Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The snake avoidance training Lily attended used snakes in cages made of hardware cloth over a wood frame, not loose. The snakes moved very little, if at all. This trainer seems to have a better approach. I'll take Lily to see them next Fall.

Most dogs get bit in the face because they are investigating an unfamiliar smell. Avoidance training quickly teaches them that that smell means pain. I like the idea that this trainer also uses sight and sound in the training.

We've spent 3 winters in southern Arizona and have not seen any snakes of any kind, but I’m a believer in letting them alone if they are not where I must go.

Back in 1990 I moved to very rural Oklahoma during my "back to nature" phase. I had chickens until the evening that I went into the chicken coop just before sunset to collect eggs. I touched a rat snake curled up in a nesting box. I called a neighbor to come remove it. I repaid the neighbor by giving him the chickens and the coop.

Another time I went out to mow. I stood beside the mower for about 20 minutes working on the muffler. Then I jumped on and backed out only to see a huge copperhead slither out. I always moved the mower first after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #44

Rattlesnake Ready, LLC - Welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E743DCC1-3E6A-4450-82DD-AD7F7806D517.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	203960  
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
You couldn’t pay enough money to put that thing on a rattlesnake
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Imagine how mad that rattler will be when you take that tape off!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Ray...typo? ....I think you meant "emaciated"....lol
Good catch! Darned spell-check.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Snakes have earned the right to be on this planet through evolution, no different then humans. Humans are the big bad bullies here. Live and let Live!
Volcanoes are natural too, but I wouldn't want to live next to one.

It's one thing to encounter a rattler in the wild where you stand a good chance of avoiding them, but quite another if they're living near (or under) your house -- Rattlesnake!

Since rattlesnakes are territorial, moving them is as good as killing them. Also, if you kill one, stay away from it's head . . . decapitated snakes can still bite (happened to our neighbor too).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago there was an old timer that trained dogs to avoid rattlers. he used live snakes and a shock collar and when the dog's attention went to the snake, even for a split moment she got nipped by the collar. Used to take her every year for a refresher. I think he must have passed away as I stopped getting reminders. For those that would say shock collars are crewel, would you rather have your dog suffer from a snake bite? It was less than $100 and only took a few minutes. No harm done to our Irish Terrier "Nina" and I didn't have to worry about her. If we were out she would naturally avoid any area that may have had a snake.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
... do you really need to share photos of your glory? ...

I did not post it to “share my glory”.
I’m not a trophy collector.

I was just alerting our members to the dangers out here.

Quote:
... I hate cats, If i killed one and posted the photo here I am sure it would be removed. Not sure why the trophy photo of the snake killing gets to stay.

That’s not really a fair comparison.
If you happen to step near one, or on one, a cat biting you will not inject venom into your body.

Your limb may swell up, but the dangers are no where close to those of a snake.

Two totally different worlds.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Volcanoes are natural too, but I wouldn't want to live next to one.

It's one thing to encounter a rattler in the wild where you stand a good chance of avoiding them, but quite another if they're living near (or under) your house -- Rattlesnake!

Since rattlesnakes are territorial, moving them is as good as killing them. Also, if you kill one, stay away from it's head . . . decapitated snakes can still bite (happened to our neighbor too).

Sounds like moving is a good solution, find a place to live where rattlers don't live if you can't live with them!!
I can't believe that relocating a rattler is as good as killing them??
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Sounds like moving is a good solution, find a place to live where rattlers don't live if you can't live with them!!
I can't believe that relocating a rattler is as good as killing them??

People that don't have to experience what TechWriter mentioned are always quick to say how they could live with it if it was their house. Until its their house and they find out how dangerous it is to live with a poisonous snake infestation.

Nothing like getting up to make breakfast and find a snake curled up on the stove.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #53

Great, we are into the sixth mass extinction on earth! Our attitude toward wildlife has to change or humans will be next.

The number of wild animals in the world has been cut in half in the last 50 years, and nearly half of all mammals have lost more than 80 percent of their range/population in the last 100 years, said a study published last July in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
People that don't have to experience what TechWriter mentioned are always quick to say how they could live with it if it was their house. Until its their house and they find out how dangerous it is to live with a poisonous snake infestation.

Nothing like getting up to make breakfast and find a snake curled up on the stove.
It is about killing of a snake because it was under or near rv ( I assume in a campground of some type) not an infestation in a persons home.

One snake outside just doing it thing is not even close to the same as an infestation and waking up to a snake on the stove.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I did not post it to “share my glory”.
I’m not a trophy collector.

I was just alerting our members to the dangers out here.

That’s not really a fair comparison.
If you happen to step near one, or on one, a cat biting you will not inject venom into your body.

Your limb may swell up, but the dangers are no where close to those of a snake.

Two totally different worlds.
Proudly posting a photo of your killing and warning others are not the same.

You choose to give us details of your killing with photos to prove it or to stroke your ego or whatever reason.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Proudly posting a photo of your killing and warning others are not the same.

You choose to give us details of your killing with photos to prove it or to stroke your ego or whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
... I had a 5 foot piece of 1” square tubing & another guy had a golf club.

We did manage to kill it...

To stroke my ego?

Please show me in my quote THE EXACT WORDING where I was attempting to stroke my ego.

I must have missed it.