Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smoking campground neighbors

Last fall in an upscale campground but with narrow sites on the water (a canal to the intercoastal) I was stuck next to a smaller RV with 4 fishermen for a week and they all smoked, and spent all of their time out under their awning, right next to our dinette and couch windows. Weather was great and we really wanted to keep our windows open, but we just couldn't stand the stink so whenever they were in camp and the wind blew wrong, we had to keep the windows closed and the A/C on. They were really nice and friendly, but I just wasn't comfortable talking to them about it. This is the third year at the same campground with the same guys, so I just asked the manager to try to relocate one of us this year if they return. Same campground, in April, 2 couples pulled in for a week, same situation.

How would you handle this, and do you think a no smoking section in some campgrounds is warranted?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Were they violating any campground rules? If not, it would appear that your option is to deal with management and get relocated.

Rusty
Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I kinda agree with you but if you go with the no smoking section next you would have to go with a no campfire section and next it would be no smokey BBQ grills.
I just count on getting some bad situations every now and then and just try to roll with the punches and count them as the price you pay for all the great days you get.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Maybe it's time to hang up the "camping hat" and check into the retirement home. These guys had every right to enjoy their fishing trip without someone complaining because they couldn't open their windows. I agree, they broke no rules. This is from a non-smoker.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
How would you handle this, and do you think a no smoking section in some campgrounds is warranted?
Just live with it or relocate.... it would be selfish to infringe on your neighbors rights so long as they are abiding by the rules.... as mentioned there are all kinds of smokey things going on in campgrounds..... you seem to be handling it appropriately..... I'm a non smoker and hate second hand smoke,,,,, pet peeve is smokers outside of public buildings but right near the entrance..... however on there own campsite under their own awning is ok with me... If I don't like it I will close my windows as you did or go out and join them......
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
laj

Don't like smoking either. Is there a possibility of booking a different time by say a week or so either direction and that way avoiding the situation all together. Very filthy habit.
Just an idea.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're Lucky

My DW would have a royal fit if I approached a neighbor about something like this.

Being a non-smoker, I REALLY do not want to be breathing somebody's second hand smoke and would just ask park mgmt to move me.

But, consider yourself "lucky" that they were only smoking "Lucky's." Here in the Land of Flakes, Nuts, and Fruits, medical Marijuana is legal and we have had neighbors that were smoking their prescription right next to us.

Regular tobacco smells pretty good compared to the smell of these peoples weed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not just cigarettes

We were at a popular, and tight, state beach campground. The neighboring sites fire pit was no more than 4 feet from my rig. But every night our neighbors built a roaring fire. When they got sufficiently drunk they went inside and left the fire unattended. After a couple of nights of this I started dousing the fire for them. Otherwise I got to breathe smoke all night long.

But even that was better than the time we ended up next to the three 'ladies' who did nothing but scream & cuss at their kids all day and most of the night. They all smoked too. One day of this was all we could take! We moved! When I ran my slides in I found out that they had been throwing their garbage under my rig! Lovely folks.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't smoke tobacco either, but its legal. If'in ya don't like it, move. Its pretty much a no brainer to me. When you pick a CG where you're stacked up that close, there's going to be conflict.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Wow. There are lots of problems in campgrounds, that's for sure, from loud drunks to speeding kids on bicycles and skateboards, smokers, all-nighters, dopers, fighters, boring people, unresponsive managers, holier-than-thou neighbors, low voltage and water pressure either too high or too low, thieves, boomboxes and people who spit. It just ain't as easy as everybody told me, havin' all this fun in the RVing life. But, you know what? I'm still willing to put up with all of them, if they are willing to put up with me....
Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
X2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman
Wow. There are lots of problems in campgrounds, that's for sure, from loud drunks to speeding kids on bicycles and skateboards, smokers, all-nighters, dopers, fighters, boring people, unresponsive managers, holier-than-thou neighbors, low voltage and water pressure either too high or too low, thieves, boomboxes and people who spit. It just ain't as easy as everybody told me, havin' all this fun in the RVing life. But, you know what? I'm still willing to put up with all of them, if they are willing to put up with me....
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya forgot the neighbors dogs and cats crapping under your camper and all over the campground also!

burfurd
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #13

I'm a non smoker. They have rights just like you. I'm sorry but I'm on their side here. They did nothing wrong.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
I just count on getting some bad situations every now and then and just try to roll with the punches and count them as the price you pay for all the great days you get.
X2 Great attitude.

I sure realize it can be frustrating but I'd close my windows.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Closed Thread

Tags
campground