Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

Smoke Detector Alert

This just on National news. 90% of the smoke detectors owned today, that are ionization type, do not protect you from smoke inhalation. They did 100s of tests and if it is a smoldering, smokey fire, it may not go off. They put a soldering iron in a couch and it took over 30 minutes for a smoke filled room to set them off. They recommend both the ionization and the photo cell type.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #2

Why both ? I know nothing about them but if one is better, wouldn't you use that ? Or do the different types "look" for different things to set them off ?

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #3

Both required - one to catch the smouldering smoky fires and the other for the sudden flare-ups.

Also the photoelectric ones are less susceptible to false alarms due to cooking smoke and fumes.

I have the PE one in the kitchen and the ionisation ones in the bathroom and bedroom.

Plus CO detectors as well AND a propane detector down low in the kitchen
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

I believe they said you can get them with both types combined into one unit.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I believe they said you can get them with both types combined into one unit.
Yes you can and i advise to use that type, that way you are protected either way.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

I was at Lowe's yesterday and should have bought a dual unit for my MH. My house came with an AC powered Photo Electric type 36 years ago and it still works. Problem is, if I have an electric fire and it pops a breaker, no detector. I could move the ionization one from my MH to the house and have dual units in both. I'll be out again today and will look for one. Any brand preferences?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Always Always by the battery back-up ones for your homes!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
They are absolutely right! I owned an alarm company for 36 years before retirement, and we never installed anything except photoelectric SD's in residences. There are certain commercial applications where the ionization type is preferred, but not in resisences, which includes RVs. I remember some independent lab studies that found the ionization detectors sometimes took up to 2 hours to respond when envoloped in thick, black smoke. They detect only "particles of combustion" which are only present when the fire reaches a certain temperature. Photoelectric detectors must have visible smoke to respond. They can be used in the kitchen as long as you keep them well away from the stove. It's OK to use the combination types except in the kitchen.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
They are absolutely right! I owned an alarm company for 36 years before retirement, and we never installed anything except photoelectric SD's in residences. There are certain commercial applications where the ionization type is preferred, but not in resisences, which includes RVs. I remember some independent lab studies that found the ionization detectors sometimes took up to 2 hours to respond when envoloped in thick, black smoke. They detect only "particles of combustion" which are only present when the fire reaches a certain temperature. Photoelectric detectors must have visible smoke to respond. They can be used in the kitchen as long as you keep them well away from the stove. It's OK to use the combination types except in the kitchen.
Great info !! Thanks !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Iozantion type detectors see the invisable fire particals that must pass through an ionizing chamber inside the detector. Photoelectric type detectors see the visable smoke particals through an electric eye amining out of the detector into the room.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #11

We have both but we also have some kind of a ball that is suppose to break and put out a fire using the chemicals inside. Joe took them down when a fireman friend said they were actually more of a hazard then a help. I have to admit I know nothing about any of this but I resisted when he took them down because when we bought them, the demonstration was very convincing. We probably should be replacing the battery operated detectors. They are pretty old and I'm sure technology has improved. Thanks for making me think about something I tend to neglect.
goldwing02up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #12

The old bulb type had carbon tetrachloride in them They would put out a small fire, but the vapor they created was harmful. My old house had them in the attic.