Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Smoked class A

My Vectra was filled with smoke(from burning plastic mostly) when my shop started on fire. It's a very acrid smoke smell and I can't spend more than a few seconds in the coach. My concern is since it has soaked into the walls, cabinets, basement, ceiling, ducting,etc, can it be cleaned? I am imagining on a hot summer day that this smell will surface like a previously smoked in car. Anyone here have experience with this?
mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn.roadking View Post
My Vectra was filled with smoke(from burning plastic mostly) when my shop started on fire. It's a very acrid smoke smell and I can't spend more than a few seconds in the coach. My concern is since it has soaked into the walls, cabinets, basement, ceiling, ducting,etc, can it be cleaned? I am imagining on a hot summer day that this smell will surface like a previously smoked in car. Anyone here have experience with this?
Our dealership traded in many motorhomes that had been smoked in. People would come in take a sniff and run out. We found a guy who would put a machine in the coach for 24 hours and there would be no smell. I think he called it a ionazation machine or something like that. Call around to cleaning companys and see if you can't find someone to do this. ( I realize the poster said it was a plastic burning incident, not a smoker. but it is caused by smoke in both cases.)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ga traveler has a good idea, look for companies that do mold remediation or clean up after fires and floods. Servicemaster comes to mind.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's called an Ozonator or ozone generator. May be able to rent one.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you have insurance that covered the fire damage then they should pay for that also!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

insurance

Actually, your shop insurance will only pay for your shop reconstruction, your motorhome insurance should cover this under your comprehensive coverage. (from experience)
AA7GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can rent an Ozone generator at Home Depot for about $100. I think that would be the first thing I'd do after checking with my insurance company.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Automobile sales for their used cars typically use a company near them to detail the car. Part of that detail is a "bomb" they set off inside the closed car. It may well be "ozone" stuff. Check with a car company.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

You could also call ServPro. https://www.servpro.com/fire-smoke-damage-restoration
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

ServPro was out this week and basically pronounced it uncleanable. Too toxic and too deep.
mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
ServPro was out this week and basically pronounced it uncleanable. Too toxic and too deep.
mn.roadking
Uncleanable = unuseable = a TOTAL LOSS.

Is your Vectra insured with a company who agrees with ServPro?

If so.. they should cover most of your loss.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #12

An Ozone Generator should do the trick. Car dealers use them all of the time on their used cars. They are available on Amazon. We bought one for $79.00 with a 5 year warranty and free shipping.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Let us know what your insurance company does for you. Hope they treat you nice.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #14

Just be aware that it is ozone that rots out rubber seals, trim and tires....... I'm not so sure that I would want to keep a high concentration of ozone inside my RV on a constant basis. I believe there are also some long term health issues with exposure as well, but as long as you don't have the grandkids over for very long it probably won't be an issue for them. And since ozone mostly damages the respiratory tract if the little ones get exposed to second hand smoke from any other source while their lungs are forming and developing they are already compromised so what the heck: a little more damage will probably be no big deal in the overall scheme of things.

I make no mention of damage to compromised lungs of older adults since I assume that nobody with COPD or emphysema would be so reckless as to use such a device.
Woodlandhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a