Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Something that reminded me of SeaJay

I belong to a group that raises money here in the Alberni valley to assist all area kids who are in need of assistance. We are presently raffling off four prizes to raise funds for same.

I was at our local Walmart selling tickets with our two minibikes (prizes) on display under our sign which says
"Port Alberni Toy Run"
"For The Kids"
A gentleman wearing a USS Midway walked towards me and smiled and handed me a fiver. I handed him a book of tickets and asked how many he wanted to purchase and he just smiled and said, "I'm a yank young fella (did I mention this guy looked older than me) so I can't take any prizes from you. I just would like to make a donation 'for the kids'"

Yah know something, SeaJay is right. You can never take the Navy out of someone who's been there done that. I thanked the gentleman profusely and asked what branch he served in and he said "American."

At this point I pulled a SeaJay and saluted him and he returned it as if it was natural. And it made my whole day worthwhile. He hurried into the store and about an hour later he and his party left and as he went by our table he said "Keep up the good work, sailor" and went on his way.

I have no idea the man's name but I will always remember his face and beaming smile. All I know is he lives in Maricopa Az and next time I'm there playing trains I hope I run into him again.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
God bless those that have SERVED...My older brothers, my best friend Charlie...but those of us...Who went to Woodstock...Love our COUNTRY...Love and SUPPORT our VETS....But sometimes I feel on this FORUM...If you have not servered...you are not important or have anything to add..I love Seejay's writting...but RV'ing is not about WW2 or Iraq... It is about what we have in common NOW...and if I get KICKED off..
So be it...I still have PAID for a spot at Bethpage..Peace....D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I belong to a group that raises money here in the Alberni valley to assist all area kids who are in need of assistance. We are presently raffling off four prizes to raise funds for same.

I was at our local Walmart selling tickets with our two minibikes (prizes) on display under our sign which says
"Port Alberni Toy Run"
"For The Kids"
A gentleman wearing a USS Midway walked towards me and smiled and handed me a fiver. I handed him a book of tickets and asked how many he wanted to purchase and he just smiled and said, "I'm a yank young fella (did I mention this guy looked older than me) so I can't take any prizes from you. I just would like to make a donation 'for the kids'"

Yah know something, SeaJay is right. You can never take the Navy out of someone who's been there done that. I thanked the gentleman profusely and asked what branch he served in and he said "American."

At this point I pulled a SeaJay and saluted him and he returned it as if it was natural. And it made my whole day worthwhile. He hurried into the store and about an hour later he and his party left and as he went by our table he said "Keep up the good work, sailor" and went on his way.

I have no idea the man's name but I will always remember his face and beaming smile. All I know is he lives in Maricopa Az and next time I'm there playing trains I hope I run into him again.
Cool story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
God bless those that have SERVED...My older brothers, my best friend Charlie...but those of us...Who went to Woodstock...Love our COUNTRY...Love and SUPPORT our VETS....But sometimes I feel on this FORUM...If you have not servered...you are not important or have anything to add..I love Seejay's writting...but RV'ing is not about WW2 or Iraq... It is about what we have in common NOW...and if I get KICKED off..
So be it...I still have PAID for a spot at Bethpage..Peace....D
Hmm..?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Dixieray53, I am sorry that you feel "you are not important or have anything to add". I have always believed every citizen of this great country has an obligation to serve. I chose to volunteer for the Air Force and I chose to go to Vietnam. Some are not cut out for the military but that does not mean that they cannot serve in some other capacity. Maybe Peace Corp, police, firefighter, nurse, doctor, repair a road, help the disabled, feeble, poor, old. We each can decide what way to serve. And be proud of what we did. If you served your country in your way then you have just as much right to voice the pride in that as we do. After all, my service to my country was to give you the right to be here too..............we are all Americans................ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Cool story..

Hmm..?
Sorry guys...bad day...Peace..D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote