RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Someone talk me out or into this....

My current MH is less than a year old and is very comfortable and nicely equipped. The only down issue is towing. I must either tow my bike or tow the car. If the weather is nasty and I only have the bike, I'm trapped. If I have the car and the weather is within my comfort range (25-90 degrees) with no rain or snow, I want the bike.

So, I am seriously considering a Thor Outlaw Class A toy hauler. The desired floor plan is the 38MB, but it is too new a model to find any gently used ones. Second choice is a 37LS, but that floor plan has a couple of quirks that I'm not real fond of and they discontinued this one so all the used ones tend to be getting to be a little older than I would prefer.

New.....take a beating on all the upgrades and mods I put into the current coach....hold my nose and write the check?

Used....take a beating on all the upgrades and mods I put into the current coach.....learn to live with the older floor plan and write a smaller check?

Do nothing?

I really am serious that I want some different viewpoints than my own. I am solo, so no DW that needs to be convinced or to bounce it off of.

RI Expat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

What about ditching the car for a small pickup that the bike could ride in?? Just throwing out options

waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
What about ditching the car for a small pickup that the bike could ride in?? Just throwing out options
I agree with getting a pickup unless you have unlimited funds to trade in a less than a year old RV for another. Or can you add a bike carrier to the RV or car?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

I vote for a car tow dolly with a section up front for the bike to ride.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

A tandem tow dolly would probably be much cheaper? https://tandem-tow.com/

They sometimes come up on craigslist at a much cheaper cost than new.

I owned one for a month (built by a gentleman that didn't need it anymore). I'd still have it if he would have put brakes on the axle. I thought it was too heavy for my RV and additionally my Mini would have had issues getting onto the dolly.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
My current MH is less than a year old and is very comfortable and nicely equipped.
That's really all I need to know. You'll get totally hosed if you sell that thing. If you're wiping your back side with $100 bills, go ahead and sell it, but otherwise it won't be worth it. I was going to suggest building a custom bike carrying hitch on the back that your bike could ride on and still let you tow the car behind it. After reading the replies, I also vote for a tandem tow dolly. It'll be so much cheaper than selling the current MH and buying something else, and it should work well for you.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I probably should have pointed out that the bike is actually a trike. A custom conversion that is nearly show quality. I considered the tandem dolly, but that would expose the bike to the elements. Covering it would not be an option because when they flap in the wind, they beat up the paint.

I looked into a covered trailer that could hold both the small car and the bike, but weight became the issue. I'm only rated at 5K lbs.

I thought about the truck idea, but again the bike would be in the elements.

Because of the very special deal I got when I bought the original MH, my trade-in is nearly all that I paid for it. In fact, one dealer offered me more than I paid for it as part of a deal he was pushing. That deal was never going to happen because the Newmar was out of my league and the garage was not very good at all. The living end of the coach was everything you would expect from Newmar. The back just plain sucked.

No, I'm not made of money, but I'm still not over-invested in the MH because of the low price I paid for it. I might have to finance the new one, but I own the original one outright.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. My plan is to be on the road for five months next year to include Sturgis, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Oregon coast, the Redwood Forest, and return to Virginia via the southern route. Having only the bike on that long a trip would be less than ideal.
RI Expat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

Not going to give you advice on which to buy,
BUT
You only live once....

If you can have your cake and eat it too, why not....

I was once told, that if you compromise, you only punish yourself....
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #9

Look at the Swivel Wheel Trailer by Cruiser Lifts. That’s the way that I will go once we decide to FT and I keep the bike.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
I probably should have pointed out that the bike is actually a trike.
Oh, well, that does change things. Have you considered a truck with a hard cover you can put in the stake pockets? With an 8 foot bed, the trike should fit in the back. (Might want to fact check me here. I'm assuming that since just about all bikes do.) A gas F150 or equivalent shouldn't be too heavy, but would give you a nice enclosed cage to ride around in.

A custom light weight cover that fits in teh stake pockets and comes together in the middle with clasps might work to protect the trike. That way you could load the trike, then the right side of the cover, then left side of cover, then latch the sides together. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would keep the trike mostly out of the weather and not scratch the paint.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wouldn't a truck hauling a trike in the bed be over the OP's hitch rating (5k) for his RV? I know our prior 1500 Silverado was over 4600k. I'd think the suggested F-150 would be similar. Our neighbor's Can-Am Spyder weighs close to 1k. By my math that'd be at ~5600k combined...over the hitch rating.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #12

OK, so I wanted to take my bike with me (mentioned about about having a tandem tow dolly for a month. My compromise was our Mini. I’ve driven Mini’s for 15 years now. We’re on our 3rd that we bought specifically for the purpose of being able to leave the bike home and go on this adventure. I traded the one we bought 8 months before and lost my ass on that car. It’s a Roadster 2-seat convertible that handles well enough to give me that “free” feeling my bike brings. My wife indulges me that after a long week of work I want to go “play” in the curves. Maybe consider a car that gives you the same thrill of riding (if there is such and animal)?

One thing I can’t see is moving from something you like to a coach that is “ok” just to get the trike inside and a car behind. That just seems counter productive to me since you’re not in it full time (if you were full time that to me might be a different scenario).
Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

how about this,
Sell the trike and get a two wheeled motorcycle that will fit on a carrier at the rear of the MH. Then tow a car.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The other problem I see is going from and Entegra to another less quality Thor product.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote