Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Um if there were that much profit in "used" rigs... Id betcha there'd were would some happy dealers. From what Ive seen at auctions for these things... there is no way you a getting a vehicle with that much profit in it.

Also spending 7 hrs at a dealership... and you didnt work there? If a deal cant be done in 20 minutes... its already costing you $$$.
Todd I have that from a pretty good source, and that is from MSRP, Look at the ultimate mark do at RV shows. What is the discount from MSRP. I didn't just pull the figure out of my a$$ they are based on my experience and people in the business. Like I said in my post how many RVs are ever sold for anywhere near MSRP.

I am retired so I have nothing but time and if you were good at math you would know that $2000/7hrs=$285/hour. basic math and common sense. So again, how did I lose money??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I normally do some research on the internet before thinking about visiting a dealership when major purchases are contemplated. I search for actual selling prices paid by purchasers. PPL motorhomes website (one of several) posts actual selling prices for what they sell. Afterwards I look around on the internet for (in this instance) the same brand/model, motorhomes for sale. One used MH we went to look at was a high--end MH in good condition, but the asking price was $35,000 over what that units "sold" price as shown on the internet.We have a set number in mind before we leave home, and will not exceed that. When trading in a vehicle, I calculate the maximum difference we will pay. I tell the salesperson they can juggle the figures any way they choose, but we will not exceed our differential figure. We buy on OUR terms. When I told the salesman that, he became disinterested in further talks, so we left. There are far too many used vehicles for sale to do otherwise. IMO a salesman's commission is gravy on top of their base salary, kinda like a waiter and tips. Keep in mind you are working with YOUR MONEY!
At the car dealership I sold for base salary was minimum wage and you would not recieve it more than once!!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #45

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sadly, fishseeker's experience is more often the norm than it is unusual. On top of that, lots of these salesguys are asked to work 65-70 hours or more a week, yet still only claim 40 hours worked, should their commissions not be equal to or greater than minimum wage.

Don't forget, these salespeople are trained to recognize what certain body languages mean and a whole lot of psychology over and beyond their product training. Like has already been said, there's no doubt the dealer holds an advantage when it comes to negotiating. As for the 42% markup, while I can't factually speak from the RV dealer's perspective (auto business all those years) I would find it very difficult to believe there's anywhere near that kind of markup even in a 100k unit. Most vehicles in the, say 30k range, have about 10% markup from actual net, not including rebates, et al.

Some of the easiest things to look for when buying new or used is "time on the lot". The longer a unit has been in a dealer's possession, the more willing he/she is to offer you the better deal. It's known inside the industry that a vehicle's highest profit times are inside of 20days in inventory. So, a little dust here and there can mean some savings in the end. Model year changes/calender year changes usually bring out the factory incentives which are not always in the form of a customer rebate. There's a lot of money that changes hands between specific manufacturer's and dealers and that money can absolutely become a point of negotiation for the buyer, as long as you're aware of them. I've seen plenty $25k cars with incentives to the dealer reaching as high as $5k because of a body-style change (another great place to save $$).

When it comes to used, you usually can find recent sales figures to give you an idea of what to pay and if you ever find yourself at a total loss for what something's worth, you can always have a competing dealer put a wholesale figure on it for you. Now this isn't always a foolproof way, but if you're looking at unit A that's a 2005 32' whatever make with 22,000 miles and "x" equipment, there's no law against calling a couple of other dealers that are presently advertising "sales", etc. and asking them on the phone for a rough idea of what trade-in allowance would be, with the assumption you already own the RV. Obviously, never call and say, "Hey, I'm looking at unit A over at Bob's RV. Is it worth "X"', as you'll never get a straight answer there, lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
IMO a salesman's commission is gravy on top of their base salary, kinda like a waiter and tips. Keep in mind you are working with YOUR MONEY!
Most waiters/waitresses' "base salary" is about $2/hr. They depend on tips to make a decent wage. Likewise, most salesmen depend on their commissions to make a living.

As far as negotiating a deal, I believe if you leave happy with your purchase and feel that a reasonable deal was struck, then it's all good.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
When I bought my last truck I traded in my old one. Not the best way to deal but It was the only option I had. I knew what the truck was going to cost because I had the employee discount and that is the best price, right? So the real dealing came over the value of my trade in. I spent 7 hours in the dealership haggling. Two things happened, I got $2000 less for my trade in than I wanted but I got $2000 more off the price of my truck. For me it was a wash, the numbers worked out they way I wanted them to. I really didn't care how the dealer had to justify the deal. I also learned that that employee discount isn't the best price. I feel sorry for the salesmen the next time I go in to buy a vehicle!
When I go to deal, and I'm trading in a vehicle, all I care about is the difference. That's all we pay sales/use tax on here anyway unless buying without a trade, then it's on the actual cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Most waiters/waitresses' "base salary" is about $2/hr. They depend on tips to make a decent wage. Likewise, most salesmen depend on their commissions to make a living.
Not here in WA state, Minimum is about $9.16/hr PLUS tips. Figure 5 tables an hour and a $5 tip each and you get $34 an hour or so. Not bad for waiting tables.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not here in WA state, Minimum is about $9.16/hr PLUS tips. Figure 5 tables an hour and a $5 tip each and you get $34 an hour or so. Not bad for waiting tables.
We are drifting Off-Topic, but in TX the hourly wage is $2.13 for "tipped workers". 2012 - 2013 US Minimum Wage Tipped Employees, Minimum Pay Tipped Workers, Salary Waiter, Waitress, Server, Servers,Bellboy or an Employee in a Hotel, Minimum Wages Tipped Workers

And now back to RV negotiating...

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We did all of our "wheeling and dealing" over e-mail and phone. We wanted either factory pick-up or a dealer less than 2 hours away from the factory so worked with dealers all over the country. Some would give you good prices right away, some would want to know other dealers prices. We knew we had a pretty good deal when the dealers would not call us back to "beat" the other dealer's best offer after they said to call them and they would!

We signed the contract with the "winning" dealer via e-mail and FAX, I went to the dealer (about 600 miles from our house) after the coach arrived and spent 6 days getting to know the coach in their free camping spots with hook-ups, doing the PDI and getting the PDI issues fixed. All in all, a good experience. Too bad our salesman has retired or I'd recommend him.

Sold the old coach using Craigslist, so no trade involved.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #51
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we (DW and I) bought ours oh about 6 years ago, I know as soon as we left the lot that we did not get the deal that we thought we would get. For one thing, I did not do any research on the Net, and I wasn't that much active perusing the forums. We saw the units at the Rally, asked people that were interested in purchasing, and talked a bit with the salespeople trying to gauge their price ranges, and then comparing them with what some of the buyers were paying.

We basically ordered some of the must items that the DW says she wanted so I guess in a way, we're satisfied with what we've got and the price that came along with it. Did we regret not doing more with the price comparison, no we did not. But if ever we need to replace our Dolphin, not that we're thinking about it, I know I'll be doing a lot more research to ensure that we will really get a good deal and then brag about it.(LOL)
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #52

I am new to RV and thinking of buying a class C thinking of a diesel Mercedes because gas prices blow me away. any thoughts on a good one for the money?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave1132 gas here today is 3.75 and diesel is 4.20, makes a guy wonder about gas verses diesel doesn't it. Jim
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Not if the diesel gets 50% (or more) better mileage than the gasser and is more capable to boot due to its higher torque. The last gasser I had (a 1996 Dodge 8L V-10) got 6.5 MPG towing a 13,500 lb GVWR Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 5th wheel. When I moved to a 2002 Cummins HO diesel towing the same 5th wheel, mileage improved to 11-12 MPG at the same speeds over the same Texas Hill Country route. Sort of a no-brainer AFAIC.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, there is a lot of mark up on some RV's. Last Feb. we were originally quoted $19.5k + our 05' tt ( out the door price) for a new 2013 Aerolite tt at our local Aerolite dealership...Long story short... but we ended getting that same tt / same options for $9800 + our's (out the door price) from a dealer 2 hours away....

So the price for the same exact tt went from 19.5k to 9.8k out the door at two different dealers...So don't tell me there isn't any mark-up....When the guy told me $9800 plus mine over the phone...I was like speechless because I like to dicker for a lower price....It caught me off guard....I just said OK ill be over the next day to put down a deposit and order it....

To be fair..I did call back my dealership and gave them 24 hours to give me their "best & final" offer. They called me 7 times and got the price down to $15.5 k + mine....If they would have been say a $1000 over I would have bought from them...but almost 6k...I'll drive the two hours....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #56

I've just always had better luck with private sellers. They want something gone and are usually willing to negotiate more. Dealers have a number they cannot go below. (cost + profit)
If I'm buying new, I send out request for quote and take best offer. Usually these offers are within 5% of each dealers offer.
I also discovered it pays to be real patient. Good deals do come along. You just have to find them.