Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #15

Thanks guys looks like we are going to get her done.
sampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #16

I would suggest not using 5200. It is meant as a permanent bond and if you have a panel go bad it will be awful to get it back up. We have semi flex panels on our boat and like them, but on the rv I went with rigid since they are cheaper and you probably have plenty of good flat real estate on top. Renogy makes a nice z bracket for mounting. Personally I bedded our brackets with buytl tape letting the screws handle the clamping. Fiberglass roof.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateLMcD View Post
I would suggest not using 5200. It is meant as a permanent bond and if you have a panel go bad it will be awful to get it back up. We have semi flex panels on our boat and like them, but on the rv I went with rigid since they are cheaper and you probably have plenty of good flat real estate on top. Renogy makes a nice z bracket for mounting. Personally I bedded our brackets with buytl tape letting the screws handle the clamping. Fiberglass roof.
I used brackets to tilt the panels. Not a problem if I have to remove a panel.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Can you just splice into the existing wires from one solar panel to your additional panel and will the monitoring equipment handle the additional solar panel (s).
Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Can you just splice into the existing wires from one solar panel to your additional panel and will the monitoring equipment handle the additional solar panel (s).
You can use MC4 connectors to put multiple panels in place but also important is the size of the wire, the length of the run and the type of controller you are using. There is usually more to it other than simply splicing in another panel.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed 4 new 100 watt panels and the install was simple. I purchased the panels and all install items from AM Solar. They sell the panels in kit form or just the panel. They have an aluminum bracket that is made to fit their panels. I recommend them.
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #21

No regrets at all, only wish we had done it sooner. 1040 watts of solar, and as said, very happy.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #22

Here's a video on one way to mount the panels. In our 'circle' of RVers, all use brackets. No one has glued them directly on the roof.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #23

Thanks again everyone
sampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #24

Solar panels on roof

Since photo voltaic cells become less efficient as temperature rises, the panels are mounted with a cooling air gap underneath. Is there a difference in the design of the flexible cells to account for this as they are mounted directly to the surface? One salesman explained how they reflect more heat, but the way he described it sounded too much like PFM technology. Which are more efficient per square inch? Which have longer life expectancy?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
3M 4200 is just as durable but can be removed. 5200 will rip a hole in the fiberglass before it lets go.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, roof, solar, solar panel, solar panels