Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Horns can be very effective in getting their attention back onto the road.
I try not to use that because, many people carry guns, and that might be just enough to set that person off and that could ruin you're day, it's just not worth getting excited over. [moderator edit]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #72

It doesn't matter what you do there are psycho drivers everywhere. I pulled into a freeway a few years ago coming home from Disney with my daughter sleeping in the back of the car in her car seat. A guy pulled up next to me and started hassling me. WHAT??? What did I do????
You know the same thing, sped up, slow down etc. I couldn't shake him no matter what I did.
II picked up the phone to call the CHP. He then pulled a gun out and aimed it at me as I was on the phone.

This was great when I told the CHP operator the operator said " how do you know it's a gun?"

I pulled into the car pool lane as I had two people and it went in a direction away from this nut.

Then it became like a horror movie. I looked in the mirror and saw the nut case right on my bumper. He had crossed the car pool lanes by running over the plastic barriers to come after me.

I was still on the phone to the not so helpful CHP operator. Her advice - don't follow him. Ahhhhh OK I'll do that that for the great advice.

A few miles down the road they pulled him over. Later the CHP called me at home and said he tossed the gun but another driver saw him toss it and they retrieved it.

Now a days you never know.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #73
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Horns can be very effective in getting their attention back onto the road.
Especially air horns from a short distance away.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want to see why so many drivers seem to hate Motorhomes, just look at the thread "Do you have a self imposed speed limit?
It is pretty much self explanitory. There are a great many that express that they drive at 63 on the interstates because they feel it is more comfortable and safer that 65. That is just one example. If you drive the speed limit I am sure you have seen many many examples of this type of thinking. I don't have a problem with this only don't be surprised when people flip you off just because it's a Motorhome. It's just not you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #75

Gas mileage drops off drastically above 55 or so. I have read 20% between 55 and 70 mph. We have the aerodynamics of a barn shed. When a fill up cost $250 you keep this in consideration. That's $50 a tank. A lot of trucking companies are putting governors on their trucks in the 60 to 62 range.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #76

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It doesn't matter. Rude obnoxious people [moderator edit] no matter what you drive. I am in my 2011 Mini Cooper turbo S at 81 MPH crossing the NC border on I 95 S (speed limit 70) When a mini van [moderator edit] giving my the... the international sign for.... well you know. I pass the semi truck I am beside and pull over to let him pass, he flips me off with his passenger lady reading a book and the kids in the back watching a movie. [moderator edit]

Of course DW says, "what did you do to make him mad"
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
It doesn't matter. no matter what you drive. I am in my 2011 Mini Cooper turbo S at 81 MPH crossing the NC border on I 95 S (speed limit 70) When a mini giving my the... the international sign for.... well you know. I pass the semi truck I am beside and pull over to let him pass, he flips me off with his passenger lady reading a book and the kids in the back watching a movie.

Of course DW says, "what did you do to make him mad"

Do you realize that every driver out there is driving at the PERFECT speed .
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
If you want to see why so many drivers seem to hate Motorhomes, just look at the thread "Do you have a self imposed speed limit?
It is pretty much self explanitory. There are a great many that express that they drive at 63 on the interstates because they feel it is more comfortable and safer that 65. That is just one example. If you drive the speed limit I am sure you have seen many many examples of this type of thinking. I don't have a problem with this only don't be surprised when people flip you off just because it's a Motorhome. It's just not you.
I'm not realy that bright; so would you explan your post.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #79

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drive to maintain a safe stopping distance you know these things won't stop on a dime.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadTrip View Post
We drive 55... nobody goes that slow but us. And we so rarely get on interstates that it is basically a non-issue for us. We much prefer the scenic routes. Ahh, the joys a small rig brings.

Oh I do 50 to 55
senic route relaxing? have you tried hwy 1 along the coast? Everyone expects you to pull over all the time and when theres only width and length room for a car. .Come around a curve and no time to slowdown much less fit your rv in it.
My remedy is to drive slow enough to be able to pull over easily ALL THE TIME and at a moments notice,like around bends, without the stress etc. It does work .
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I always thought the speed limit was the maximum speed you can go, not the minimum. I drive at 55 and seldom hit the left lanes on Interstates. It's too hard to worry about anything except the nut behind the wheel in the vehicle you're in and the nuts in the vehicles close by on the highway you are on.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
This has been one of the most common problems i run across. Ive been told its plain rude of me to not yield to the merger.
Actually if youre going to play the "rude' game,then its rude of the merger to expect anyone to yield for him/her. After all the law is for the merger to yield to traffic.
I ll bet they even answer the question correctly in the drivers test ,but forget it when on the road.
Every on ramp that I've seen has a triangle sign on the on ramp: -------yield; but then again, who reads highway signs?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Oh I do 50 to 55
senic route relaxing? have you tried hwy 1 along the coast? Everyone expects you to pull over all the time and when theres only width and length room for a car. .Come around a curve and no time to slowdown much less fit your rv in it.
My remedy is to drive slow enough to be able to pull over easily ALL THE TIME and at a moments notice,like around bends, without the stress etc. It does work .
I did hwy 1 both north and south from around Hearst Castle to Crescent City and back again. That was some beautiful scenery. What was really fun going north and around some of those tight bends, the ones that you can read your rear licence plate going around the curve, was to see an oncoming EL MONTE RENTS motorhome coming at you, over the white line and watching the Ocean. Although, I think the one that takes the prize is 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City. That is a narrow two lane , lots of tight bends, with Logging Trucks. Very good pucker factor !!
I have been over the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and I thought that was a piece of cake compared to Hwy 1.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Just relax and enjoy the entertainment value in watching them drive. Remember the cleansing of the gene pool will catch up with then eventually. If it gets too bad pull off and have a cup of coffee and or walk the dog. Life is too short to let stupid people frustrate you.
Agree about life being too short to let people frustrate you. You have your circle of care and the majority of people are outside it. Case in point the Volvo guy.

Have a great day!