Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #29
When we purchased our last MH we were very excited, our first class A. Over the span of 20 months and many failed and interrupted trips due to the same problem I traded it in on my current MH. There were many trips that I had a knot in my stomach until we arrived at our location waiting for the engine to fail again. It was towed 3 times, taken to the shop 5 times and I was able to fix it enough to get us where we were going the rest of the times. A total of 11 times in 4200 miles and I am still RVing. I am either stupid or I love RVing, or maybe a little of both

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
We went the progression from hybrid trailer to large TT to our first Class A in 3 years time. An RV salesman's dream come true, upgrade every year!! We knew we would buy used and looked for quite a while, until my DW stepped into "the one". She loved it at once. We looked it over hard, drove it, thought about how we would use it (vacation travel/remote camping mothership), thought a bit more....and bought it. Few issues later, none major and we are headed to the beach in 2 days for a week. Can't wait. For us it was a matter of knowing we didn't want to go large and finding the correct sized vehicle/floorplan for our needs/wants. I am pretty handy at fixing things which I think is a plus with these type machines, and having a forum such as this you gain access to an enormous base of knowledge for troubleshooting. It's all good!!

Mark, Marilyn and Kobi
2004 Sightseer 30B, Ford V10, F53
mlb4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
Buyers Remorse should be my middle name. My DW and I talked about buying a RV for years but never seriously until last November. I enjoyed camping many years ago when I was Boy Scout and Scout Leader. My DW idea of camping is the Hilton. Neither of us knew anything about RV's until that first RV dealer we visited.

I spent hours on-line, found this website, read everything I could find on what to buy, what not to buy, what to ask the dealers, what to look for, we spent months looking at different RV's, comparing prices, making checklists, we set a maximum dollar amount, a maximum size, BUT when we purchased almost everything went out the window. We spent far more money then we planned and we have a much larger RV then we ever dreamed was possible.

We also jumped into the pool (ocean) at the deep end by selling our home and moving into our RV FT last July 12th. To date we have had one mouse infestation, 5 ant infestations, one flood from the washing machine when the gray water tank overflowed into the shower, numerous problems with black water stink which I think I have traced to the rear toilet leaking, a DC power failure that left us without power for 5 days. Little to no space to cook or use the computer or store needed supplies. Driving this beast scares me on so many levels, mostly my fear of what if something goes wrong, how much is it going to cost me, to my last trip when I took it out for the day to visit the RV repair shop ($220 just for labor) on my return home I had to make a narrow left turn, I was so careful to check that my left rear tires were not hitting the curb, my right rear tires clipped the other curb sending the coach into a violet rock and roll. Besides my pride hurt we lost a number of dishes that fell from an upper cabinet.

So yes I have Buyers Remorse but I am all in as they say in Vegas. I now know how to stop ants and mice in your RV, how to fix my 12volt system, how to prevent flooding, how to keep the RV cooler on hot summer days, how to better stack dishes and secure cabinets, and how to cook a big meal with absolutely no counter space. Much was learned from reading this website thanks to so many of you with lots more experience. So for as long as we can afford to live the lifestyle we will shall continue to FT. Learning I am sure something new each day about what it means to own an RV
I loved reading this! I like your honesty. Even chuckled at your curb hitting incident. I think we've all been there. It's not funny, I know, but I related to it because I've had similar incidents.
And yeah, "I'm al in" too! Really looking forward to the experiences! ( for better or worse)
Um, could you pass on to me the tip on how to keep mice out of the MH? Winter is coming and I'll be putting her away for storage soon and the last thing that I want is rodent infestation!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
one flood from the washing machine when the gray water tank overflowed into the shower,
Yup... did that one. I think it was about 1:00AM while at a no sewer campsite in a Nat Forest. Honey, What's that smell? Get up... squish, squish, Oh Crap!... Fun night. We survived. Will rent out the S&B and we're looking forward to full time in a few weeks.
Tom&Mel with a new Red Wrangler Unlimited toad & a 2005 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ to tow the toad.
Tomthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #33
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a few questions you need to answer for yourself..can we afford it and most of all, can we live in close quarters 24/7??? I believe we all have buyer's remorse, but some people have trouble dealing with the thought of the money...or the losing of it....but the DW & myself have worked way too hard to get to where we are now and enjoy the motohome everytime we go out. We are not full times, nor are we vacationers. In the past year, we have traveled over 10,000 miles and have seen so much. We know that if it wasn't for the MH, we would not have seen so much & done as much as we have done.

Over priced.....YES
Expensive repairs....OH YES

just my two cents worth

Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote