Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #1

Sour stomach

Has anyone ever experienced an issue or scenario that made you second guess your decision of buying a RV or RV lifestyle?
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #2

My first MH which was used not much money $35,000 then our next one was new I got a little sick. Then when we purchased our new rev. the first couple of days it was a lot of second guessing and what have I done. But I have loved it every since.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #3

Buyers remorse is not uncommon. That is why there is a normal three day clause. My feelings are usually this. If I feel un easy about it then I know its not right but if I feel excited I know it's right.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are going through this right now.
For the last few years we have been in a retirement community and we paid about $85,000 for the house, today we are going to look at a $145,000 RV, we will be going from 2,300 sq ft to 500 or less
The DW says it does not compute, what are we doing???
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I am having buyers remorse at the moment. I bought a used rig 2 years ago and although I expected some of the trials and tribulations I have experienced, I wasn't quite prepared for the onslaught. It is a good thing I am at least somewhat handy or I would be in the poor house right now.

I have: had the transmission fail 2x
Had 1/2 of my windscreen pop out
Radio currently isn't working (antenna issue somewhere)
Service engine light is on (air temperature sensor issue, replaced sensor, didn't fix so problem still to be solved)
replaced aging roof and all all cowlings
bought 8 new tires
dealt with numerous plumbing leaks in a variety of place
replaced a failed front TV
repaired just about every drawer slide and retainer clip
had the rear slide readjusted
and more...

Some is just normal maintenance, some is not. The veritable symphony of failures and in some cases build problems has been staggering for a 2 year span. It isn't even at that high mileage at 40000 miles. It didn't look particularly abused or misused when I bought it but I have to think at this stage that maybe I bought the proverbial lemon. It could also be that I am posting this right on the heels of my 2nd Tranny failure.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

The reason for the post is the wife and I are ex boaters. And if any of you were at one time you will know exactly where I am coming from. Piss pour service, over inflated prices, no body cares about your property I can go on an on, that's sold so on to the next headache RV? am I stupid.
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

Even if you buy from a dealer or a private party, if you don't have the knowledge to inspect every thing top to bottom, then find someone who has it. There are too many things to look at and go over.Sometimes if something is amiss they have the uncanny way of sliding it by you. I've alway said to to sit with someone who has the knowledge before you go look and make a list (make copies) of everything to check out and look at on a RV, the coach and the chassis. Go over the whole RV and check things off one by one making notes etc. Then make a decsion based on your notes. It still can be a big decsion but atleast you felt you did your best to make the right decsion.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spend some $ and get everything inspected with a written report. Make sure the equipment is current and useful today. Our MH had a sat dome and that was a selling point, I did not know it was essentially useless until I tried to use it. I think you need to prepare to spend some $ to make it yours but big stuff like engine, transmission
, brakes, tires, suspension, entertainment, refrigerator, batteries, air cond. ETC need to be known quantities before you buy. I personally did not buy the extended warranty for a mere $4700, I put it it in the bank and figure I will need it someday. I was not as wise as I describe when we bought and it did cost us some bucks.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
The reason for the post is the wife and I are ex boaters. And if any of you were at one time you will know exactly where I am coming from. Piss pour service, over inflated prices, no body cares about your property I can go on an on, that's sold so on to the next headache RV? am I stupid.
If your boat was a 42ft fountain I don't know if I would use the word stupid but.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Someone said "7.8 Earthquake going down the road " The difference to me is when something major fails, a local mechanic will be there shortly , on the boat it was the Coast Guard or a passing freighter if you were lucky to be close enough to a major shipping lane.

"Piss pour service, over inflated prices, no body cares about your property " that pretty well sums up the times we live in. I learned along time ago how to fix just about anything there is in a pinch.

The benefit today, is that we have the internet and great sites like this one .
Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased our first MH a couple of months ago. Having just paid off our mortgage we were looking for something exciting to embark upon. So we jumped back into debt once again a purchased our 24' Itasca. I have thought about the buyers remorse question many times since purchasing it. It was a lot of money for something that we may only use a few times a year. Therin lies the key. We will get our use out of it. It is not going to be our "lawn ornament". Especially since we just returned from our maiden trip to Maine. We stayed at an ocean front CG for 3 nights. It was awesome, just awesome! When I ambled on up to the rest room later on in the evening on that hot summer night and took in the sight of all those campers with their party lights, the smell of food cooking, the campfires, the friendly folks we encountered, I thought to myself that this is something that we can be a part of and enjoy. We aren't sorry, we are embracing this different way of life as we reinvent ourselves heading into the final frontier of our lives!!
Can't wait for our next trip!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
We are going through this right now.
For the last few years we have been in a retirement community and we paid about $85,000 for the house, today we are going to look at a $145,000 RV, we will be going from 2,300 sq ft to 500 or less
The DW says it does not compute, what are we doing???
One thing to really look at is 'how much will you REALLY use he unit? My first RV was a $60,000 32' fleetwood and had I known then what I know know (bedroom slide and the WH engine/platform) I never would have spent the next 40K for something bigger/better.

But back to the dollars and cents? That's a lot of money for 'something' if it's going to be 'parked' the majority of the time. Save for you really are going to spread your wings and travel.

The other 'good option' is to just rent something when you need it. Why not try that and see what you think before you really jump in with your cheque book?
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Buyers remorse is not uncommon. That is why there is a normal three day clause. My feelings are usually this. If I feel un easy about it then I know its not right but if I feel excited I know it's right.
Suggest you do some research on the 'normal three day clause'. The three day buyers remorse provision is limited to special sales practices, and would NOT come into play on almost all RV sales.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #14

I would bet you stop doubting yourself so much as soon as you build a little confidence up regarding your purchase? When you first bring it home you are pretty much starting at zero. After getting a chance to piddle with it a bit, and load it with your "stuff", the confidence meter comes to life. The meter than goes to half scale or so the first couple times you use it, and pegs on full the first time you get to use it for an extended trip....

Congrats, and best of luck! -Al