Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It certainly is a huge discount but I would contend that it is intended to show (under the right circumstances) just how far some dealers might be willing to go... and not to try to set some standard discount which all RVers should expect to get. With 5K miles on it, it's a used coach being compared to MSRP of a new unit I assume?

Rick
Yup, that's what they were doing. Using MSRP of a new unit...so definitely some inflation in the starting price. And the other factors meant they were willing to negotiate much lower than usual.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #30

I don't think we got a "good deal" on our NorthTrail, but we did get what we paid for.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #31

What irks me the most about negotiations (beside the fact I'm not good at it) is that if you won't tell me what your bottom line is to sell something, you can't get emotional over my offer.

I always offer my final offer first and will walk if it doesn't work. No hard feelings, I am fair but frugal, but if it's not going to work, I will use that time to look for another purchase. I hate getting the call after I walk out that they will take my offer only to come back and they have "miscalculated" and they try to raise the price when I walk back in.

First off, if you take my offer after I walk, why can't you take it before I walk.

Secondly, if you take my offer, then take it.

I know they have all the time in the world between customers, but I don't want to spend hours negotiating. I would rather spend that time enjoying my new purchase.

Rant over.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #32

Don't forget to ask the questions about service, service after the sale is as important as the sale itself. Get on the Purchase Order that they will make the required fixes to the coach as a PDI and not warranty. My dealer"promised" me that they would take care of my list...well they are getting taken care of, in their own sweet time.

My appointment was for 11/12/2012 and as of today they have not even started the repairs to my coach. It wasn't until I wrote an email to the General Manager that I even a got a date that they would commence work on my coach...

I don't want to make judgements yet about the service department at the dealership where I bought my MH, I am getting smarter for when I move up in a couple of years to a DP.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #33

I took a job selling new and used cars many years ago just for the experience when I was between career jobs. Ended up having a ball and stayed for three years. It takes a very,very, good negotiator to get the upper hand on an experienced sales person. It got so easy for me that I could almost predict what the customer was going to say before they said it. When you do the same thing dozens of times every day it's like taking them by the hand and leading them to the signing office. They don't stand a chance.

For that reason, I won't set foot in a dealers showroom when I'm buying a car because I know I'm out of practice and no match for a savvy salesman. I do my research and do my negotiating on the phone and fax. Some dealers won't talk over the phone but, you'll find some that do. Bought my last three cars that way.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #34

So Speedpeddler,
since you were a successful salesman, tell us how does it all work from your end.

What do the buyer's try to do to get the best deal, and what does the dealer do to ensure the most profit?

Give us a glimpse inside the game.

James
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #35

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The easiest "glimpse" is to recognize that the Dealer is working from the "bottom up" while most consumers work from the "top down" as it all pertains to price, anyway.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Mr. M;1377281]So Speedpeddler,
since you were a successful salesman, tell us how does it all work from your end.

What do the buyer's try to do to get the best deal, and what does the dealer do to ensure the most profit?

Give us a glimpse inside the game.

James[/

Oh boy. I could tell you stories that would make you laugh and some that were downright distasteful. Every sales person is different and there are some really good pros that treat their customers with respect and truthfulness and there are the "stop at nothing to get the sale" type. That type doesn't last long but gives them all a bad rap.

I excelled because I didn't play games and jerk people around and have an easy going personality people seemed to trust. Here's why you can't beat em. First off, there's a price the dealer won't go below and it's usually well above what a customer is willing to pay. The hard sell from the sales person is for anything above and beyond that because that's where his commission can really take a jump. If your fixed on a price below their limit, they'll just say no eventually. But, they'll do their best to keep you talking as long as possible in the hopes you'll change your mind.

Also, I went through the sales pitch and process a dozen times a day, six days a week. I saw every tactic you can imagine over and over again daily. You buy a car once every few years. Like taking candy from a baby.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #37

Angry

[QUOTE=speedpeddler;1381005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Here's why you can't beat em. First off, there's a price the dealer won't go below and it's usually well above what a customer is willing to pay. The hard sell from the sales person is for anything above and beyond that because that's where his commission can really take a jump. If your fixed on a price below their limit, they'll just say no eventually. But, they'll do their best to keep you talking as long as possible in the hopes you'll change your mind.

Also, I went through the sales pitch and process a dozen times a day, six days a week. I saw every tactic you can imagine over and over again daily. You buy a car once every few years. Like taking candy from a baby.

Well, I'm not a baby, and my retirement nest egg is not candy. This is not very encouraging.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #38
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Mr. M;1382006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post

Well, I'm not a baby, and my retirement nest egg is not candy. This is not very encouraging.
Hey MrM, I understand your feelings here but I think speedpeddler is merely providing some insight based on his perspective. Gave me a little understanding of the process and I appreciate the brief behind-the-curtain peek.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #39

Everything has a fair market value and you want to buy for as close to that as you feel comfortable. I think most RVs have about a 42% markup when MSRP is used. That means in a perfect world a $50,000 rv has $21,000 in profit for the dealer. But how many people ever pay full MSRP? The dealer also has to make a profit so you are not going to get it for $29,000 OTD either. Research is the key to any good deal, know what things are worth.

When I bought my last truck I traded in my old one. Not the best way to deal but It was the only option I had. I knew what the truck was going to cost because I had the employee discount and that is the best price, right? So the real dealing came over the value of my trade in. I spent 7 hours in the dealership haggling. Two things happened, I got $2000 less for my trade in than I wanted but I got $2000 more off the price of my truck. For me it was a wash, the numbers worked out they way I wanted them to. I really didn't care how the dealer had to justify the deal. I also learned that that employee discount isn't the best price. I feel sorry for the salesmen the next time I go in to buy a vehicle!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Everything has a fair market value and you want to buy for as close to that as you feel comfortable. I think most RVs have about a 42% markup when MSRP is used. That means in a perfect world a $50,000 rv has $21,000 in profit for the dealer. But how many people ever pay full MSRP? The dealer also has to make a profit so you are not going to get it for $29,000 OTD either. Research is the key to any good deal, know what things are worth.

When I bought my last truck I traded in my old one. Not the best way to deal but It was the only option I had. I knew what the truck was going to cost because I had the employee discount and that is the best price, right? So the real dealing came over the value of my trade in. I spent 7 hours in the dealership haggling. Two things happened, I got $2000 less for my trade in than I wanted but I got $2000 more off the price of my truck. For me it was a wash, the numbers worked out they way I wanted them to. I really didn't care how the dealer had to justify the deal. I also learned that that employee discount isn't the best price. I feel sorry for the salesmen the next time I go in to buy a vehicle!
Um if there were that much profit in "used" rigs... Id betcha there'd were would some happy dealers. From what Ive seen at auctions for these things... there is no way you a getting a vehicle with that much profit in it.

Also spending 7 hrs at a dealership... and you didnt work there? If a deal cant be done in 20 minutes... its already costing you $$$.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #41

[QUOTE=Mr. M;1382006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post

Nothing to be discouraged about. Do your research, stand your ground, and don't let emotions influence your decision and you'll get a fair deal. Don't expect them to accept a offer that's not realistic. That's an unrealistic expectation.

It's unfortunate we have to play these games but that's the nature of the business. I suppose that's why CarMax does so well.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #42

I normally do some research on the internet before thinking about visiting a dealership when major purchases are contemplated. I search for actual selling prices paid by purchasers. PPL motorhomes website (one of several) posts actual selling prices for what they sell. Afterwards I look around on the internet for (in this instance) the same brand/model, motorhomes for sale. One used MH we went to look at was a high--end MH in good condition, but the asking price was $35,000 over what that units "sold" price as shown on the internet.We have a set number in mind before we leave home, and will not exceed that. When trading in a vehicle, I calculate the maximum difference we will pay. I tell the salesperson they can juggle the figures any way they choose, but we will not exceed our differential figure. We buy on OUR terms. When I told the salesman that, he became disinterested in further talks, so we left. There are far too many used vehicles for sale to do otherwise. IMO a salesman's commission is gravy on top of their base salary, kinda like a waiter and tips. Keep in mind you are working with YOUR MONEY!