Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Sorry, I'm sure this is one of those questions...

.... that is the most asked.
As a newbie here I get a couple of passes for rolling eyes.
Need to buy a MH soon. This is a question of power. I believe I understand that a diesel pusher is the optimum choice in power. I have a brother who shutters every time I mention I am going to look at one with a Ford V10. The issue is I need to watch my budget and when I start looking at used MHs, I tend to always drift into the $70K units. To do so I would need to finance and just not sure I qualify (the economy really killed my credit).
I could be quite comfortable in a 2001 - 2003 MH, like the Bounder and such. But I just don't want to be that guy who took the cheap route and end up on the side of the road more often then not.
I am very handy. Can fix most anything.

I know this post is a bit scattered, but I guess I am just starving for info on what N O T to do as a first timer

Thanks all
Greg V
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
it's a matter of torque and size.

The DP's just have a lot more torque!! But i'll tell you something, I see A LOT of gassers "in the wild" and I don't see any of them complaining!!

If I were on a budget (and I was, my budget was scarcely more than yours), I would highly consider a gasser. I think you can get a much fresher unit for the money over DP.

Although I ended up with a DP, and I'm happy I did, I have a lot of fixer up money going into this rig. And if you can't hold back 10k to 15k (that you **might** need), then the gasser still might be a better choice.

Consequently, I see a TON of bounders driving around, so they must have something right.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
BY THE WAY, I'm writing this message from inside the bay at a CAT shop --- having my DP fixed

I suppose there are some things you can do yourself on a DP, but honestly, some things just require a shop, their computer systems, and their (expensive) parts.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might also consider a Class C - some of them are really nice - I know I did!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
You might also consider a Class C - some of them are really nice - I know I did!
Class C were considered but what I seem to find is that they are more family oriented, .. bunks and whatnot. I will be a solo traveler and one thing I really want is a comfy couch to lay back on.
Thanks
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is usage? Stay more or travel more. More traveling utilizes the diesel advantages of power, handling, and ride. We are once a month weekenders to nearby locations, with a couple weeklong trips a year where we drive further. A large gasser works best for us. At retirement in a few years, when we plan to be part timers, a DP coach is planned.

As for the money. I am a fan of paying cash. I like to earn interest, not pay it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #7

you can get into a 99' 98' 275 hp diesel for $25000 to $35000 depending on condition etc,,,. There are a ton of gas burners out there and they all have enough power to make it home. But the big dogs will pass you up on the hills, so what.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Class C were considered but what I seem to find is that they are more family oriented, .. bunks and whatnot. I will be a solo traveler and one thing I really want is a comfy couch to lay back on.
Thanks
And if you don't require a ton of storage underneath, I would go short... 34 -36 foot. Easy to drive and maneuver + lighter. Totally understand your desire for a full couch
Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

We have a "gasser" and are very pleased with the performance... Our last two vacations were 2000+ mile trips through mountains... This year was the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia and last year was Yellowstone and the Tetons.. Both vacations we were pulling a toad... did we get passed while climbing the mountains.. yes.. did we care... no.. we got to where we were going with no issues.. it may have taken us a few extra minutes.. no big deal...

VSHEETZ hit the nail on the head... You really need to analyze your usage.. We are also weekend warriors with at least one week long vacation. I believe you should look for the floorplan that works for you and your budget... Don't get caught into the testosterone filled conversation of GAS VS DIESEL.. Yes... diesels are great.. they are more powerful, quieter and more expensive.. I know I can't wait for the day I can buy mine.. but right now.. it was not practical to own a DP...

Best advice I can give; RESEARCH on these forums.. ASK a bunch of questions (and there are NO dumb questions).. there are some really knowledgeable people on here who want to help you have the best RV'ing experience possible..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
One of the things I did before purchasing our gas '05 Dolphin, was to spend a day at a Good Sam Rally - it seems there are one or two per year in every state - a little Google time will locate one. These folks are dedicated to their RV'ing and are happy to talk about the good and bad things about their rigs - past & present. For me it was time well spent.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I average less than 5000 miles a year so a gasser would work fine. Diesel engines last lot longer and pull better but just look at how u'll use it
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Having had both a diesel and gas, I much prefer the gas. Cheaper to maintain, easier to work on, and easier to find someone willing to work on it. As far as driving in the mountains, diesel pretty much wins that battle, but the gas will get you up the mountain, just a little bit slower. Consider the price of gas v/s diesel too.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

We went from a 5th wheel with diesel ford pulling to an 04 Holiday Rambler 40DST. We picked it up in Tucson last april and have put 6500 miles on it so far. headed out again in 2 weeks. Back to Tucson for the winter sometime in Dec. We bought from a dealer and was sold on consignment. 37k miles and it was $68k. There are lots of good deals out there if you look. Tucson and Phoenix are a meca for used RV's.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

X2 on rolling slow's comment. We bought an '02 32' gasser in 2010 from the original, very careful and conscientious owners. It only had 12,000 miles on it and less than 50 hours on the generator. We've put 6000 more miles on it and 18 hours or so on the genny. It's a Ford V-10/F53 chassis.

Sure, it rides like an 11-ton box truck, mainly because that's what it is under the disguise. I decided immediately that I'd rather spend the money on travel costs instead of ride and handling improvements. I'd done a couple of post-Boeing retirement years as a transit coach driver.

We've been satisfied with what we got for the outlay. It needed new slide toppers and tires immediately after we bought it. The only other expense has been a replacement fridge, but it was close to $1800!

Right now, there are a couple of minor body dings to clean up and the generator won't run after I neglected it over the winter of 2012/13 after cardiac surgery. Unfortunately the cost of operation (gas and CG fees) is getting to be too big a draw on our retiree income and we're getting less agile with age, so it'll be going up for sale in a couple of weeks.We'll be sad to see it go.