Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
Some questions about RV

Hi, actually I'm not a RVer yet.
But I'm interested in RV life and if I visit my cousin's home a year later someday,
maybe we'll enjoy our holidays with RV and now we are searching info about RV.
so I wanna ask you guys something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431869033.316071.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	94488

Is RV driver's seat comfortable? (1st question)
When I saw the picture of RV driver's seat, I thought the seat looks comfortable at the first time because of cushioning but when I saw it again, it looks uncomfortable...!
Once the driver starts RV driving, it takes more than 5 hours at least until it stopped.
Is it possible to lean back seat when the driver feels tired?

and Why is the distance between the driver and dashboard so far...? (2nd question)
I thought the driver must have good vision......

and the case of family, who does drive RV more often? (3rd)

This is last question.
Why is the driver's seat made of leather...? Is there a seat made by fabric...?
It looks like the RV has large front window so the leather seat is faced with strong sun light, isn't it? If there are some issues about leather seat or another problems, tell me that...!

P.S what is the most inconvenient thing when you drive RV?
I already know RV's advantage so I wonder about the problems you think....(ex.ugly interior)
Sorry for many questions and my bad English....! But I'll appreciate your opinions!

jaekyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
The seat in my RV is clothe , & I find it comfortable . We always stop every 2.5 to 3 hrs for a break. All of my dash controls are easily within reach. I've never had an issue with to much sun coming in, but do enjoy the view out the large window

stepside454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Welcome to iRV2!

RV means Recreational Vehicle and within that there are many many types of RVs. The one in your pictures looks to be a "Class A" which does have the large front window. One sits higher in it than some of the other motorized RVs. The seats vary with the quality of the coach. Some are luxurious and others are not. The covers can vary from real leather, to a faux leather to cloth.

Most front seats can move much closer to the dash and this pic may be of it in it's farthest back position. Many of the seats swivel so that they can be used as a part of the living area which is another reason that they can move so far back from the dash.

My husband does the driving although I would not be afraid or uncomfortable driving. In fact I am campaigning to get behind the wheel and feel that the "non-driver" should be able to take over some of the driving in case of an emergency. There are plenty of women that are the primary drivers.

I imagine you are thinking of renting an RV for your USA travels. If I'm not mistaken, the vast majority of rented units are "Class C's" which are build on a truck or van frame and have 2 front doors (driver & passenger) and one large door into the coach part. They may be more family friendly than the Class A's.

Good luck with your research!
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like any vehicle seat (or even living room chair), what one person finds comfortable, another may find awkward. Difference in driver size/weight, difference in driving position, and actual differences in seat quality. Higher end RVs have better made sets, yet may still be uncomfortable to certain drivers.

Mine is very comfortable and adjustable for back tilt, lumbar support, height and distance from the dash, etc. But I'm an average sized go, so fit the 80-90th percentile in furniture design. Smaller people seem to have the most issues with RV seats, especially in lower-priced models that have limited adjustments.

Leatherette or real leather is just popular styling. Again, the better grades of material don't sweat like the low grade cheap vinyls. Class C's (built on a van body) often have cloth seats, but Class A's nearly always have leatherette or even real leather in top models.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Our front seats are very comfortable and adjustable just like a car. The seat looks like leather but is a synthetic type material that has held up really well.

The steering wheel also tilts/extends and the fuel/brake pedal is adjustable so you can set it up anyway you want. I usually position it so that I can rest my arms on the arm rest and have my hands on the wheel. Steering wheel has cruise, light, and wiper function built in so I don't have to reach for much. My Pac Brake button is on my left side console so I just put my hand down and flip it, the location is easy to find, don't even have to look at it. I even have a remote for the radio.

I've driven +10 hours straight, not get up or out of the RV and it doesn't tire me out at all.

When we are together I do 95% of the driving but my wife has gone on 1500 mile trips by herself so I know she can drive it but would rather sit there and tell me how to drive.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have a Class A and the seat is very comfortable. It does recline and it swivels so that we may use is for extra seating. I'm only 5'2, and I have no issues with the dash. I don't quite understand what you meant by having to drive 5 hours before stopping?? We stop often to walk around, take the dog out, fix our lunch, etc. If the driver is tired, you can always pull into a rest area and take a nap on the bed or couch.
My husband does the majority of the driving, but I am learning to drive and find I enjoy it. Not crazy about the narrow 2 lane roads, but I can do it, just slower than the DH.
Our seats are leather, but I don't see why you couldn't get a seat cover of some kind to go over it if you wanted cloth.
I guess the most inconvenient thing with the larger RV, is driving on narrow roads and finding a gas station that we can get into and out easily, but it's not a major deal.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Thankyou all the people !

Thankyou, all the people !!!
You give me a lot of new information

jaekyoung is offline   Reply With Quote