Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
I agree with doing your own thing. Slow down, ease over, and stay inline. You will get there in one piece. Life is too short to get tangled up with a "Nut". Drive in South Florida is to see lots of these types: Young and Old.

JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #44
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
A few states have passed talking on or texting on cell phones NY being first I believe. No surprise for the land of too much tax and laws but this one is a good idea. At least there would have been a legit reason to pull over that jerk.

One thing that baffles me about people like that is why is your high end car not in cruise control? I don't like driving on the highway without it. Keeps your speed constant, legal (if you want) and one less thing to think about.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #45
We had a weird incident recently when driving on a limited access road in Iowa in the slow lane. I was on cruise control at 60 as it was relatively flat. A semi truck merged onto the road from an acceleration lane into the slow lane. I had to move to the fast lane to avoid hitting him and still maintain my cruise control. I passed him in the fast lane and cut back into the slow lane about 40 yards in front of him still never having gotten off cruise control. Several minutes latter he passed me in the fast lane blowing his horn and giving me the finger. Still not sure what he thought I had done wrong. I gave him the finger back and laughed at him which upon reflection was stupid.
I have a 33 ft motor home with an 8.1 l engine. When I floor it at 60 mph, the engine noise changes, but the speed doesn't change much.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #46
You did the right thing. Defuse the situation, stop, take a break, enjoy the sights, have some cheese and crackers, and remember, your having a great time in your lovely RV. The poor dumb Ahole is stuck on his cell phone working on an ulcer.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #47
Let the crazies get ahead of you. Watch the officers give tickets for their speed, weave, and following too close. I see it happen now and then, and I laugh all the way past them. They have to feel the red light in their pocketbooks and insurance costs when insurance costs already are pounding on their heads.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #48
Ive had incounters with different type hostile drivers.
On the driver that wants to get in front and slow down,I stay 30 or so feet behind him( so he doesnt slam on his brakes and I end up hitting him) no matter how slow he/she goes,they finally give up and speed off.
This has the best outcome compared to other alternatives I used.
One guy slowed to about 5 mph,stopped and got out of his car in the street. As i drove around him he threw a cup of something into my windshield.
he then caught up with me and forced me off the road to a stop. When i stopped he whipped a uturn and headed back. I had a dbl barrel next to me w/000 buckshot.Glad he didnt stick around and force me to use it.
i could have tried to chase him down,but then I would appear the aggressor( no witnesses at that point) and I was just relieved it was over cause i really thought I was going to have to kill em!
Can you imagine the trouble my family and I would go through the next two or more years in the courts if id shot, or better yet, killed him ...even if it was self defense.

And then what if his friends or family decided to come after me or my family. They would pick the time and place.
Thats a little more stress than i want to experience and NOTHING would be worth that.

Even though one really wants to dish it out to the idiots,it can easily backfire on you when the continue to take it up a notch.
Theres ALWAYS" someone" badder" than you or I out there and they WONT think twice about killing you or who youre with.

have the sense to
diffuse the situation so you can live to RV another day.

Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Good Morning All,

Just had to get this off my chest... We recently attended a rally about 4 hours from home and on the way there, a high end Volvo driven by a middle aged man kept harrasing us. He was talking incessantly on his cell phone and as a result, his speed kept fluctuating. After a few minutes of being behind him, hubby decided to pass. When he saw us pulling along side of him, he sped up. OK...we now think that he has realized the error of his ways and he has decided to maintain a normal speed. He pulls away in front of us so we back off and pull back into the right hand lane. When we settle into our lane, we notice that he is once again directly in front of us and slowing down. To make a long story short...we attempted to pass him again and again and each time he sped up, making it impossible to pass him and then forcing us to slow down when he decelerates directly in front of us. One of the times, he actually looked up at us as we tried to pass and gave us the finger. To avoid a melt-down, we pulled into a rest area to allow him to go his merry way.

I know that many drivers prefer not to be behind a huge behemoth like us, even dangerously merging in front of us as they enter the highway to avoid being behind us, but I have never seen someone be as doggedly aggressive in his harrasment before. Is it envy of the big rig, road rage, or just plain stupidity??? And how do you all deal with this?

Frustrated in Massachusetts

PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #49
I had (correct tense) a friend who went berserk every time he got behind an RV. He wanted to pass immediately and felt that all RVs should be taken off the road. He's an Eco-Nazi who thinks we RVers are burning up the nation's oil supply on frivolous, unnecessary traveling in our fuel-guzzlers. He is proud of his super-high mpg economy car. Note that he drives to his vacation home 4 1/2 hours each way a couple times per month. His wife also drives her car so they can have two cars at the vacation home. I believe they burn more gas in a year by a factor of 10 than I would driving my M/H on vacation.
What hypocrites!
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #50
Winnebago Owners Club
When you seriously start looking for houses with RV parking.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #51
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I always prefer to have the maniacs in front of me- I can't pull over fast enough to let 'em on by.
My favorite thing to see in a situation like that is their taillights going over the horizon.
I once had the satisfaction of seeing my former tailgater/speed demon pulled over by a State Trooper about five miles down the road.
I hope you remembered to slow down, honk the horn, smile really big , and wave to him as you passed
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #52
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
I hope you remembered to slow down, honk the horn, smile really big , and wave to him as you passed
As a matter of fact...
After Mr. Loonie Tunes whizzed by me, he went screamin' around a whole group of Harleybikers, too.
When they passed his ol' busted self,
they gave him a really impressive Synchronized Salute if you know what I mean.
I couldn't have improved on that!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #53
Winnebago Owners Club
it pays to have a cool head.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #54
Order a cell phpne jammer from deals supreme. Best $118 you'll ever spend. Ileagle maybe, fun Hell yes.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #55
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Originally Posted by hauls View Post
well i drive 55 mph so i don't have that problem most of those people pass me because i'm going to slow?

39' newmar kountry star dp
towing toyota on a dolly
dan & jan
I find this helps as well, though, I still get the occasional special snowflake or two.
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #56
Another meaning of RV - relaxing vacation. Trying to outguess a 'wired' driver is futile. Just take this as a sign that you need to slow down, even though it isn't your fault or choice. Happy travels. kaykaydee

kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote