookups
or are you comfortable dry camping? A lot (but not all NPS and State parks restrict RV sizes to 30'- 35" or less with limited amenities. A small C or a B may be best for this type of use.
Or do you prefer RV parks in a resort atmosphere? Lots of space in a Class A with all the amenities of home. It can be difficult to maneuver a large Class A in a NPS or older State campground.
It's really important to think long and hard on what you want to experience with your RV before shelling out the bucks!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I checked out some RVs today for the first time.
And I gotta look at the Thor's.
3 of them were under 25 FT.
I did not test drive them but I got to say looking out the windshield of a Thor felt weird! way way too wide.
Are all class A cockpits like that? It looked like it was to wide for regular roads. That was the main difference between class a and class b+
It looks weird at first but you get used to it. Once you learn your corners and site some reference spots for the width of the coach on the road it gets pretty easy - fun even. I put a little round sticker (off a pair of reading glasses) on the windshield to indicate where I should see the center line through the windshield when my drivers side wheels are about 6” from the center line. I use a spot on the left wiper for my right reference point. It isn't exact, and varies a bit as I reposition myself in the seat, but its close enough and has taken me through many construction sites and across narrow bridges that warned “8’ lane” ahead.i didn't like it initially, especially because the ground you see in front of the coach is about 10’ in front of you, but now its just second nature.

On another note, you might want to read some comments and ask some questions on the Thor forum before jumping in to one. Probably be just fine, but Ive heard a lot of complaints about after-the-sale service.

Tags
class a, class b