Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Snake a snake!!

I summarized the MH a few weeks ago for our trip down to Arizona and ran water for some time to flush the pink out. I was checking the water in the batteries when the DW came out of the MH and said..."we've got a BIG PROBLEM". She led me into the MH and showed me the shower pan...it was almost full of water...pink. We never had any problems when we winterized it so why now? I hooked up the sewer hose and pulled the drain on the grey water. Nothing came out. So, I got a small snake and went down the shower drain and walla...what ever was blocking the drain gave way. I went outside and the remains of a snake had come out the drain hose!!! We were totally in awe. Last year we were parked for three months on the west coast fishing. I always leave the black water tank closed but leave the grey tank open until I know I'm going to dump the black water and will close the grey tank a day before. The snake must have come thru the sewer and into the gray water tank? Our shop is uninsulated and we had at least 30 below zero days last winter. It must have tried to get out but couldn't and ended up freezing to death. I'm thinking twice now about leaving the grey water tank open. The DW looks twice now before stepping into the shower!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Were you running your grey out on the ground and had an open end where it entered?

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I summarized the MH a few weeks ago for our trip down to Arizona and ran water for some time to flush the pink out. I was checking the water in the batteries when the DW came out of the MH and said..."we've got a BIG PROBLEM". She led me into the MH and showed me the shower pan...it was almost full of water...pink. We never had any problems when we winterized it so why now? I hooked up the sewer hose and pulled the drain on the grey water. Nothing came out. So, I got a small snake and went down the shower drain and walla...what ever was blocking the drain gave way. I went outside and the remains of a snake had come out the drain hose!!! We were totally in awe. Last year we were parked for three months on the west coast fishing. I always leave the black water tank closed but leave the grey tank open until I know I'm going to dump the black water and will close the grey tank a day before. The snake must have come thru the sewer and into the gray water tank? Our shop is uninsulated and we had at least 30 below zero days last winter. It must have tried to get out but couldn't and ended up freezing to death. I'm thinking twice now about leaving the grey water tank open. The DW looks twice now before stepping into the shower!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Were you running your grey out on the ground and had an open end where it entered?
By the OP's post, he was hooked up to a sewer.......
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just another reason NOT to leave either the black or the gray tanks valves open for any reason.

I have never left mine opened in the past 10+ years of full-timing and have no intentions of changing.

By filling the tanks full and then dumping has kept them working well and clean.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Just another reason NOT to leave either the black or the gray tanks valves open for any reason.

I have never left mine opened in the past 10+ years of full-timing and have no intentions of changing.

By filling the tanks full and then dumping has kept them working well and clean.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have always left my gray tank open until the day before I dump the black tank.

I may have to rethink that policy!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've found that it doesn't take that long to hookup and unhook the sewer hose.

I started doing this after I was at a campground in Las Vegas and a neighboring camper stepped on my sewer hose crushing it. Since then I have always unhooked the sewer hose after dumping and putting it back in storage. This also eliminates the problem of having critters follow it back into the RV.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
NO..no..no..It entered the grey water tank last year from the sewer we were hooked up to when we were on the West Coast and unknown to me it was probably there inside the grey water tank even when I winterized the MH last October. Take three months of temps between -12 and 20 and it didn't stand a chance. I ran the grey water out on the drive pad and out it came.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Holy Snakes Bat Man.
I have always tended to leave both valves closed until full. The Black Valve for obvious reasons but The Gray Valve mostly to prevent Sewer Gas from coming back into the coach. This puts a whole different spin on that theory.
Thank you for sharing this.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
The snake must have come thru the sewer and into the gray water tank?
Maybe it came in thru the front door, crawled over the bed, took a shower, then went to leave thru the drain and got stuck??

Ok, don't tell the wife that possibility!!!

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote