Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Snow loads 😦

Fleetwood 34' class A with ADCO cover. Since January we've had more than five feet of snow and sub zero windchill. No melting some compacting. Another foot plus today, five degrees and 35-45 mph winds. Long range forecast more snow possibly warmer and rain. You can't hire a roofer to clean the roofs on a house much less an RV. I'm getting concerned but have few if any options. Can't clean it myself. Can anyone with experience relieve my fears or should I have escaped south when I had the chance? Brutal winter...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

Can you get some local kids, 15/16 years to clear it under your supervision with plastic shovels? At least just get the top snow off and leave a foot for safety of the roof.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_NH View Post
Fleetwood 34' class A with ADCO cover. Since January we've had more than five feet of snow and sub zero windchill. No melting some compacting. Another foot plus today, five degrees and 35-45 mph winds. Long range forecast more snow possibly warmer and rain. You can't hire a roofer to clean the roofs on a house much less an RV. I'm getting concerned but have few if any options. Can't clean it myself. Can anyone with experience relieve my fears or should I have escaped south when I had the chance? Brutal winter...
Don't feel too bad Rick, I'm in the process od selling my 93 Pace Arrow Diesel so I have TWO motorhomes in my back yard. Already shoveled the roofs of both motorhomes as well as the house.

I strongly suggest you get that show shoveled off BUT you have a BIG problem. You can't get anybody up their & start shoveling..... Roof vent's, skylight along with the many other "goodies" on that roof, real easy to get busted. Those plastic sky lights and vents get REAL BRITTLE when cold!

I have to get back up on that Pace & cover a holding tank vent cap that got busted, no biggie but I will have to get to it before the spring thaw or I'll have water in the roof!

Best to have someone who knows RV's to shovel her. I'm in Concord & would be happy to help if your close.

Robert
Concord NH
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A word of caution for anyone who has to shovel off a house, barn or garage roof!!!
My neighbor is an expert on roof trusses and has been used as an expert witness in court for roofs that have collapsed. He told me that if a roof has to be cleared of snow load, it must be done equally on each side. He was a witness in at least one case where the owner had his roof (at his business) collapse while they were shoveling it off. They had almost all the snow removed from one side and that created a situation where all the weight was just on the other side of the roof.
The owner was trying to sue the truss company for inadequate load design.

He lost because he created the situation by creating an unequal load.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks for that warning and it makes sense.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
or should I have escaped south when I had the chance? Brutal winter...
Yes! Well someone had to say it.... Good luck
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would not worry about it, Think of "Pounds per square Inch".......when you are walking/standing on the roof, there is a whole lot more weight per square inch than a snow load. Even go to pounds per square foot, standing in one place........a lot more that 5' of snow..........Just my thoughts, as far a my house, never once cleared it off, it was built to specs. for my region/location to hold what ever Mother nature can throw at it............20+ years.......no problems.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Snow loads 😦

Thanks for the thought provoking and timely advice. Found help with a roof rake, took some off from the sides without damaging the cover. Wind is picking up, chill is about zero, it will have to do. Not going to worry about it.
Time to hunker down and listen to the oil burner run and run and.....
Appreciate the offer Robert. I'm in the Manchester area. No thank you, all set. Good luck with yours.
Understand the psi load while walking on the roof. What's the snow load rating of the tires and suspension 😂. Just kidding, I think
Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the thought provoking and timely advice. Found help with a roof rake, took some off from the sides without damaging the cover. Wind is picking up, chill is about zero, it will have to do. Not going to worry about.
Time to hunker down and listen to the oil burner run and run and.....
Appreciate the offer Robert. I'm in the Manchester area. No thank you, all set. Good luck with yours.
I'm just down the street from Makris Steak & Lobster on 106. I once cleared the snow off the Pace when I had the cover on her, Just got between the roof & cover & had it all off (and along the sides) in record time.

Will be selling the house and will FT in the Discovery. Will be our last (record Winter) here in Concord NH....Get a little teary eyed thinging about it .....NOT
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I'm just down the street from Makris Steak & Lobster on 106. I once cleared the snow off the Pace when I had the cover on her, Just got between the roof & cover & had it all off (and along the sides) in record time.

Will be selling the house and will FT in the Discovery. Will be our last (record Winter) here in Concord NH....Get a little teary eyed thinging about it .....NOT

Yep, know exactly where you are. Congratulations! I envy you. Planning to do the same in a couple of years.
All the best.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
What kind of liquid de-icer do they use on airplanes.

I have seen liquid windshield de-icer for sale at truck stop.

Anything would work better than wandering around on a slippery crowned roof 12 foot above the ground.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #12

Somebody said the answer. There is no reason to walk on the roof when you can stand on the ground with a roof rake and haul enough off to be safe. Just use a long pole and a board cross ways with a couple of braces and you can hoe enough off. Leave the last foot to avoid damaging things.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #13

Roof Rake & Snow Roof Rake Online Store
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #14

Snow loads 😦

Roof rakes are standard homeowner equipment around here. They're used to pull snow off the roof along the edge from the ground. I've icicles off the house roof more than five feet long. That means there's likely an ice dam along the edge that will backup the water under the shingles... You get the idea. Water runs down the inside of the walls soaking the insulation and pouring out around window casings. Heat loss and southern exposure warms the roof, melts the snow until it gets to the edge and 5 degree temp and freezes. If ice dams exist you have to pick, chop or blast channels in them to allow the water to flow. A war that can't be won in these temperatures. Some place electrical heating wires along the edge to melt the dams. Already had four roof collapses and have friends with water in their walls. The older I get the less tolerance for this stuff. Unfortunately with all this snow, the warming sun and spring showers this will get worse before it gets better. On new roofs the practice is to put waterproof rubber under the first three feet of shingles.