Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #71
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The ones Kent (Lincolnboy) used weren't the Smart Tiles. Kent's were real glass & stone. Smart Tiles are vinyl that mimic glass tiles & can be cut with an x-acto knife.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #72

Just completed my Smart Tile upgrade. Had vintage 2004 mirrors around stove that were losing their silver, wallpaper across the rest.

Removed tiles and remaining glue (putty knife, careful chisel work etc) and cleaned all with TSP, and installed the Smart Tiles. Not too difficult, just expected fussiness around the window.

DW loves the result.

To be clear, as many have said these are the Smart Tiles that can be cut with a sharp hobby knife or a good pair of scissors. The 'sticky' covers the entire back of the sheet, does seem like it will hold. I don't live in a hot part of the country so am fairly confident they will hold.

Before:

After:

emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very nice!

We don't live in a hot area either so I'm thinking they'll hold for us if/when we decide to upgrade our coach backsplashes.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The ones Kent (Lincolnboy) used weren't the Smart Tiles. Kent's were real glass & stone. Smart Tiles are vinyl that mimic glass tiles & can be cut with an x-acto knife.

Lori-
I wonder about the metal ones, and how difficult they are to work with. I guess it really doesn't make any difference since I live in the country where it can get around 130 deg F inside the coach. I would dearly love to get rid of the mirrors behind the stove and above the bathroom sink, but would have no confidence that they wouldn't come loose when in storage during hot weather. 3M double sided tape would definitely stay there in hot weather, but wouldn't allow full contact of the "tile", so probably isn't a good solution.
Big Oil Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #75
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great Ed!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #76
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
I wonder about the metal ones, and how difficult they are to work with.
The metal ones - the ones that come in sheets like the old-fashioned ceiling tiles, not the self-stick ones - are tacked up with tiny decorative nails. They are cut with tin-snips. I've seen them at Menard's. They come in a whole bunch of finishes & punched-design styles.

These might work since there's no adhesive, as long as you don't mind tacking into your walls.

Lori-
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you, Lori. That might be the way to go. Perhaps the use of some spray-on adhesive in conjunction with the tacks would make a good combination for solid, long-term mounting.

I distrust adhesives, except for the two sided 3M tape. I used that stuff to mount my solar panel on the roof over 4 years ago, and it's stuck stronger now than it was when I installed it.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #78
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Thank you, Lori. That might be the way to go. Perhaps the use of some spray-on adhesive in conjunction with the tacks would make a good combination for solid, long-term mounting.

I distrust adhesives, except for the two sided 3M tape. I used that stuff to mount my solar panel on the roof over 4 years ago, and it's stuck stronger now than it was when I installed it.

Ken, where did you find a good deal on the 3M tape?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #79
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Spray adhesive might be a waste, Ken - IMO. They're stamped, so there's not much flat surface on the backside of those panels to have adhesive stick to make wall contact. I'd think the tacks would hold well enough.

Lori-
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #80

A couple of other good options are the Aspect metal tiles or the Fasade Wall & Ceiling Panels. Both are synthetic material and are either self stick or adhesive mounted. Both are great backsplash materials in multiple colors, textures and finishes. They also have custom matched corner & border trims to finish the projects. Way better alternative to metal or glass and holes are not required.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #81
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
A couple of other good options are the Aspect metal tiles or the Fasade Wall & Ceiling Panels. Both are synthetic material and are either self stick or adhesive mounted. Both are great backsplash materials in multiple colors, textures and finishes. They also have custom matched corner & border trims to finish the projects. Way better alternative to metal or glass and holes are not required.

Nice!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Ken, where did you find a good deal on the 3M tape?
First, you must make sure you're getting the right tape for your application. I can't seem to find a chart, but this tape is very thin, usually 10-40 mil thick. (1/32" = 31 mil) Also, the temperature range for use varies widely. 3M makes literally hundreds of tapes with different specifications. Some of the temperatures they tolerate are REALLY high. To make sure you get the right tape for your application, it might be worth a call to 3M for some technical guidance.

The tape I used (can't remember the number of it but think it was in their VHB line) was something like 20 mil in thickness and had a very high heat tolerance. Actually, it required a high heat to cure the adhesive for maximum set. I found a small amount of it on eBay where they sold X square inches for cheap. Once you determine the number of the tape you need, just search the internet for a good deal on it.

This stuff is amazingly strong. I trust it more than simple screws that could pull out. You're not going to pull this loose, even if you try!