Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Some more thoughts on security, where to stay.

It occurs to me that a lot of thought goes into where it's safe to stay and what to do to stay safe. I think motorhomes anywhere are going to be safer than about anywhere else. I don't think we have to worry that much.

If I'm a badguy, and roaming around a rest area looking for mischief and I see a MH, I'm going to notice several things. One, I don't know how many people are in there. Two, I don't know where they are. Three, I don't know how well armed they are. Four, I don't know what communications they have. Five, I don't know what alarms they have. Six, THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LET ME IN. They can simply refuse to let me in and I'm stymied.

I'm going to compare that with a car in which I see someone sleeping. A known quantity.

I think we in RVs worry too much. We know our weaknesses, but the badguy doesn't. And he has to assume the worst. We're pretty safe, really. I cannot remember reading of anyone attacking a MH, though I can remember reading of a couple of them being hijacked. But not as many as cars.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I believe your thinking is right on the mark. It would be incredibly hard for someone to force their way into even an unarmed MH without being allowed in by the occupants.

I've said it before but it bears repeating. Any bad guy who thinks that mature people traveling in an RV are easy marks hasn't done his homework and is very likely to pop up on the annual Darwin list.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The one advantage of being in a motorhome is you can start it up and drive away without having to get out.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I cannot remember reading of anyone attacking a MH, though I can remember reading of a couple of them being hijacked. But not as many as cars.
There was one in a Wal*Mart parking lot. The perp didn't live through it as the owner had a 12 Ga.
I had a couple Spanish speaking "gentlemen" think I looked like easy pickings. One tried the door, and finding it locked knocked and tried to get me to open the door. About that time I noticed the second one in their pickup (parked blocking me in, they thought). The one was rumaging under the seat for something. At that point I showed him that he might not want to try coming in. They left hurriedly, had they not I was going to show them that their pickup was no match for high torque, low rpm diesels! Yep, it would have damaged my rig but at that point I wasn't worried about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In general the hypothesis is correct; a locked MH/RV provides a measure of security.

The difficulty comes because a lot of bad guys are just opportunist, many cannot count to six, let alone think of six things in chronological order. If they were good at weighing consequences or even worrying about such they would probably be good guys.

Nothing however beats just plain diligence and awareness on our part, to avoid trouble or spot potential trouble and avoid it as well. Your risk factor goes up when you stay at a
rest stop, or a parking lot, or boondock alone etc; but all in all it is generally true (with unfortunate exceptions as with any rule) that MH camping can be made secure.

But to a determined and practiced bad person a MH is not an impregnable fortress. Entry can be gained in a short period of time. So we counter all that with our own common sense and prepartation, hopefully.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There was one in a Wal*Mart parking lot. The perp didn't live through it as the owner had a 12 Ga.
I had a couple Spanish speaking "gentlemen" think I looked like easy pickings. One tried the door, and finding it locked knocked and tried to get me to open the door. About that time I noticed the second one in their pickup (parked blocking me in, they thought). The one was rumaging under the seat for something. At that point I showed him that he might not want to try coming in. They left hurriedly, had they not I was going to show them that their pickup was no match for high torque, low rpm diesels! Yep, it would have damaged my rig but at that point I wasn't worried about it.
Put this in your hard to believe chest:
I once had a motorscooter pull in front of me to try to block me in: He got off the scooter and began hammering on the door on my motorhome and yelling at me to open the door; I yelled back that I would give him 10 seconds to move his scooter or I would run over it; he wisely got on the scooter and rode off.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
a barking dog no matter its size is a great alarm and deterrent. Very few potential intruders will risk a bite or worse after the element of surprise has been lost.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
It occurs to me that a lot of thought goes into where it's safe to stay and what to do to stay safe. I think motorhomes anywhere are going to be safer than about anywhere else. I don't think we have to worry that much.

If I'm a badguy, and roaming around a rest area looking for mischief and I see a MH, I'm going to notice several things. One, I don't know how many people are in there. Two, I don't know where they are. Three, I don't know how well armed they are. Four, I don't know what communications they have. Five, I don't know what alarms they have. Six, THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LET ME IN. They can simply refuse to let me in and I'm stymied.

I'm going to compare that with a car in which I see someone sleeping. A known quantity.

I think we in RVs worry too much. We know our weaknesses, but the badguy doesn't. And he has to assume the worst. We're pretty safe, really. I cannot remember reading of anyone attacking a MH, though I can remember reading of a couple of them being hijacked. But not as many as cars.
The ONLY problem with your theory, is that it presupposes that the bad guy has a brain/mind in which to produce cognitive thought and reason...in my experience, criminals are not big on thinking...JMO.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree that we as a group tend to worry too much, however the occasional meth head who really doesn't care about anything is the one you need to watch out for.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
I agree that we as a group tend to worry too much, however the occasional meth head who really doesn't care about anything is the one you need to watch out for.
I am working on the beta version of Probability of Encounter with Meth Head app right now. I gave up on my Probability of Running Into Armed RV Enthusiast app when it returned 87.5% regardless of location entered.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #11

1 additional alert type weapon is your airhorn, if equipped. If you think its loud when your running 60, try it at 3am!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
1 additional alert type weapon is your airhorn, if equipped. If you think its loud when your running 60, try it at 3am!

Excellent idea! I gotta keep that in mind, even though I hope I never have to try it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Hmmmm
Better wire another button in the bedroom
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #14

I was working 2nd shift when I installed a set on a friends rig.
So about 3:15am or so, the compressor was ready to run, the switches were all wired up, and I honestly could not resist!

After the cops left......

If the horns say 100 db during normal hours its about 1000db at 3am