Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
O.K. I give.

Here's what the inside of your Moho should look like when The Bad Guys look in the window:

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #30

In the older days,, kids were taught to "respect" things and people... Not so much anymore...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsha View Post
A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
IMHO, probably one of the better common sense responses, be aware of your circumstances and if in doubt, Don't.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't forget, locks only keep the honest people out. All one needs for any compartment door or entrance door is a screw driver or similar tool. I really don't give it much thought unless when I pull in I see surrounding that bristle my hair a little. Then I'm not as worried when I'm in the MH, as when e might go out to the store and no one is there. Best part about the latter is that no life taking is involved. Of course, Miya the 75 pound Husky is there, probably. She does not like grocery shopping, just sniffing the bags when we return.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
The MH air horn is a good attention getter, remember the toad key has a panic button to sound that horn. Get the interest of neighbors or get the bad guy to divert his attention just long enough......
(Works inside the sticks&bricks too.)

BTW for those that think entry into MH is that difficult, you may remember this post of a break-in... Went through the motorhome while occupants were asleep. (My dog would have noticed)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/thief...ept-63039.html
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We almost never stay in a campground. Preference is boondocking along a river, out in the woods, maybe Wal-Mart. We are almost always alone. With each of the five Class A's we have owned, I've learned it can be difficult to see outside, especially at night. Plus, there are lots of blind spots and you can't see behind you without getting the key and turning on the rear camera, which can be a pain. In the last two, we have the day/night shades, which I always thought were cool until I actually had them. You can't peak out the window like you can with mini-blinds.

When we overnight I almost always level the MH, which automatically dumps the air. I don't know if there is sufficient reserve to power the air horn, but have thought of using that if needed. We are armed.

I agree that any potential intruder would not know what they are up against since they can't see inside. We don't leave anything outside to aid anyone in gaining height and the step is always retracted. We do close all shades and lock all windows, except maybe right next to the bed. I don't believe it is all that easy to get into a MH without making a lot of noise.

Lately, I have given more thought to security in these instances. I believe that someone wanting in would have to get me to open the door. What this could involve is intentionally making noise, doing damage to the exterior, letting air out of the tires, etc. Many of the places we may stay might not have cell phone towers. I'm either going to have to go outside to stop the bad guy(s) or let the carnage continue.

I still have not come up with a solution to this possible scenario. I won't let it stop us from continuing to enjoy our MH as we see fit, but it does trouble me when I stop to think about it, which isn't often. If it ever comes up, I'll try to let you know how I handled it (or didn't).
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #35

Well I try to have my sling shot loaded at all times, baseball bat, some rocks, maybe a airhorn some bear spray (cant have pepper) I do have a few cans of wasp/hornet spray, what can I say Im canadian I cant carry anything else in mh

what are other canadians useing?

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
what are other canadians useing?

gbstewart
My guess is other Canadians have the same protections you do, mainly the fact that nobody else is armed, either!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
My guess is other Canadians have the same protections you do, mainly the fact that nobody else is armed, either!

I don't know if this was tongue-in-cheek, if not it's a mistaken notion. Google Canada gun violence, you might be surprised.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Pnr

Quote:

Nobody else is armed ??? i bet the bad guys are.
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
Pnr

The Nogunners crack me up ! If something bad happens the first thing they do is call somebody with a gun to hurry come protect them.

That's ok except when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

They outta put a sign in their yard and on their vehicles, that says :

OWNER OPPOSES GUN OWNERSHIP, NO GUNS ON PREMISES !
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
1 additional alert type weapon is your airhorn, if equipped. If you think its loud when your running 60, try it at 3am!
One of our cats stepped on the steering wheel about 2:00 am one night! I built a cover for the wheel right after that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
One of our cats stepped on the steering wheel about 2:00 am one night! I built a cover for the wheel right after that.
My nephew did it around midnight, neighbors not happy at all. Don't blame them either as I was none to happy either.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #42

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I would doubt that all the criminals committing crimes in Canada will not use a gun because it is illegal to own one.