Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sound damping for generator

With my generator close to the ground, I feel it is excessively noisy as the sound bounces off the ground and into the outdoor living area.

I thought about getting a large piece of dynafoam or similar the placing it vertical in front of the generator to dampen the sound and push it to the backside (driver side) of the coach.

Has anyone done this or have suggestions to listen the rumble when trying to tailgate and hangout outside?

Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

I put a cheap 4x6 outdoor rug under mine and it dampens the sound a good bit. I also set a couple of tables up opposite the generator with a couple of heavy table clothes that extend all the way to the ground. This deflects the sound and the heat.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the sound is from the exhaust. Try a Ventrui which attaches to the exhaust pipe and point it up. It will also help disperse the exhaust fumes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Most of the sound is from the exhaust. Try a Ventrui which attaches to the exhaust pipe and point it up. It will also help disperse the exhaust fumes.
I have that, but the exhaust is on the driver's side so it isn't the noise problem. The problem, in my assessment, is that the class C is low to the ground and the generator compartment is open on the bottom and not insulated. This compares to a buddy's 5wheel were the generator is completely enclosed, so the exhaust pipe is the source of most of the noise.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

I use a Genturi, and it helps somewhat, but the cooling air from the generator engine exits from the bottom of the enclosure and definitely contributes to a significant amount of the noise. A sound-absorbent material under the generator sounds like a good idea; I'm gonna try this next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Keep in mind that Onan says a Genturi (or similar product) will void your warranty on your generator (if you have an Onan generator still under warranty).
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

The Onan resonator and a Supertrapp muffler virtually eliminates noise from exhaust. What one is left with are internal mechanical noise and vibration resonance.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
One word of caution about erecting any sort of vertical sound barrier, you could also end up restricting air flow for cooling.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
YC1

I have taped tarps along the passenger side for example. This leaves plenty of air for cooling etc. The noise drop is dramatic. I have a Gentur but the majority of the noise is the intake air.

I built a fairly exotic intake muffler as an experiment. What a difference but it was cumbersome. The tarps or rugs really help.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
An old piece of carpet placed on the ground directly under the genset will absorb a good bit of the noise.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You've gotten god advice from two people already about placing something on the ground. Even in your post, you suspect the sound is bouncing off of the ground. Try the carpet or even a 2"-3" thick piece of foam, the size of the generator on the ground. Seal one side so it doesn't collect dirt.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator