Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

South Dakota as residence?

Hi, I would like to hear from folks that use a South Dakota as their home address. How do rates on insurance compare to other states. Currently using Florida, where we did buy a home, but considering giving up the property tax resident credit because of the horrendous fees and strange insurance regulations. Thanks for any help, Dave
ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

I have found South Dakota to be a great deal, license plates are cheap, low sales tax, no taxes on pensions. Easy to establish. Walk in to the department of licensing and will usually be only a few people waiting for service at most locations. I can't think of any downsides.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

You can't be a South Dakota resident if you're still living in Florida. Are you going full-time in your RV and selling the Florida home? If so, then you definitely can get a South Dakota address as your domicile address.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

I don't know how to do this correctly so here goes. Why can't we own a home in FL and pay non resident property tax and claim SD as our home state? We previously had 2 homes, MN and FL, and had MN as our residence state but switched to FL for tax reasons. Would like to spend 7 months or more in the RV and the balance in FL.
ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

You can own property in every state of the nation, your domicile can be established by having a mailing address and driver's license in South Dakota. You will have to sign a residency affidavit in South Dakota stating that at some point you will return to South Dakota. You can also have your RV licensed under a LLC in Montana and still have South Dakota for a home state. I've done it for years. Safe Travels.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Probably the biggest thing against SD is its location if you are under 65 and have to go home (domicile) for health care coverage). If you are on Medicare, no problem. SD is just far from everything. As mentioned, you can also register your RV in another state like AZ or WY for cost purposes.
This should help:
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

I found some great information about South Dakota residence/licensing etc at MyDakotaAddress.com
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshoby View Post
I don't know how to do this correctly so here goes. Why can't we own a home in FL and pay non resident property tax and claim SD as our home state? We previously had 2 homes, MN and FL, and had MN as our residence state but switched to FL for tax reasons. Would like to spend 7 months or more in the RV and the balance in FL.
Yes, you can do that. Your first post didn't state that you would be RVing for 7 months.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We became South Dakotaians years ago. Great state!
Come join us.
Bently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We initially established our legal domicile in South Dakota after retiring from Wisconsin. It was easy to do, only caveat, you need to return once every 5 years, at minimum, to renew your driver's license. Renewal date is based on your birthdate. If your birthday is in January, as example, not the best time of year to visit for most of us (you can renew up to 90 days prior to your birthday, but if you go past your birthday, be prepared to be retested). As you know, the Florida drivers license is good for 8 years.

We've recently changed to Florida. Our insurance, same coverage, on the motorhome went up about 25%. This is offset by much lower registration fees. Our annual renewal for the coach in SD was just under $500 (you'll need to check what yours would be, I believe weight is a factor), Florida will be around $60.

Medical insurance was not an issue for us as I had a retiree plan from my employer that would travel with us. This year we both go onto Medicare, so again, not an issue for us.

Not knowing what property tax difference would be for you, I'm thinking changing from Florida to South Dakota will be, at best, a net zero.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Terri at mydakotaaddress is wonderful. She can take care of everything for your remotely except for obtaining a driver's license. And you can ask for a 6 month extension. Spouse's birthday is in Dec and mine is in May so he asks for an extension and then we get them when the weather is better. We had no issues voting in the last election by absentee ballot and there is a nice state park in Madison to stay at while you conduct your business. Madison is a small town so the wait to do anything at DMV and the courthouse is minimal though I think DMV is only in Madison on Tuesdays, weather permitting.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote