Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Something easily overlooked in maintenance

I looked other places for this but could not find a place, if moved I understand. I was out doing some preventive maintenance the other day and I mentioned it to a friend that also has a MH and it surprised him when he checked his. I owned a Tractor and Trailer and did this every year. I tighten and or check all the water hose clamps on the engine, radiator, and even the heater hose clamps. From heat and cooling cycles they can become loose and when it gets hot in the summer with the temps could cause a leak. It doesn't take long to "snug" them up a little and do some inspections of the hoses at the same time. At least half of mine needed a little attention. If a hose were to blow on the road it could be very expensive and dangerous. This is true with all types of hoses not just MH's, and don't forget the coolant hoses on the gen if that applies. Just trying to help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with you. We used to Boat. A loose clamp can literally sink the boat! Making them part of your preventive maint schedule in that case may actually save your life!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

You guys caused me to hurt my arm patting myself on the back. I do almost no maintenance myself - if it needs more than a screwdriver or adjustable wrench I am really not interested. But I do regularly check hoses, fittings, bolts, etc for tightness. You would be surprised how many loose things I find and tighten.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Very good advice! It pays to look at the so called little things, they can turn into big things very easily. Last year I was doing just that and I found the positive cable on the starter was very loose. It wasn't showing any symptoms when I was starting the engine, but as loose as it was it would not of been very long before trouble.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #5

A little tighten of each hose clamp each year and you very well may have the clamp cutting right through that hose. It does not take a lot of clamping force to keep a hose in place. The rubber the hoses are made from does compress and will continue to compress as long as it keeps being "tightened". So use caution your not overtightening
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I looked other places for this but could not find a place, if moved I understand. I was out doing some preventive maintenance the other day and I mentioned it to a friend that also has a MH and it surprised him when he checked his. I owned a Tractor and Trailer and did this every year. I tighten and or check all the water hose clamps on the engine, radiator, and even the heater hose clamps. From heat and cooling cycles they can become loose and when it gets hot in the summer with the temps could cause a leak. It doesn't take long to "snug" them up a little and do some inspections of the hoses at the same time. At least half of mine needed a little attention. If a hose were to blow on the road it could be very expensive and dangerous. This is true with all types of hoses not just MH's, and don't forget the coolant hoses on the gen if that applies. Just trying to help.
Deifinately always check hoses. I have learned this form being a boater. The hard way. I have a diesel engine in my boat. Lots of hoses.. Sucks up water to cool the engine and trannny.. Lots of fluid hoses.. The thing with a boat it sits a lot at the slip. One time I was all set to take off after not being at the boat for a few weeks. We were going for a weekend jaunt. Was checking the oil and fluids and noticed the bilge.. I don't know how a many gallons but my bilge was full of diesel full. A fuel line had had worked it self loose and was dripping. Thank God the Bilge pump was off.. It would have pumped all that stuff into the ocean.. (upwards of $10,000 fine). So now I check all my hoses. before and after a trip. I will do the same on the motor home. If that had been gasoline that would have really been bad...
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
A little tighten of each hose clamp each year and you very well may have the clamp cutting right through that hose. It does not take a lot of clamping force to keep a hose in place. The rubber the hoses are made from does compress and will continue to compress as long as it keeps being "tightened". So use caution your not overtightening
Hose clamps have a tenacity to vibrate loose with engine and road vibration. I have never cut a hose by snugging them every spring. Even the spring loaded ones will become loose in time, that is why the springs are there!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, yes and yes!

Had an upper radiator hose pop off driving down the highway last fall- man, talk about a huge cloud of steam and the sudden need to change pants!

We'd had all the hoses changed a few weeks earlier- did somebody forget to tighten one hose clamp?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
I lay on my creeper and roll up and down under my MH checking wires, clamps bolts, leaks, ect. I guess being an ex boeing 747 inspector, it's in my blood.

Last year I found two loose bolts on my front sway bar brackets. (not good). I replaced both sides.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the reminder. I found a loose clamp on my engine from the start and only because there was oil starting to make a mess on the side of the engine. I like to keep the engine clean so any change in appearance can be a clue to a problem. Next grease job the hoses get inspected too. This thing is as bad as my airplane. Fly it for an hour and work on it for 5.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked in boating for a long time, and I always carried a 5/16 th winch to tighten hose clamps. Just have a good feel and you will not over tighten.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post

I have seen this happen so I tend to leave the clamps alone unless I see signs of leakage, usually it leaves a mark on the area where it's leaking.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have seen this happen so I tend to leave the clamps alone unless I see signs of leakage, usually it leaves a mark on the area where it's leaking.
X3....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Hose clamps have a tenacity to vibrate loose with engine and road vibration. I have never cut a hose by snugging them every spring. Even the spring loaded ones will become loose in time, that is why the springs are there!
Mark your clamp screw somehow(touch up paint, finger nail polish etc) and you will see, they do not loosen.....it is the rubber beneath the clamp compressing, thus creating what appears as a loose clamp. This is why I mentioned repeated tightening of clamps will eventually force the clamp through the hose.

Tags
maintenance