Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Since we moved into the 5r FT, and not presently working, I have a whole lot more time in my hands to experiment with and apply ideas you all throw out here. Great information I might add.

We did get once or twice a month some odor from the W/D closet area. I had pulled out the units to install a pedistal for the washer and I could easily tell the odor is coming from the drain on the washer. The gray water flushes and or adding cleaner/clorox seemed to always do the trick. Now as of recent, I made the mistake one day of activating the ventastic power roof air to keep the smoke alarm from going off when using the toaster for extended use. Well that power roof vent pulls out so much air it pulled up sewer smell within 5 minutes or so of being turned on. I opened up doors/windows and went out and closed off the gray water tank valve also. I have valve for Black, Gray and Kitchen Gray. I know the Kitchen Gray has a p trap but not sure about the other main gray tank lines so I closed it and left the kitchen tank open. Walla... zero smell any more from the Washer vent when I run the fantastic fan. Question: When I do the tank flushes, is that flushing just the black water tank or gray as well? Seems like I hear/feel it flushing both when I am in the basement area.

06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Larry that was a great way to solve your problem. Tending to the grey tank is almost as important as your black tank. I will occasionally put 1/4 cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid down the sink with 5 gals of water when I know I'm going to be on the road. The sloshing of the soapy water in the tank cleans it out very well.
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I'm confused! Don't you use soap in the shower and soap when you wash dishes? Seems to me that your gray tank is already full of soapy water so why put more in it? Please explain.
After years of RVing, just this past year I discovered, except on day of return to the house, that empting black and grey tanks upon arrival at a park helped clean them out better because of the motion on the road. As an after thought on the last trip cross country, started using a 1/2 cup of the low sudsing laundry soap. It did a marvelous job, but I can see where using Dawn or Palmolive dish liquid could be better which I think may answer "lanerd (s)" question. The liquid cleaners have far more degreasers in them than bath soap. Going to put an extra bottle of dish liquid in the supply bin.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Question: When I do the tank flushes, is that flushing just the black water tank or gray as well? Seems like I hear/feel it flushing both when I am in the basement area.
Most RV come with only a black tank backflush, if they come with anything at all. The easiest way to tell is to empty your grey tank, do a backflush and see if any water drains out.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have to empty my black tank every 2 to 3 weeks, so the day before I close the gray tank and wait until it is about 3/4 full. I then open the black. Once it stops running, I flush a couple of times with clear water. Before you folks in the west have a heart attack, we are in a part of the country that is definitely not in a water emergency. Once I have flushed the black tank (approx. 1/2 full X2) twice, I flush the hose with the 3/4 full gray tank water. I do add a tank deodorant to the black tank. I just might give the pine sol idea a try for the gray tank. I do have a flush on the gray tank as well, but very seldom use it.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote