Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Snakes

Keep my RV on a farm with lots of woods/hills near Peoria, IL. Have a 1999 Rexhall Vision, in really good shape and thought it was pretty well sealed up.

Was there over the weekend and to my annoyance, found a shedded snake skin in the front, winding up under the dash. Appeared to be five feet plus.

Looked all over but appears it has gone.

So... Anyone know of a good snake repellant? Have some stuff on order that they say to spray around the outside area. Any stories of success for detering snakes?

Think it was a bull snake but could be black snake or blue racer.

Did have a mouse (snake food) in the bathroom that had made a nest in the cabinet but a glue trap took care of him before snake had a meal. Have glue traps on the floor but never had a mouse in one.

Thanks for any info.

Gary
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yuck; that's creepy. I have no idea if there are any effective snake repellants, but at least you don't have to worry about mice. Good luck!!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
It's more common than most would think. We found a snake skin in our Airstream trailer, which is permanently anchored. Nobody is there six months out of the year. The skin was found in an outside compartment near the hot water heater. Trouble is, the compartment is accessible from inside! We never saw the snake, however. We use moth balls, dryer sheets, and also a powder we bought at Home Depot. I don't know if they make a difference. A neighbor also found a skin in his trailer. Don't know how they get inside.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I think some of the previous conversations that you might use some of the same things used to prevent other rodents.

In storage we use moth balls around the outside of the RV and any points that make direct ground contact.

Inside, put out some of the dryer sheets and in places where they might hide out.
As a precaution we set out some mice bait, if we see any has been eaten then we know if any came around. We have never had a single grain of bait gone so guess the moth balls and dryer sheets are keeping them away.
There are also the ultra sonic sound emitters, never tried them.
I have heard other good ideas just do not remember them all. We have had neighbors get mice in their boats when in storage. Ours is stored right next to them but we have moth balls inside and out and never had a mouse problem.

I am sure others have some good ideas for you. Good luck!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't worry about a snake in my MH as they do no damage. What would bother me is if they can get in, so can mice.

A mongoose would work great, but then you have mongoose droppings composed of a snake anyway, same with an owl

A snake would enter to either get food (mice smell) or to get warm. I think I would put plenty of mothballs in the bays or any other entry points. I've battled mice for years and used everything out there. I came across granulated Bobcat urine 2 years ago and no mice since. I keep traps baited with peanut butter inside just in case, but haven't trapped one yet.

Here's a snake repellent.....

http://www.serpentguard.com/?gclid=C...FbFQOgodg3sAIg
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Best thing I have used for mice is glue traps from Gempler. Buy the ones created for meat packing plants that work all year round. They work and unlike bait, I know when I've caught the critters.

My brother said he's had snakes get caught on the glue boards. I used up every glue board I had when I left on Sunday. Going back this week to see if the snake had a chance to crawl accross some of the glue boards.

I don't care about the snake being in the RV to catch mice but I know they like and seek warm places. I wouldn't want to reach down in the middle of the night and think my appendage was bigger than it is then be disappointed...
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
if my wife EVER got a hint of a snake in the rv, she's not going back in there....

heck - I may not either !!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
garden stores sell Snake-Away. Make it yourself. one box moth balls. we put moth balls in plastic cheese shakers. Put one shaker in every bay in MH. Do NOT use the Moth balls in the living areas of the MH. they can be a hazard to peoples life as a potential carcinogenic. Also put Irish sprint cut into pieces into vented plastic soap boxes and put one in each bay. Also put one behind each drawer in MH. Also buy those flea collars from wally world. Buy the largest size (same price as small ones). Cut into pieces and put one piece behind each drawer and cabinets. if you find the snake a 410 shotgun works real good. safe travels....ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a snake repellent for the yard a couple of years ago form a well know on-line garden center. Upon arrival I found that I had spent $40.00 for re-packaged moth flakes. Now I just buy moth balls at the dollar store.

The last time I bought some, because of a snake skin by my porch, there were two other people buying them for the same reason. It works,but you may not like the smell either.

Also works on mice, rats and squirrels in the attic.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #10

snake repellant

Snakes that have a "Jacobs Gland" are affected by moth balls and sulphur products. Not all snakes have a Jacobs Gland (cotton mouths/copperheads) and those snakes are not affected. So I have been told, not being a herptologist I've accepted the explanation.
toledochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #11

My grandfather was an avid outdoorsman in his youth, having grown up in the most remote county of California (Modoc) in the 1920's. As Western Diamondbacks are prevelent there he once told me he would ring the campfire with a sisal or manila rope and that the snakes would not cross it as it irriated the skin under the scales. Can't say for sure but I never got bit as a kid or found one in the sack sleeping under the stars camping with him, who knows.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
What is the Jacobson's Organ?

Interesting, albeit sorta disgusting
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
if my wife EVER got a hint of a snake in the rv, she's not going back in there....
I wonder if that would work on my wife !!!!
gio8856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

Most of the commercial snake powder is basically sulphur. the snake a way and other is for non-poisonous snakes, most info says it does not work for snakes that are poisonous. the glue strips will catch snakes if they are tetered and the snake tries to crawl across them,
faye is offline   Reply With Quote