Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Snake Awareness

Just a little warning about snake awareness. (I posted about this in another location on this forum, but I think that it would be better served posted here.)

A lot of RV parks have a lake, pond or river nearby.

Ours has a 6-acre pond.
A few nights ago, there was a guy standing next to the 5th wheel that was parked next to ours. He was just standing there, shining a flashlight under his rig.

I stepped over to see what he was doing.

A cotton mouth snake was coiled up right under the nose of that 5th wheel, & he was trying to figure out what to do about it.

No one seemed to have anything to kill it with.

I had gotten rid of all of my yard tools. Figured I wouldn’t need them anymore in my “new” life.

I had a 5 foot piece of 1” square tubing & another guy had a golf club.

We did manage to kill it.

After that, THAT NIGHT, I went straight to Home Depot and bought a hoe.

Told the people on both sides of my rig that, if they needed it, feel free to come get it (and chop away), just to put it back, in case I were to need it.

Don’t let the thought of snakes stop you from enjoying the outdoors.

Just be aware & watchful.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	203572
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #2

I think that the reason that the snake was out & about was because the RV Resort had let the grass grow a little bit taller than it should have been.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Don’t tell the DW or we’ll be having a RV fire sale!!!!
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Did the guy have a bunch of lights on outside? Light sdraw bugs, bugs draw frogs and frogs draw.....yep ...snakes that belly up to the bar.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #5

Yikes!!! Having lived in Colorado for 7 years prior to full timing we are pretty "outdoors" aware. We were used to being bear aware, mountain lion aware, and snake aware when ever we were outside. Those were common preditors in the area we lived in.

We were snow birds down in Florida this past winter and was down there for 4 months before we saw our first snake. In Florida we also became alligator aware too. When in nature you just have to be aware of your surroundings.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tip about snake bites.

In the old westerns you always see the hero use a knife to cut the bite location and suck out the poison. Do not do this, 1) all the germs in your mouth are now in the victim's open wound, 2) if you have an open wound in your mouth you may have just envenomated yourself, and 3) it doesn't work anyway, neither do the suckers in snake bite kits, all any of the does is waste time that should be used to get to medical aid.

Best first aid is get them to a medical facility as soon as possible. Anti-venom is the appropriate treatment. Keep them calm, this slows the heart thereby slowing the movement of the venom through the body.

If you frequently find yourself in areas populated by snakes and remote to emergency medical care, watch a few snake bite first aid videos or better yet take a wilderness first aid course. Compared to a typical first aid course they do a better job on things like snake bit first aid. Even in my EMT courses we just barely covered snake bites. This could be because I took my EMT training in Alaska, no snakes in Alaska.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Did the guy have a bunch of lights on outside? Light sdraw bugs, bugs draw frogs and frogs draw.....yep ...snakes that belly up to the bar.

That’s what’s so weird.
He had no outside lights on.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

The other day (here at 7000' in Flagstaff) I heard DW let out a shriek outside the coach. Turns out it was a 5' gopher snake going through our site. If you didn't know, they have a rattlesnake-type pattern, but no rattle and don't have a triangular pit-viper head. I shooed it along to kill more mice. Some snakes are beneficial, so a little education is a good thing.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #9

Poisonous snakes have a beneficial purpose in life. They look really good on a pair of cowboy boots.

[emoji38]
Old 05-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I tend to move them or just leave them alone if I encounter them outside. I figure I'm in their living room and it would be rude to kill them. Now if they enter my living all bets are off.

As a young boy I remember my uncle finding a copperhead in grandma's favorite shrub, we he was having no luck with the hoe so he grabbed the 12ga, not only did cure the snake problem it absolutely destroyed grandma's shrub. There is no way that snake could have been any more dangerous than grandma was at that point.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #11

Some interesting information on snakes and how to keep them away:

How to Keep Snakes Out of Your House or Yard
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The other day (here at 7000' in Flagstaff) I heard DW let out a shriek outside the coach. Turns out it was a 5' gopher snake going through our site. If you didn't know, they have a rattlesnake-type pattern, but no rattle and don't have a triangular pit-viper head. I shooed it along to kill more mice. Some snakes are beneficial, so a little education is a good thing.
Absolutely. Snakes are great rodent hunters and smaller ones eat their fair share of insects etc. Coincidentally, I picked up a 20” garter snake today in the driveway and DW said “gross” but I reminded her that a bit a bit bigger and it’s feeding on baby rats and mice. She liked that idea. Don’t love snakes, but if one is careful and aware of the surroundings at all times (see contestants on Darwin’s List) one should be ok. The snake was released and scooted under the woodshed.
Otherwise it’s fate. LOL!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #13

We have copper heads, rattle snakes and I found out the other day also water moccasins. My husband sent me a pic.

I worry that I will find a snake in my battery compartment because its warm in the winter. Thats good advise about the hoe it would work better than a shovel when getting one out from under something.

I have brought home black snakes Ive caught inside my warehouse. They sure are noisy when slithering between pallets. Freaked my employees out. Pretty sure that was the "haunted" they were all talking about. haha When you have an adult male true blue southern redneck nascar fan in a tizzy in your office about the warehouse being haunted...makes you wonder if it really is.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #14

Snakes have earned the right to be on this planet through evolution, no different then humans. Humans are the big bad bullies here. Live and let Live!
Think of it this way, one guy wants to kill all snakes, another guy wants to eliminate all bugs, then another wants to get rid of all trees due to pollen. Put it all together and we have a barren lifeless planet like Mars.

That said the wife jumped out of the truck a couple of years ago and stepped on a copperhead holding its head down. She froze for a minute while the snake was thrashing around before she realized what was going on. The wife can still move pretty fast!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote