Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #57

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Being a retired semi driver for over 25 yrs with many miles under my belt, I have experance just about everything, like most pro's its an everyday thing, best is to not say or show any signs and let them go, if you pull in a rest area be sure to pull in where others are parked , don't park away from others incase they come back, most people won't get invold if a fist fight should happen, but then don't step out of the door get there plate number, make & color of the auto and call 911, be sure you know where you are at like the rest area location or mile marker, today for some unknown reason the younger generation thinks life is not a big deal and rather do harm then talk about it, of course if they ask you to stop outside I wouldn't do that either. Don't be a hero and think you can take this person down, hes holding a chip and is all pumped up, perhaps his youth , will get the best of you. if he don't come back its time to eat a little snack, streacth them legs, besides the Doctors tells us ( pro drivers) to get out and walk at the rest area at differnt speeds of walking to get the heart pumping ( it probaly is already) and blood flowing through the legs.& swing them arms too
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Order a cell phpne jammer from deals supreme. Best $118 you'll ever spend. Ileagle maybe, fun Hell yes.
Super great idea; I'm looking for prices right now; can't wait to get one. like to get a portable with the most range. any ideas?
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
One of My pet peeves is merging traffic. If I am in my car and merging with traffic I will adjust my speed to seamlesly merge with existing traffic. Whe I am in the Motorhome, I normally am using the cruise control when on the limited access highways (Interstates,, etc). It sorta cheeses me off when a stupid driver is comming on the Interstate rather slowly and expects me to jam on the brakes in my 10+ ton vehicle to allow his/her 1-2 ton car/truck to get on the Interstate. I have had some drivers salute me as they eventually passed me to let me know how much they appreciated the lesson in merging on a limited access highway. I am tempted to use the airhorns but the DW has discouraged me.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #60

I use the horns if they are not paying attention like on cell phone, putting on eye makeup or the like. Doesn't help me, but maybe will help the next guy.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I find that I do well when traveling if I am not the slowest thing on the road or the fastest. I travel at about 62 MPH and this speed seems to work well on Interstate highways. It also buys you better economy than going the speed limit. Even in 70 MPH speed limits, I find that 62 still works well.

You will often see 18 wheel trucks locked in at 60 MPH because they are being tracked by the head office via transponder.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #62

When I was teaching my boys to drive I drilled two things in their heads.

That road used to get on the freeway is called an "acceleration lane". You use it to get to traffic speed and pick a spot to merge.

The road used to get off the freeway is called a "deceleration lane". You exit the freeway and slow down. Not the other way around.

Amazes me how many people get on the freeway at 40mph and don't even look until they have nearly run someone off the road.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #63

Lots of trucking companies have governors set at 60 or 62 for fuel consumption reasons.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #64

IIRC, in most states traffic ON the highway MUST YIELD to merging traffic. The reason is - their lane is ending!

Unfortunately, CA is not one of these states. I've found it pretty frustrating at times to merge onto some LA area superslab in the HM towing a trailer and have nobody give me the slightest help in merging.

I can't believe folks think that just because they are already on the highway and up to speed that it's OK to create a situation where someone might have to jam on their brakes in the acceleration lane, and then have to get on a busy freeway from a dead stop - an even more dangerous situation.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #65
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
IIRC, in most states traffic ON the highway MUST YIELD to merging traffic. The reason is - their lane is ending!
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #66

Never heard of that. Their lane ends only because they didn't merge as instructed. Frequently, I can not move over to the left as the lane is full. I can not speed up much. Only options are to slam on brakes. I consider it their responsibility to merge with traffic already on the expressway.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #67

As a member of law enforcement, I'm glad to hear you pulled into a rest area. Wish that there were more level headed drivers like you on the road! That being said, the next time a driver displays that type of inappropriate behavior, take note of his/her license #, the mile marker, and call 911.
SuzannaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #68

We drive 55... nobody goes that slow but us. And we so rarely get on interstates that it is basically a non-issue for us. We much prefer the scenic routes. Ahh, the joys a small rig brings.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #69

This has been one of the most common problems i run across. Ive been told its plain rude of me to not yield to the merger.
Actually if youre going to play the "rude' game,then its rude of the merger to expect anyone to yield for him/her. After all the law is for the merger to yield to traffic.
I ll bet they even answer the question correctly in the drivers test ,but forget it when on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
One of My pet peeves is merging traffic. If I am in my car and merging with traffic I will adjust my speed to seamlesly merge with existing traffic. Whe I am in the Motorhome, I normally am using the cruise control when on the limited access highways (Interstates,, etc). It sorta cheeses me off when a stupid driver is comming on the Interstate rather slowly and expects me to jam on the brakes in my 10+ ton vehicle to allow his/her 1-2 ton car/truck to get on the Interstate. I have had some drivers salute me as they eventually passed me to let me know how much they appreciated the lesson in merging on a limited access highway. I am tempted to use the airhorns but the DW has discouraged me.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #70

Horns can be very effective in getting their attention back onto the road.