Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #1

I've had it with the winters in the N.E. & am considering the purchase of an RV site, or perhaps a park model (overall condition not too important)somewhere in Fl. - doesn't matter, east or west coast, but has to be North of Tampa. Don't want to be in Fl. in Jan, Feb. & have to use my AC as in a recent trip to Ft. Myers. I don't mind cranking up heat at times.

I had spent some time at Hawaiian Ilses in Ruskin Fl. I could do that! I guess what I need to know is where should I be looking in order to do research. I am on a limited budget, w/a pension & SS. Any help would be appreciated.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #2

I've had it with the winters in the N.E. & am considering the purchase of an RV site, or perhaps a park model (overall condition not too important)somewhere in Fl. - doesn't matter, east or west coast, but has to be North of Tampa. Don't want to be in Fl. in Jan, Feb. & have to use my AC as in a recent trip to Ft. Myers. I don't mind cranking up heat at times.

I had spent some time at Hawaiian Ilses in Ruskin Fl. I could do that! I guess what I need to know is where should I be looking in order to do research. I am on a limited budget, w/a pension & SS. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
There ae so many RV communities to choose from it is hard to know where to begin. So much of this decision depends on how you want to spend your time. The best recommendation I can provide is to rent while you look over a specific area. Once in an area you will find hundreds of choices. Based on your OP, I would look at these areas:
1. Crystal River/Homosassa. This area has a lot of nature, wildlife and fishing.
2. Lakeland/Zephyrhills/Winter Haven. This are has lots of golf, shopping layed back and chill out atmosphere.
3. Lake Okechobee(not North of Tampa)(North & North East side of the lake). This is a great fishing area.
4. Clermont. This gets close to Orlando, with all that is available there.

You biggest decision may be just making a decision. There is every type of RV related lifestyle you can imagine, in these areas. I am sure there are additional areas North of Tampa, but these are the ones I have personal knowledge of.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
take a good look at So Texas, the Rio Grande Valley. Many, Many Great RV parks w/ own yer own lots. Winter Texans !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #5

Check out Traveler's Rest Resort in Dade City. It's a self-contained RV park w/ 9-hole golf course and much more. 30 minutes north of Tampa on I-75.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

Done Florida, Arizona, and Texas. The Rio Grande Valley of Texas is far and away the cheapest place to stay. I can spend the winter here for the cost of a month in Florida

2003 Dstar 4050
Dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

This web site will give you an overview of the taxes by state.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We spent two winters in South Texas (Rio Grande Valley)look in your camping directory for campgrounds in Benson, Mission, Donna, Harligen, and Westlaco, Texas. We stayed at Victoria Palms in Donna it is very nice (5 stars) and about half what a similar resort would be in Florida. Florida is nice but very crowded. There are some cheap campgrounds near Ocala (Marion County) but they are NOT RV resorts. They are fish camps. There are lots of lakes in this area and fresh water springs with canoeing/swimming etc. Look in your directory for Silver Springs, Lake Dora, Ocklawaha (Passport America). Lake City area also. You can still camp cheap in Florida but entertainment is not cheap. Texas is much better for cheap entertainment and inexpensive resturants.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #9

Rio Grande Valley ?? Uhm?? No thanks. After looking at the locale - just across the border from Mexico - & all the illegal problems the US of A. is having I'll take a pass. I wouldn't feel comfortable. Sorry !!

The rates, despite what folks are saying, are pretty much in line w/comparable sites in Florida & at 10 miles per gallon - with the wind at my back & at 55-60 mph - I'll continue to look for a site in N. Fl. or S. Ga.

Am looking to escape the northeast but without having to resort to AC in Jan/Feb. I don't mind supplementing with some additional heat,whenever necessary. Will put on a flannel shirt as needed. Ocean views would be a plus. Any ideas??
Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #10

Fla Panhandle around Navarrre beach and Destin is a nice area. Cooler for sure.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

There are lots of reasonably priced manufactured homes in the Ocala, FL area. Bth near the city and out in the Ocala National Forest and surrounding small towns, so you can choose city or rural. We have our home base there, about 13 miles from the city in a rural, forested area we like.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Sounds like most go to Florida or S.Texas. What about Arizona. I am new to RVing and was interested to know what it cost per month in each one of these states
rtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
jodann,
Try here

I've been here many times. Quite park and no pool. Very reasonable rates. RV or park model, it matters not. They usually have some already on a site, for sale.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote