Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Sold our RV, now what?

We finally sold our rv but now we have some questions...

The buyer lives out of state. What is the best way to exchange the money cashiers check, cash? We know personal check isn't advisable... any tips on how to transfer the title - do we do that here in Oklahoma or does the buyer do that in the state that he lives in (Kansas).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advanced!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandmstepp View Post

The buyer lives out of state. What is the best way to exchange the money cashiers check, cash? We know personal check isn't advisable... any tips on how to transfer the title - do we do that here in Oklahoma or does the buyer do that in the state that he lives in (Kansas).

Thank you in advanced!

Are you delivering it? Is buyer picking it up?

I'm going to make the assumption that the buyer is picking it up. Have him or her send you a personal check for say 10% of the amount as a deposit. Don't cash it. When the buyer arrives, inspects the vehicle, is satisfied with it etc, you go to your bank and the buyer arranges a wire transfer to your bank. You verify receipt and hand him the signed title, along with his personal check for the deposit. If the buyer prefers, you can go to the Department of Motor Vehicles before you go to your bank where the DMV can verify the title is legitimate and that you are the rightful owners. You can even sign the title and do a bill of sale at your DMV. Don't give buyer the title until you verify the wire transfer.

Buyer takes signed title, vehicle, and bill of sale back to DMV in Kansas, gets vehicle inspected if necessary, and transfers title into his name.

Don't accept a Postal Money Order as they can be counterfeited.

I don't like cashiers checks because if a problem turns up after your bank turns it over to buyers bank, than YOU are on the hook for the amount, NOT the buyer . . . .

Wire transfer happens pretty much instantaneously, (may take a few minutes), money is in your account and you're done.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cashiers checks are being faked now, so I don't trust them. Does the buyer have a bank where the exchange can be done?

You sign and turn over the title. Buyer is responsible for registering in his state. There is likely a portion of the title or a form you use to advise your DMV you no longer have the vehicle.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

All banks talk to each other. The buyer just needs to have his bank routing number to transfer funds to yours. I just sold a car to a guy in Denmark. It was a smooth and easy transaction, just took a few extra days.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Wire transfers are the modern way to do funds transfers.

The buyer can go into his bank and sign funds authorizations. Then he can inspect and accept the RV--and then call his banker to tell him to process the funds transfer. The cost to him would be about $29.

When the $ arrives at your bank, you give him the keys.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandmstepp View Post

Thank you in advanced!

The ONLY safe way, in my opinion, to get paid is a direct transfer of funds between his bank and yours! Cashiers checks are NOT safe!

When your bank says the money is in your account, THEN sign the title over to him, NOT BEFORE!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

The best and safest way is to use an escrow company. After all we would not consider selling a house without using an escrow company. Far as I know they will do high value vehicles.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

I also would use a Disclaimer that protects you from any recourse from the buyer. Simple Disclaimer states that you provide no warranty either expressed or implied and that the buyer except all responsibility to insure, register and record the title transfer. As well as any State Tax's.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #9

When I purchased mine last year the seller said no deal without an escrow through a law firm. They wrote a contract with all details of the trade. I think they charged $300 which we split. If I remember they had an increase every $15000 dollars.. When lawyers escrow had funds and signed contract the motorhome changed hands. Then I got the paperwork 2 days later certified mail. If something goes wrong the lawyer can be in big trouble. Also you can put a clause that if you are out of state when you look at it if it's not exactly what was said the contract is void and lawyer will not release funds to buyer. Of course the lawyer gets paid. Worked great for me.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cashier's check can bounce.

Owned a computer store and saw one bounce for $10,000.

It was drawn on a line of credit from a bank in another state and the guy wrote cashier's checks on several lines of credit in various states all at the same time.

Wire transfer is the only way I will do business long distance.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #11

Yep, cash or bank wire transfer to seller's account.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #12

After the sale is complete call and have it removed from your personal property tax assessment also, they won't do that automatically. (Well except I don't think y'all do that in Oklahoma lol)
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #13

Make an appointment for the bank followed by dmv.

Assuming title is clear then after money confirmed in your hands stop at dmv to clear off the title.

Some states have simple release of liability and your name stays on title until they title it but the release is official notice that you sold it.

By going directly to dmv yiu can insure any and all paperwork needed is completed and it buyer in same state then they can register it or is out of state buyer can get whatever paperwork needed to assist later.

Both you and buyer need to go.

Do NOT let it leave your driveway until that happens!

We purchased from salvation army vehicles and they will not let vehicle move until you have the title so it is common practice.