RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Smoking at gas stations

I was filling up at a gas station yesterday and noticed a guy pull in smoking a cigarette. He put his cigarette out in his truck and got out and fueled up with his engine running. At this time his passenger lit up inside the truck.

I stopped fueling and drove off. I did think to go to attend at and complain but just got out of dodge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #2

Gas ignites between 500 F and 540 F, the cigarette at its hottest is between 450 F and 500 F but only when it was actually being smoked.
An ignition is very improbable from smoking a cigarette at gas station expecially inside the vehicle

A lit cigarette when thrown into a pool of gas just goes '''phsst'''

Old 04-13-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Great to know Old Biscuit.

Thanks,
Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
WDW

Great science, but sometimes you just dont do certain things because of courtesy and safety to others. Its like the speed limit being 55 miles an hour even and the roads are icy and snow covered. You have snow tires and an awesome four-wheel-drive vehicle. The problem is you dont have. 4 wheel stop. Now youre endangering me.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #5

Fueling my car recently and a fellow decided to light up across the pump lane and walks toward the store entrance, stops and continues smoking the cigarette standing right next to the propane tank exchange rack...

I had swiped my CC at the pump so I stopped pumping, collected my receipt and got the hell out.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The probability of getting liquid gasoline to ignite from a cigarette is very low. Even gasoline vapor in the open air won't ignite unless the ratio or gas to air is correct. Too rich or lean and nothing will happen. But the kicker is the probably is even lower when heat sources and open flames are kept to a minimum.

When I did smoke the cigarette was long out before pulling into the a gas station. Just felt like the right thing to do. I may have been the safest smoker around but the person fueling his vehicle on the other side of the fuel island might not be the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to getting the gasoline into their tank and not everywhere else so why risk being the ignition point?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Great science, but sometimes you just dont do certain things because of courtesy and safety to others. Its like the speed limit being 55 miles an hour even and the roads are icy and snow covered. You have snow tires and an awesome four-wheel-drive vehicle. The problem is you dont have. 4 wheel stop. Now youre endangering me.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #8

About 20 years ago I was driving through Oregon where they have laws requiring you have an employee pump your gas. The guy pumping ours was smoking while pumping the gas in our car. We were pretty young so we weren't ready to protest. We just went inside while he did it....and watched out the window in case there was a fiery show.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Hollywood has tainted our ideas of how things burn and explode. Everything blows up in spectacular fashion in the movies. It is very rare in real life.

How often do you hear of a fuel station fire? How many millions of fuel stations are there in the world? In the US? I am sure hundreds of people smoke while fueling every day. Fueling a running vehicle is another. There is higher risk of electrical spark or backfire starting and engine than letting it run.

"Jet fuel" being told as highly flammable is another fallacy.

The military "Hot Fueled" A10s and F16s hundreds of times a day during the times in the Iraq war with no fires.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post
About 20 years ago I was driving through Oregon where they have laws requiring you have an employee pump your gas. The guy pumping ours was smoking while pumping the gas in our car. We were pretty young so we weren't ready to protest. We just went inside while he did it....and watched out the window in case there was a fiery show.
What, a fiery show of your car? Also, you are dating yourself fellow sojourner. Up until the late 60's there were no self serve gas stations. Being a "pump jockey" was a good entry job into the labor market. Last I checked NJ was the only hold out that insisted their 17 year old rocket scientists pump your gas. Who knows, they may have also come over to the dark side. Not allowed to go into NJ.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
What, a fiery show of your car? Also, you are dating yourself fellow sojourner. Up until the late 60's there were no self serve gas stations. Being a "pump jockey" was a good entry job into the labor market. Last I checked NJ was the only hold out that insisted their 17 year old rocket scientists pump your gas. Who knows, they may have also come over to the dark side. Not allowed to go into NJ.
Oregon still as pump jockies. There are some exceptions. Very rural areas are not manned. Truck lanes are self serve as are the membership fuel companies.

Motorcycles are self serve everywhere in Oregon.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Gas ignites between 500 F and 540 F, the cigarette at its hottest is between 450 F and 500 F but only when it was actually being smoked.
An ignition is very improbable from smoking a cigarette at gas station expecially inside the vehicle

A lit cigarette when thrown into a pool of gas just goes '''phsst'''
Please do not demonstrate/validate your claim anywhere, ever in my vicinity. But go ahead, smokem if ya gotem! And for being smarter than the gas pump signs "heres your sign" as Mr. Foxworthy said.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #13

New Jersey still had the crazy full service only when I was there 3 or 4 years ago. I was involved in group conversation about it with some locals at the time, and it seems to really be insane, for example it is full service only for gasoline being pumped into cars, not full service if you pull up with a diesel pickup truck, or if needing gas to be put in a gas can for a lawn mower, or into a boat on a trailer. To me this seems backwards as I have seen far more fuel spill when people fill 2 gallon gas cans than when filling their cars.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

Was it gas or Diesel that the gentleman was pumping into his truck? If Diesel I do let my truck and my wife's diesel engine car idle when filling up in the winter. No need to shut off a diesel vehicle.

What is even worse than smoking is the use of a cell phone when filling up and or sliding in and out of their car trying to keep warm. Static electricity can cause a gas fume fire also.

Closed Thread

Tags
gas