Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Another 05 Dolphin owner here. When we purchased ours 9 years ago, it had only been used for 9 months, when the owner suffered a heart attack, and decided traveling was out of the question. Buying it slightly used (heck, the convection/microwave still had the plastic wrap on it), saved us a ton of money. We purchased it for the floorplan, along with the 8.1 engine combined with the allison tranny. Ours is only 33' in length, but has a large slide in the living area, and a small slide in the bedroom. We can stay in it with the slides closed in inclement weather, it has a lot of basement storage that you get with the larger 22.5 tires, and it pulls our Jeep toad without a problem. We only put about 30,000 miles on our coach in the last 9 years, so buying the gasser worked for us. However, we both recently retired, and as we begin to embark on longer trips for longer periods of time, it will be interesting to see how this coach provides for us. Good luck with your choice!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #16

This may have already been covered, but there are two kinds of power; HP and torque. There is plenty of HP in a V10, and plenty of torque in a diesel.

Your travel area has something to do with what you might be better off in. IF you do a lot of hills and mountains, then you'll really appreciate the torque that a DP gives you. A LOT less strain on the tranny because it isn't down-shifting nearly as much. You also get an engine or exhaust brake; otherwise you're using a gasser's foot brakes or having to manually downshift the tranny.

If your area is generally flat, then a gasser is going to do just fine. if you go through traffic alot, then the HP from a gasser is good for passing.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #17

Greg,

Here are some quick comments:

What will you be doing with your motorhome ? (you already said in a later post you will be a solo traveler).

Back roads vs. main highways?. Longer may not be better if you want to wander on "Blue Highways"

Where will you camp?. State and National parks may not be suited for a 40 - 45 ft. rig

Stay in one place for long periods vs. lots of driving?. Larger means more living space

Duration of trips?. Short trips don't require as much storage.

Preparing most of your meals in the coach?. Check counter space

Boonedocking? (dry camping). Tank capacities & battery bank size from larger coaches are desirable, but smaller size means easier access to out of the way places.

Type C, B, & A all have their attributes, as does diesel chassis. Floor plan is important, so maybe consider renting different types.

Lots of people on this forum will insist you absolutely must have a diesel pusher, but what you buy must suit your needs not somebody else's dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
.... that is the most asked.
As a newbie here I get a couple of passes for rolling eyes.
Need to buy a MH soon. This is a question of power. I believe I understand that a diesel pusher is the optimum choice in power. I have a brother who shutters every time I mention I am going to look at one with a Ford V10. The issue is I need to watch my budget and when I start looking at used MHs, I tend to always drift into the $70K units. To do so I would need to finance and just not sure I qualify (the economy really killed my credit).
I could be quite comfortable in a 2001 - 2003 MH, like the Bounder and such. But I just don't want to be that guy who took the cheap route and end up on the side of the road more often then not.
I am very handy. Can fix most anything.

I know this post is a bit scattered, but I guess I am just starving for info on what N O T to do as a first timer

Thanks all
Greg V
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if what I have to say will help at all but Here I go.

DH and I were also thinking DP vs Gas for a long time. DH is also very handy and knows Ford engines (gas engines) like the back of his hand. Diesel he could figure out but there are just some things he can not do.
We had several things on our list. Floorplan, length and storage. We must have lucked out with our 06 Winnebago Sightseer. It has a great floorplan, everything we wanted but at first I was not sure. Its just under 30 foot another issue I was concerned about with 5 dogs and 2 adults but it's working out great. Lastly storage. There is tons of basement storage. So much more then we expected and much more once we organize it and the interior storage is great.

I guess what I am saying is your gonna have to be Cinderella and just keep trying on rigs till the right one comes along.

Ours is gas and I am much more comfortable with a gasser. Guess because it can be repaired just about anywhere that does car engines if DH can't and that is far more places then a DP.

We could not be happier with our sightseer and plan on f/t as quickly as we can. Right now we have been living in it for the past 3 weeks testing if it we can and so far so good. Right now we can't see any other rig for us even as we discuss maybe in a few years getting one a bit larger but no larger then 36 foot.

Lots of luck on your choice.
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I plan on living in this and traveling while doing so. I live in CT and have family in TN and friends dotted everywhere it seems. I want to give myself a good year out in this, with the majority of my time using it as my only place to lay my head at nights.
Sold my home way faster then I figured it would go and kinda need to move fast on this deal. I will stay with my mom while I make the transition, ... so as much as I love her, it needs to be a somewhat quick transition.

I would "like" to tow a 20' Hallmark car trailer with possibly a Mini Cooper in it and whatever else. I figured an average size of 35' would be a good fit for me. As cool as 40 footers are, I just don't need that space. I tend to like cozy over roomy. Want slides. Being I am in the Northeast I can't forget that I may be fighting some cold weather as I know I may be here sometime during it.

Just want to cruise, visit, see as much of the country as I can in slow pace. If I had my choice I would rather stay in the woods alone in this rather then a crowded park, though I do want to do some of that also.

So, that is where I am right now. I will head up to Diamond RV tomorrow as they are having a big open house. Will be picking brains more then anything else.

Want used, but so far the "Great Condition" ones I have seen are basket cases and freak me out. LOL.
Very excited about this new life. I am a hardy guy, .. been living in a 220 year old house for years, .. heat with wood, etc.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just to toss this in...
What would you need a couch for if your bed was only a couple steps away with a tv on the wall at the foot of the bed or on a bracket above where you can watch it comfortably? Only men probably know the answer to this question... but... are naps on a sofa or in a recliner any better than on a bed? (and if so... is that worth it to you?)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
GREAT plan!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #22

Gas will work fine for you. Just got back from a trip to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg from Buffalo NY area and I had no problems through the Kentucky and Tenn. mountains towing DW's RAV4 on a dolly. Big difference in ride and handling of the gassers with the larger 24K chassis, you can tell by 22.5 inch tires vs. 19.5. We leave stuff on the kitchen counter on non-slip dollar store mats and nothing moves. At $70K to spend you should be able to find an excellent 34 to 36 gas rig a couple of year old. When we bought our rig in 2012 it was a 2011 Georgetown with 4000 miles on it and 4 hrs. on the genny. We got this rig for 3K more than what Camping World was asking for a 2007 Damon with a bashed in rear driver side bumper area that they were selling as is. Look and the deal is there, 2 years old. Good Luck, report back to us and let us know how you make out.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Since you are limited in how much you want to spend I think you will get a better coach in a gasser. Having had both, I don't think HP or torque or any other engine factor is important. Driving a diesel pusher is a lot quieter and actually easier.

I don't agree that you can't do all your service work. I always have--over the past 30 years. Except when we were at Red Bay having some warranty work done we've never had our motorhome at a dealer.

Having said that, a gasser is much easier and cheaper to maintain. We had gassers for 30 years before we bought the Phaeton. I really believe that is a good place to start. Class A gassers are pretty good these days. There are some things to pay attention to: Tires are expensive and should be replaced every 7 to 10 years depending on condition. Batteries are also a substantial cost and will be replaced every 5 or 6 years if they are well maintained. They might last only a year if not. The condition of the body may be important and is difficult and expensive to improve. Having said that, since you are willing to maintain and fix things you might get a really good deal with a fixer-upper. For me a coach that smells bad because someone has been smoking in it would be a big no. Animals can cause problems or not depending on how they are treated. We have always had a golden retriever, but you wouldn't know it by looking at our coach.

Go see lots of RV's before making your decision.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #24

Thanks again all,

Is the Ford V10 that much better then the Chevy V8? I would think that the V8 would have more torque and the V10 more HP. When I see something has the Chevy platform I tend to just move on, but maybe that is unjustified. ?

If there is a particular brand that you may feel I should just stay away from then let me know, .. in a PM if you want so no one is offended.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Sorry, I'm sure this is one of those questions...

This would have been a good unit for you. 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 35 foot
unfortunately it has just sold for $49,900. So, the deals are out there, keep an eye out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412996944.120644.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	76268
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Is the Ford V10 that much better then the Chevy V8? I would think that the V8 would have more torque and the V10 more HP. When I see something has the Chevy platform I tend to just move on, but maybe that is unjustified. ?

Yes that is very unjustified. Both the ford and chevy motors are good motors but different philosophies. The chevy motor will run at a lower RPM so it is quieter, especially is the mountains. But the real added bonus is that the chevy motor is matted to the bullet proof Allison transmission. Personally I think the Chevy/Allison combo is more desirable and seems to run at a premium over the ford platform.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #27

I'm on my fourth MH with the V-10 and I think it's a great engine. Plenty of power and have never had any problems.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I plan on living in this and traveling while doing so. I live in CT and have family in TN and friends dotted everywhere it seems. I want to give myself a good year out in this, with the majority of my time using it as my only place to lay my head at nights.
Sold my home way faster then I figured it would go and kinda need to move fast on this deal. I will stay with my mom while I make the transition, ... so as much as I love her, it needs to be a somewhat quick transition.

I would "like" to tow a 20' Hallmark car trailer with possibly a Mini Cooper in it and whatever else. I figured an average size of 35' would be a good fit for me. As cool as 40 footers are, I just don't need that space. I tend to like cozy over roomy. Want slides. Being I am in the Northeast I can't forget that I may be fighting some cold weather as I know I may be here sometime during it.

Just want to cruise, visit, see as much of the country as I can in slow pace. If I had my choice I would rather stay in the woods alone in this rather then a crowded park, though I do want to do some of that also.

So, that is where I am right now. I will head up to Diamond RV tomorrow as they are having a big open house. Will be picking brains more then anything else.

Want used, but so far the "Great Condition" ones I have seen are basket cases and freak me out. LOL.
Very excited about this new life. I am a hardy guy, .. been living in a 220 year old house for years, .. heat with wood, etc.
You just answered a very good question. ...the fact that you want to tow a 20' enclosed trailer can only be done with a DP. ..

Gas tow limit = 5000 lb

DP tow limit = 10000 lb