Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #1

Foretravel Owners Club
For those who have not taken the PLUNGE to become a fulltimer--here's something you may not think about till it's too late. Since 9/11 setting up a new bank account has become increasingly difficult. Banks will no longer take your word for your address. The laws governing setting up a bank account have gotten much tighter. Homeland Security doesn't recognize MAILING ADDRESSES. Simply having a mail forwarding service does NO GOOD. You have to have a PERMANENT PHYSICAL ADDRESS in order to open a bank account. So BEWARE before you leave that stick house on a permanent basis!

Gypsy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
For those who have not taken the PLUNGE to become a fulltimer--here's something you may not think about till it's too late. Since 9/11 setting up a new bank account has become increasingly difficult. Banks will no longer take your word for your address. The laws governing setting up a bank account have gotten much tighter. Homeland Security doesn't recognize MAILING ADDRESSES. Simply having a mail forwarding service does NO GOOD. You have to have a PERMANENT PHYSICAL ADDRESS in order to open a bank account. So BEWARE before you leave that stick house on a permanent basis!

Gypsy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
A timly thought.

Our Financial Advisor went to a seminar and was told what you outlined. Full-timers do fit a profile that brings attention.

Our solution was to keep our pre full time checking account active and do an address change.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #4

Our mail forwarding service also offers the use of a physical address for opening accounts, getting license plates, etc.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #5

I have used my father's address for my "permanent" address. Even when I have stayed some place for a while, I don't change that address.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #6

....I use my financial advisor for all that crap.....I get mail once a month via overnite[use his address]-sign the checks and drop them in the mail-if I'm out over the end of the month...I pay all the bills on the last day of the month and have for 28 years....If they can't accomodate me-I close the account and spend money somewhere else.....It's my money and I have control over it till I let that contol go to someone else....OR ANOTHERWORDS:...."He with the gold makes the rules......" geofkaye
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #7

We just use my parents address as our permanent home address, but it wouldn't make a difference, just keep your existing bank accounts. Most likely they have debit card access and/or electronic banking, so it really doesn't matter where it's based.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 AM   #8

If you do choose to move your banking activities to your new residence, consider making that residence Escapees RV Club in Livingston, TX. The Escapees provide a physical address on Rainbow Drive that meets all legal requirements for any type of activity. And Texas is one of the easiest states in which to qualify as a resident.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
For the 6 years we have been fulltiming, Tania and I have used a Mail Boxes, Etc in Wilmington, Delaware as both our legal address and mail forwarder.

We recently changed banks and wasn't questioned about this address at all, probably because of the length of time we've been using it.

Interestingly enough, when we renewed our Delaware drivers licenses last year, we ran into a stone wall after they crossed checked our address against our name.

The DMV manager on duty was aware of RV Fulltimers and called for approval from the Delaware DMV headquarters in Dover. Our drivers licenses now includes "Mail Boxes, Etc." in the address block.

Dave

[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote