Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

So what's next? Need suggestions.

My wife and I have been living in our Cari-lite 5th wheel, fulltime, for a couple of years. We don't have a truck so we've never traveled but we're getting ready for retirement and want to travel. Would like to hear from other full-timers for suggestions on the following:

1 - I'm a fulltime biker. I love riding my motorcycle. I'm not sure we can continue with our current 5th wheel when we start traveling because I won't have anyway to haul the bike.

2 - We love our 5er. The interior is just wonderful and we really feel at home. Most of the "toy haulers" we've seen (see #1 above) just don't compare to the luxury / coziness we've grown accustomed too. They feel like weekend campers, not fulltime houses.

3 - Our 5er weighs in at 17,500+ lbs. Looking at trucks and I guess we're going to need a monster truck to pull this beast. And a monster truck is WAY out of our price range.

So...should we be looking at a different type of RV? One that allows taking the motorcycle with us? Is there a way to stay with the Cari-Lite and still be able to haul the bike? Are there other options for us? I'm sure there's got to be other out there in a similar situation. How are you doing it?

Thanks in advance!
Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

If you can't buy a big enough truck to safely pull it, then you'll just have to get something else. Big truck/trailer, or MH and toad.
You can make the bike situation work easily.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are several ways of doing this. If you can use your bike as your only mode of travel, you can pull a trailer behind a motorhome. If you need a vehicle plus the bike, you could pull a 5th wheel and attach a lift to the back of the trailer. Here is one of several possibilities for a lift. Lift. Google "motorcycle lift rv" for others.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have much experience with any specific big rigs like that. We have had 3 MH's and 3 TT's but they have always been in the 30-35' range. I do realize that the 5-er's have a lot of space. Some have reported that most MH's can't come close to liveable space of a 5-er. However we all have to make choices about what we want and what we can have. If you really want to keep the bike life then I think there's a MH that you could like and then either pull the bike on an open or closed trailer. Today's MH's with all the slides can be very roomy and you may find one that is to your liking so you can have close to the best of both worlds. Best of luck in your search.

TeJay
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You can get a 1ton diesel dually truck that is a couple years old set up to tow your 5er. As far as the bike goes, sadrand has a very probable solution. The modern trucks are very comfortable and easy to drive, the only thing that you have to remember is the width and extra length. You need to do your homework on gvwr of the different years, and son't forget about the different gear ratios that effect the capibilities of the different trucks.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Look on "trucktrader.com". You'll be surprised at the prices of some trucks in the Chevy 4500, Ford F-650 range already set up to haul a 5th wheel. Then for the motorcycle there are lift that can go on the back of the 5th wheel, or you can get one of the platforms that bolt to the back of the trl that have pivoting wheels under them.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get a MDT (medium duty truck) like a Freightliner FL60 or FL70 and have a towing bed installed with a motorcycle lift/rack behind the cab.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

One option is to buy a 1T dually pickup, then buy an Automated Safety Hitch to pull your 5er. Haul your bike in the truck-bed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After you get your truck to haul your 5'r. I would worry about your tires and wheel bearings that have been sitting for a few years. They need a good inspection. The trailer brakes will need to be checked too. Tires may be flat spotted, wheel bearings and brake linkages may need to be lubed.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
You could go with a TT and lighter truck. Pull the motorcycle in the bed of the pickup. Some nice TT out there.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #11

Hauling a bike in a truck works, but getting the bike in and out of the truck is not easily accomplishes with a big bike.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Look at these? Folding Swivel Wheel Trailer

The The ultimate motorcycle transport system for use with your fifth wheel travel trailer.

A Custom Motorcycle Carrier on our Fifth Wheel

Shop 4 Motorcycle Trailers
Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #13

Thanks everyone!

You guys are awesome - lot's of great ideas!
Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
A little different situation but maybe an idea for you. My wife passed in June and I found myself rattling around a lot of space in a 36 foot fifth, so I considered downsizing a bit. At the same time, this fall, I went back to riding after a long absence and remembered how much fun it was.
I started the search with toy haulers and quickly found that the garage did not really convert to living space so a trailer was going to be the same size as I had. Went and looked at several travel trailers and found one under 30 foot that I liked, not perfect compared to the Hitchhiker but pretty good.An internet search turned up a used Rampage motorcyle lift for sale locally which quickly came home with me. That will let me load my dyna glide by myself so now I'm set with both.

Bill