Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Sold it all and left!

Well, we finally did it! Put our house on the market, sold nearly everything we own and relocated to Charlotte, NC. Donna and I talked a long time about simplifying and getting back to the basics. So, we pulled the trigger. Not gonna full time, but we've relocated to find a small place to base out of and do the things we've always wanted to do.

We have always loved the Carolina's, have friends around this neck of the woods, so what the heck. We'd definitely like to hear from people and find out places to visit, things to do, and possibly make new camping friends.

Anyone out there in the Charlotte area?

Darren, Donna & The Wieners
Four Winds 31L
Thor Motor Coach
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats and have fun with your new way in life

2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Great plan, enjoy your travels.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
You're my hero.!
Mind sharing your age ? Just curious,I am thinking the same way.
99 Dutch Star Spartan 300 Cummins,Toad 06 Matrix
31 Model A , 2007 Road Glide,
DW Suzie and Georgia the Newfounland
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Welcome to Charlotte! We got here 22 years ago! We love it.

(actually located about 40 miles from Charlotte out here in the country, near York, S.C.)

2008 Thor Mandalay Presidio, 400 ISL
RVing since 1974!
Lots of Motorcycles
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Sold it all!

Wife and I are both 53 now. Too young to retire yet, but getting closer. Our jobs allowed us to relocate here, while maintaining some level of freedom. So this wasn't as bold a move as chucking everything and going would have been.

If I may wax poetic for a minute... We previously lived in a maintenance- free neighborhood consisting primarily of older retirees. This location allowed us more free time for camping or doing other things, as I wasn't constantly mowing, painting, etc.

In March a neighbor of ours had to go into hospice care. This gentleman was in his mid 80's and had lost his wife a couple of years earlier. His kids, none of which lived locally came home to help with the transition. With his blessing, they put the house up for sale and had a huge estate sale. They sold everything this man and his wife had worked so hard for 50+ years in one morning.

It hit me right then and there! It's all just "stuff" and we (people in general) put way too much stock in how much of it we can accrue. After that realization, my wife and I had numerous long discussions about our priorities. Had a family meeting with our son and his wife and explained our thinking. Like most children, he only wants us to be happy. He would never intend on moving into our house and doesn't need much of any of our stuff. So coming to our decision ended up being pretty easy.

We're not ready to become full-time road warriors yet, and will most likely just rent a very small place to home-base out of. The feeling of liberation from getting rid of everything and starting over is absolutely amazing. For the first time in a long time we're not tied to anything and able to pretty much do what we want! It's definitely not something I'd recommend people do, but if you have the chance, go for it!
Darren, Donna & The Wieners
Four Winds 31L
Thor Motor Coach
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #7

Enjoy the adventure !!!
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
That is just so cool!

Instead of limiting yourselves because it might be a little scary to do something different, you gathered the courage needed to enjoy your life to the fullest.

I tip my hat....(if I wore a hat....)
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
GEE-L-US !!!!!!!!!!

Can you guys come talk to my wife ?!?

took a trip to Charlotte and Charleston etc in May... and LOVED the 'low' country !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Wifey and I are having the same talks. You (general term) seem to work harder/longer hours to get more "stuff".. and pack it on. There's a point where you just have too much load to bare. There's just no reason for it. We've got about 4-5 years and we're done with it all. Probably end up like you.. small place to call "home base" and little jobs to keep the food on the table. Soooo envious!

Congrats and have fun. Say hello to these guys when you see them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006HRV_Kristin_Chenoweth_002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	102388  
2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
We too talk about doing this very same thing as you have done. For us it will be 2 or 3 more years and then we do it. Enjoy your freedom.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good for you both. Enjoy

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Have a great time.
2013 Duramax GMC 3500 4x4 Dually DIESEL 6.6L V8 TURBO
2014 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2014 Raptor 42ft Toy Hauler
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
You were in the right frame of mind about the 'stuff'. That's what keeps a lot of folks from seeking their dreams.

We also sold everything to go full-time. The kids didn't want any of it. They had their own 'stuff'. It was so liberating to just let it all go.

After 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly, we've now settled into a wonderful community where we would have never dreamed of living. Most homes in this very active, no maintenance, 55+ area sell completely furnished because when the people pass on or move to the next level of care their kids don't want to have anything to do with the 'stuff'. Our new 'stuff' is of a decor that matches the Southwest area. Had we kept our old furniture it would have looked totally out of place.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote