Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having lived in "snow country" most of my life, I can relate.

It's not the light fluffy snow that is a problem, but if you get a warm up and it starts to rain all that snow will act as a sponge and the weight can climb exponentially. Warmer temps will also help the snow compact and turn to concrete, making it much more difficult to remove.

I agree, I'd not get on the roof. Lean a ladder up against it and use a shop broom to clean it off while it is still light and fluffy, if you can. Given the relatively narrow distance side to side I'd not worry about equalizing your removal from one side to the other.

Do be very careful - when it's that cold plastic vent covers, vent pipes and even A/C covers are very brittle and can be easily broken.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #16
I usually head over to the storage spot after every major storm. So these past couple months it seems to be almost every weekend!! I am sure most rigs can handle some snow and even a foot or so. Murphy's Law! I would like to be better safe than sorry.

Snow on average is about 7 pounds a square foot and if you get some rain that can jump to about 21 pounds. So at an estimated 200SQFT roof that's 1400 pounds potentially sitting up there. Then if you add rain to that with little melting you could be in some trouble.

I always go over and grab the roof rake and snow blower. I rake the roof knowing where all the stink pipes, refrigerator vents, air vents and antennas are and get as much off as I can then snow blow a path all around. I like the path all around since I do go over and run the generator once a month or so and go in and check on things.

This is what I personally do and it may not be of that much concern to everyone, but food for thought!

~Bring on spring!!

Jay & Jazz ~ Along The Way With J&J
1994 Tioga - Massachusetts
Follow Us! > Our Blog - YouTube - Twitter - FaceBook
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Man I'm glad I'm on the west coast this year. Spent the last 2 winters in the Poconos. Had all the snow and cold I wanna see for a looooooong time.

Keep warm, stay safe.
Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #18
30 degrees BELOW ZERO this AM! This IS out last winter!
Some parts of NH was -35

Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote