Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Smoke Detectors!!!

Its National Smoke Detector Week.

Just a reminder for all to change their smoke detector batteries.

Don't just look at it and see a light and think "I'm okay". They should be changed once a year whether they need it or not.

Its a small price to pay for what may save your life!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 ON BATTERY CHANGE! Also how many do you have? Can you close a door or curtain for a sleeping area and not have one on both sides? If answer yes, add one or more to have one on both sides of every sleeping area. Not sure what, if any standards RV mfg. go by but it sure is not the safest std.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They also have a life of about five years after which they need to be replaced.
Thanks for the thread. It's real important.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
They also have a life of about five years after which they need to be replaced.
Thanks for the thread. It's real important.
Very true Cliff! The smoke detector has a shelf life. When you open your smoke detector to change the battery, check the age.

Pushing the little button to check your smoke detector and getting an audible signal only tells you that you have power! NOT that the smoke detector is operating properly. The make up of a smoke detector is such that it uses a radioactive chip to detect particles. Detectors get dirty with age and affect it's performance.

If your smoke detector is yellowed. Change it!

Our company just finished volunteering doing a smoke detector program with our local Fire Dept. today where we went to a 55+ mobile home park, checked smoke detectors and batteries and replaced them. This was a free service by donation to these old folks.

Here's the issue we found. Only an average of 2 in 10 worked properly. 1 mobile had no detector. 3 mobiles had dead batteries and 4 smoke detectors needed to be replaced due to age.

It is important to make sure your detectors work! Statistics show that of all structural fires, mobiles(and I would think RVs) have the highest fatality rate due to the materials used in their construction. TT's would fall under this same category as the ones with the metal skin hold the heat in.

I'm told, on average, you only have about 3 minutes to escape from the START of the fire. By this time, smoke is so low and thick you risk smoke inhalation. At 5 minutes, the fire is so hot that the structural components simply burst into flames.

A properly operating smoke detector is your first line of defense as an early warning device and is a proven life saver!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great advice Les!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
My wife tested ours this AM---she burned the sausage!!! It is a new detector that I installed about a month ago.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just did mine two weeks ago. But it's a good reminder for everybody, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Most (if not all) smoke detectors will begin to emit a periodic "chirp" when the battery begins to get a little low. If you are in the RV sufficiently often, it should be safe to rely on waiting for it to remind you.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Most (if not all) smoke detectors will begin to emit a periodic "chirp" when the battery begins to get a little low. If you are in the RV sufficiently often, it should be safe to rely on waiting for it to remind you.

Joel
And they always decide to start chirping at 3 AM
Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Joel
And that chirping only starts in the middle of the night or when you are headed out the door to someplace important.

At least that's how it works around here.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

Joel
While I don't want to become the preacher, having worked with our local Fire Department a fair bit over this Smoke Dectector campaign, I have learned a lot about smoke detectors, their purpose, how they work, etc.

All I will say, is that for the price of a 9v battery once a year, I'm not going to put me and my family in jeopardy and rely on a "chirp" or piece of equipment to tell me the battery is dying.

What if you miss the chirp?

We have set the date for replacement of our smoke detector batteries to coincide with changing our clocks to day light saving as an easy date to remember.

Just trying to help here.