Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Something you gotta do if you haven't !

The other day we ran into an issue that shocked the heck out of us and I'm mad at myself for not being ready for it... I want everyone to avoid this in your families!

My mother passed away after a long illness a few months back,
you can never get prepared for it, but she had a great life before she took ill.

She had remarried and while she was happy and my siblings and I were nice enough to our step-father, he wasn't DAD, if you know what I mean...

and as we got to know his kids, we learned they were not our types
actually more like swine as far as we were concerned

Well, my siblings called after a few weeks to go help him clean out Mother's stuff... and he said we didn't need to his kids had already done that !
My siblings were wise to wait until now to tell me !

The Lord knows it's a good thing I wasn't involved in that conversation - there would have been some serious come to Jesus 'discussion'...

Now you see why I am mad at myself for ALLOWING this to happen...

A warning to you...
make sure you cover every contingency before it's needed !

that EVERYTHING is in the will,
EVERYTHING is in writing,
NOTHING is left to 'interpretation'...
even to the point of what to do with "her pets"

just trying to help you avoid it....

I am ready to discuss getting her stuff back not for the monetary part, but just to teach the pigs how to fly !

sorry for the rant - you all take heed.... people do unbelievable things !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

.... people do unbelievable things !
Yep, like writing a bunch of checks and running up credit cards.
J

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
JohnBoyToo..Sorry for your loss. It makes it even worse when something like that happens. It's sad what people will do at a time when you need "family" the most. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great advice! I had that same problem when my dad died!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

I've seen this happen so many times. Death in the family often brings out the worst in people. The lying & stealing just amazes me. Especially when often it's of little monetary value.
Yes, it should all be written down and better yet make a movie of it so all can see what their wishes were.
Sorry to hear you had to go through this.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Yep, like writing a bunch of checks and running up credit cards.
J
This happened in our family also!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
I've seen this happen so many times. Death in the family often brings out the worst in people. The lying & stealing just amazes me. Especially when often it's of little monetary value.
Yes, it should all be written down and better yet make a movie of it so all can see what their wishes were.
Sorry to hear you had to go through this.
X2

I've seen it happen several times myself and DW and I have taken steps to try to avoid any of this happening to our kids.

A death in the family seems to bring out the worst in so many people.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you ever want to find the true nature of a person, Let money be involved. You can't buy class. Anyone with an ounce of class would know the Wife's belongings go first choice to her kids.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

I would be furious too. We are going through that now, DW's mother passed away last weekend and we have to make sure my sister in law (who I have never met) does not attempt to grab more than her share. My brother in law and I almost came to blows after mom passed away, my sister decided to ignore mom's stated wishes and do things her way (as usual).
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

My grandma who is 86 and raised me. She had a mild heart attack least fall. The vultures have been circling ever since. Relatives broke into the house and took things while she was in the hospital. Crazy stuff! People already fighting over the will and she is alive and well living at home. Because of her poor memory and mild dementia the oldest son is living with her. So eventually she will have to put her into an assisted living facility. Because she suffers from dementia the will cannot be changed or altered. It is very generic. This person gets 80 acres of land. unfortunately when it comes to land. Once section of land could be worth 10K an acre. But just up the road different land could be worth half that amount. So I foresee lots of lawyers, judges and court battles.

Be specific when you make out a will. You also have to mention what happens if that person has passed away as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

The opposite happened to us when Mom and then Dad passed away. I was the executor and I hired an attorney to help me through all of the legal hoops. He warned me to watch over all of the "things" especially since I have 5 brothers and sisters scattered all across this country.

Not only did we survive the ordeal, but we all became closer. I sent daily emails about what was happening, even if nothing was happening. When it was all over, my lawyer told me he was so amazed at how we all acted, and in his 35+ years he only had a hand full of clients who acted as "grownup" as all of us did. "Important things" were send by mail to siblings, money accounts closed out, taxes paid and distributions made.

I know Mom and Dad are looking down and smiling at all of us. I can hear Dad saying to Mom "we did good Mom, we did good"
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Been there, I feel your pain...happened when my mom passed, my grandmother, and my aunt.....we just walked away....we refer to them as vultures.....
we now have the peace of mind that we have sold everything of value and are full timing in our RV....it really was therapeutic to go through our house hold personal stuff and deciding what to do with it!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most states recognize the current spouse as sole heir, unless a will says otherwise. This is unfortunate for most children of a diseased parent. I mean they could just be married for a short time, and the kids lose all those keepsakes of their lives to a possibly uncaring step parent or their kids. And they might not even care, but since it is their right, they take it. Yeah it is unpleasant to think of the eventual future but you gotta get stuff written in wills.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH
Most states recognize the current spouse as sole heir, unless a will says otherwise. This is unfortunate for most children of a diseased parent.

Yeah it is unpleasant to think of the eventual future but you gotta get stuff written in wills.
Also....don't forget or overlook the importance of a "Living Will" and "Power of Attorney". Nothing is worse than a mentally incompetent parent (or grown child) where no one has the legal authority to make vital decisions on their behalf.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote