Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Some Questions about Domicile and VEH Reg


I currently live in California, and planning to retire within the next year or so, however, I want to get some things straight and cleared up. So I am looking at buying a 40FT+ motorhome, which, If I registered in California, would have to get a Class B non commercial license, which from some reading and research seems like a huge pain. My idea, I doubt is possible however, is I was planning to Full-time RV and drive around the country for four years. In this time, I would like to register my RV in Florida, while still keeping my house in California, bypassing the Class B License pain and paying less sales tax for the RV. (If this helps: I was also planning to fly to Florida and buy it there.) First off, would this even be possible? If the answer is yes, how would it be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 982
Can you do this. Of course you can do anything you want. The key is completely changing your domicile. And of course never taking that RV into California useless you completely cut your ties. Are you going to rent out your current property while you are gone???

There are many many things involved in this type situation. Lots of reading out there. Many people over at the Escapees forum have experience with California situation

Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Hello Nana25k,

Thanks for the response! I will probably not rent it out, I might lend it to my kids however if they want too, if not that, then it would just sit. You said something about never taking it back into California, if I do it, I would fly to FL to buy it, I would buy it there and then register is there while still there. Then I would like to take it back to California to pack some things and maybe drive along the coast. Is it still possible? Or do I just have to go through the trouble of getting a class B?

Thanks Again!
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 6,340
If your domicile is still in California and you're not changing EVERYTHING over to Florida, it would be very risky. You need to break all ties with California - driver's license, registrations, voting, permanent address change, etc.
Full-timed for 16 Years . . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3

Alright, thanks for all the replies.

Now I know the process for getting a class B license. Do you know of any driving schools that include a Class B license holder to come with you to get your drivers test done?

Thanks Again.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
Bob&AnnaMari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947

Your questions clearly indicates that you have not really done much research on this topic either with searches on these forums or using Google. There are tons of discussions regarding out of state registrations, various registrations schemes and issues related with all of them.

You seem far more concerned about passing the CA Class B license than you do about the complications of buying an RV in Florida getting a FL license and driving around CA with the FL license.

As someone else suggested, check out the Escapee Club. You can establish a Texas residency, get your rig legally licensed in TX, get your insurance for TX and do your full-timing with no problems. You can legally use your RV briefly in CA with the TX license. But, if you plan to spend extended times in CA with your RV and you have a residence here you will risk serious consequences if you do not register your RV here and pay the sales tax associated with your purchase.

Just some things you really need to research and consider. You are asking a very simple question to a very serious and substantial situation.

2003 Beaver Patriot
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 251
If you should decide to domicile in Texas, and your RV weighs over 26,000 lbs, you will need a Class B non-commercial drivers license issued by Texas. Sounds to me like you just need to get your California Class B license and avoid potential domicile problems.
2011 Monaco Knight 36', MaxForce 10, 350HP, 1150 lbs. Torque.
2008 Saturn Vue Toad, SMI Duo Brake, Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
San Antonio, TX Home Port
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
F4Gary's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 1,177
Cut ties with California. No state income tax in Fla or Tejas. "Rent" your house out to your kids so it is not your domicile. California will try to come after your retirement income for taxes no matter where you live. Establish a residency somewhere else before you retire.
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
Jim28730's Avatar

Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maggie Valley, NC
Posts: 861
If you completely change your domicile, address, drivers license, voters registration, insurance, it's perfectly legal to maintain a second home in CA. The trick is to not spend more than 180 days a year in CA.
Jim & Sandy
2016 Newmar Ventana 4037
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
336muffin's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,569
California Dreaming, you have a lot of good advice already from previous posts. Let me cut to the chase.......what you are wanting to do is save a few bucks. But California will look at this as Tax Evasion if not done exactly right. They frown on this seriously! There are a LOTof variables that will be exclusive to your situation.
When we went fulltime...we went fulltime! We sold our house and all land with nothing in storage. Moved our domicile state with many phone calls and a ton of research that pretained to our situation. It even came down to county rules in our new state of choice. You must consider insurance for mh, car, health insurance, jury duty, vehicle inspections, filing taxes in Fl, and the list grows as you start "moving to a new state" What we're saying is it can be done if it is done correctly. There is NO easy way to do it. The previous owner of our coach was caught in SC with out of state tags with a serious fine, his attorney told him to pay the fine and get legal before they went back 5 years for back taxes on the coach. Good luck and do good research that pertains to your situation.

American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.