Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #15

@emoney, you do have a useful perspective.
So let's say YOU wanted to purchase an RV. And the one you need, well you can just barely afford it. Well, let's say you can only afford it, only if you get a really great deal.

Knowing what you know, how would you handle the deal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I was in sales (semiconductor) in Asia for many years...cut-throat business, so I looove to negotiate. My rules are:

- Come armed with as much info as you can...base-prices, other dealer prices, MSRP, market etc.
- Try and wait for the "best time"...many dealers need to get previous years off their lot at the end of the year. RV shows can be a good time too.
- Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Start lower than where you want to be...and end up where you plan to
- Ask the dealer to add stuff to sweeten the deal...add-ons, extras etc.
- Always, always be ready to walk away. If the deal doesn't meet your goals there will be other deals down the line that will.

We walked into our RV at an RV show in San Diego. It was in fact the first time I'd ever stood in an RV. We liked it and decided to buy it there and then. We had our data and negotiated for 4 hours. The dealers were very, very keen to sell something at the show (it was the last day and last few hours of the show and they didn't want to go home empty handed). We were keen to buy, but only if we got a good deal. Got 70% off the price, free satellite installation, 6 months free storage and free warranty (the coach had 5000 miles on it).

Nina

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
So, many of us want to be taken advantage of?

So I, as someone who has worked his whole life to earn enough money, hopeful, to do some traveling, should not fret over the numbers of such a major purchase?

So I should just hand over my money, cause they are holding all the cards.

@emoney, thank you for all the suggestions on making the deal easy, smooth, and profitable for the RV dealership and sales staff.
There is some very good advice in emoney's post. Most important...do your homework before you get into negotiations. Good luck!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We recently purchased our new truck. We went into the dealership with check in hand from our bank. We drove away with the truck. We had done our homework.

They did a lot of whining. Wanted us to add more money, but we repeated the same response. "We don't have that much in our checking account, we don't have that much in our savings account, we don't have that much credit available on our credit cards, no I will not touch my 401K."

Persistence is the key.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Got 70% off the price, free satellite installation, 6 months free storage and free warranty (the coach had 5000 miles on it).

Nina
70% off!! All I can say is, that must have been one heck of an inflated price to begin with...Even Campworld doesn't have that kind of mark up...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
@emoney, are you now in RV sales? :-)
(note the smiley, no offense intended)
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
emoney, thanks for the insight. I'm sure someone could find it useful. Then there will be some that pick at your advice because of just what you said in the last sentence.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #22

"70% off the price"??????? Either this is a mis-print or I don't understand something. I could see buying it for 70% of the asking price, however, buying it for 70% off ( 30% of the asking price) sounds odd to me. I'd actually be leary of any motorhome, or Dealer, willing to knock off 70% of the price to sell me a motorhome!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
70% off!! All I can say is, that must have been one heck of an inflated price to begin with...Even Campworld doesn't have that kind of mark up...
I bought my 2005 in 2011... I go 70% off the sticker plus another $4k in upgrades. Sure it had 25k more miles on it and a previous owner title. I still think I did well for the condition/mileage/model. The previous owner was still making $500/ month payments on it. They netted a $7k of cash out of the sale.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #24

I never haggle.
I am calm and patient.
I know the true value via research.
I go in with a price in mind.
I listen to their price.
I make my offer.
They take it.
They make a fair profit.
Everyone is happy!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt
We were keen to buy, but only if we got a good deal. Got 70% off the price, free satellite installation, 6 months free storage and free warranty (the coach had 5000 miles on it).

Nina
It is very difficult to respond this statement without coming off as offensive....Good for you if you got 70% off the asking price plus several thousand dollars worth of "extras".....but....I don't think this post is very helpful.

In my opinion (granted not worth much)... You can do all the MSRP research you want.... All the Internet research you want... Read all the "how to negotiate the best deal" books you want...you can marry the owner of Newmar...but if everyone that wants to buy a new/used RV goes into the negotiations expecting a +70% price discount...well there are going to be a lot of very disappointed people who enjoy getting laughed off the lot!

Sorry....not trying to be a jerk...just too good to be true.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
It is very difficult to respond this statement without coming off as offensive....Good for you if you got 70% off the asking price plus several thousand dollars worth of "extras".....but....I don't think this post is very helpful.

In my opinion (granted not worth much)... You can do all the MSRP research you want.... All the Internet research you want... Read all the "how to negotiate the best deal" books you want...you can marry the owner of Newmar...but if everyone that wants to buy a new/used RV goes into the negotiations expecting a +70% price discount...well there are going to be a lot of very disappointed people who enjoy getting laughed off the lot!

I believe I read in another thread that Wheelingit bought a pre-owned RV, so perhaps the 70% off the original retail is correct. I agree that we need all the facts before concluding that is a deal that should be negotiable.

ETA--Yes, in this thread they say they bought used... Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

It certainly is a huge discount but I would contend that it is intended to show (under the right circumstances) just how far some dealers might be willing to go... and not to try to set some standard discount which all RVers should expect to get. With 5K miles on it, it's a used coach being compared to MSRP of a new unit I assume?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
There was some inflation on the price, but they were also very, very desperate. Holiday Rambler had gone bankrupt by that time & the dealers were being pushed hard to move old inventory before being allowed new on the lot. Also since the coach only had 5,000 miles on it, it was being sold as almost "new". We knew that coming into it, so we negotiated way down from the start.

The nice thing is that we've had the coach 3 years now and we still paid less than current listed market value. So, we could potentially still sell it today for more than we bought it.