Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

Snow question re slide outs

Am I presuming correctly that with heavy snow fall and wind gusts predicted, that it would be wise to pull in the slideouts/with covers until it passes? This is on our 2009 Montana 3585SA. Only had it since the end of February and so many things we do not know...
Thanks for any advice, the storm is suppose to start Wednesday evening and last thru Thursday night.

Kitanigha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I would. Better safe than sorry.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Do you need the slides out?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
The slide can handle the snow, but if you need to retract then you will have to clear the snow off the top of the slide. Been there done that. Close up until after the storm. I have also had to break the ice off the topper after a rain and then freezing temperatures.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
The snow has to be removed prior to retracting the slide out. You are also likely to have the topper ice up with the snow you can easily damage the topper when removing ice and snow. My suggestion if heavy snow is expected put the slide outs in, don't risk the possible damage.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Done it both ways, Did not suffer damage but.. Well, I'd rather have 'em in than out in the snow.

Due to medical issues I did not leave Michigan till Thanksgiving, in fact the last thing i did in MI before pointing the RV south was Thanksigiving Dinner at a local Diner (They were giving them out from 2-8 PM Thanksgiving Eve for free).. I had my actual Thanksgiving Dinner in, I think , Georgetown, KY.

But the problem was some rain and snow and thaw caused an ice build up where some water pooled on one of the slide out toppers.

I was able to break it up enough to bring the slide in, but I still had a good size hunk of ice hanging on the side of the MH.. Not sure where it fell off.. But made it to Southern OH and it was still there the first night, Viola TN the second night, it was gone, Seneca SC (Destination) the third afternoon, almost exactly 48 hours after leaving Taylor, MI.

You know,, the doctors who worked on those medical issues... They did good.. It has been years since I could drive like that. Normaly that is at least a 4 day trip.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

I just pull mine in till after the snow stops. Free solution to what could be an expensive problem.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
We own a new Phaeton with quad slides and our past coach was a 2011 RED with quad slides and when a storm is reported with strong winds and heavy rains, it is always prudent to bring the slides in to be safe.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
When in doubt pull in the slide out.
2005 HR Ambassador, 2006 Vue toad
2008 Bichon Frise
b-Bota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

Just in case I missed thanking everyone who responded individually, thank you one and all! Slides will be going in! Thanks again!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
We recently were in snow country and 5 inches fell on our MH. In the morning, the DW wanted to get up on the roof and remove the snow from the slide-topper. I thought it might be too slippery and told her "no". We retracted the slideout and the snow rolled off the topper. What am I missing? My thinking was that no snow removal was worth falling off the roof of the MH.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #12

I hear you...

Did go ahead and put them in. In this instance, glad we did. When it was all said and done...about 24". Then it blew and now calling for possible rain... then cold again. Next year...

slide, slide out